George Allen and Jim Webb are debating....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Verte and deep we sure could use y'all here in Virginia :wink:

The debate was pretty dull, but overall Allen's responses were typical Republican sound bytes, and Webb sounded much more authentic.

I agree it was dull

my concerns

Allen may appeal to a lot of Virginians

his answers were almost cliche GOP sound bites

3,000,000 got tax cuts

death tax death tax

and then on the physical appearance

Allen is taller, has darker hair,
(under his yarmulke)

ugh...just thinking about this election makes my stomach wrench.

i've got high hopes...but unfortunately i'm in the armpit of the state, which is very much republican. and i have to listen to all their bs.

I'm tired and just misread this thread as "George Allen and Jim Webb are dating."

I have a reminder notice on my day planner to go vote this week because I'll be absent during the elections. Can't wait be the first one to vote against this Allen character. :mac:

Might have been fun.:wink: Good luck, Virginia. Hoping to get rid of Santorum here.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Now THAT would be awesome :D

They could play pin the tail on the racist or misogynist

Because Webb wrote an article that stated he believed women should not fight, go into combat in 1979, hardly makes him a misogynist, woman hater.

I'll bet many if not most women may have voted to keep women out of combat in 1979.

There may be more to justify your label, I just could not find it.

And we do have Allen calling "Macaca" now in 2006, not just in the 70s.

We had a debate in Michigan today as well - a gubernatorial one - but no one watched since our baseball team played in Oakland. :D

deep said:

Because Webb wrote an article that stated he believed women should not fight, go into combat in 1979, hardly makes him a misogynist, woman hater.

I'll bet many if not most women may have voted to keep women out of combat in 1979.

There may be more to justify your label, I just could not find it.

And we do have Allen calling "Macaca" now in 2006, not just in the 70s.

If Webb were running as a Republican - would you be giving him the same benefit of the doubt?

woot! I voted today! :hyper: Not only did I get to vote against Allen, but I also got to vote no on a piece of blatant homophobic legislation. :no: Doing one's civic duty feels good. lol. I only hope they count my ballot.

AEON said:

If Webb were running as a Republican - would you be giving him the same benefit of the doubt?

I condemn racists behavior regardless of party affiliation

and as I posted, unless there is more about Webb being anti-woman than the 1979 opinion, the charge is not strong

I would not be surprised if Colin Powell, and McCain did not want women in combat in 1979, but I am not sure

there was a little bit of scuttlebutt about the Dem Gov of N M being too friendly, hugging women, recently

I did not, would not defend that.

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:
, but I also got to vote no on a piece of blatant homophobic legislation.

thankyouthankyouthankyou.

did you do it by absentee ballot? since i don't have a car, it's a pain in the arse getting to the place where they want me to vote so was thinking about voting by absentee ... was it hard to do?

Irvine, I applied for absentee ballot. I've done it before. It's very easy! Just go to the town website of where you're registered and give them a call! They'll point you in the direction.

Good luck!

Irvine511 said:
thankyouthankyouthankyou.

You're welcomewelcomewelcome! If this amendment was meant to be a "wedge" issue to drive conservative voters to the polls, it worked in the opposite direction in my case. :)

I hope you get your absentee ballot thing worked out. I live and work in a small town, so I just went into the county office at lunchtime and did it in person, but I assume you can do it by mail as well.

the request for the ballot is sitting in an envelope and ready to go.

i just have to remember to bring in some stamps tomorrow

BonosSaint said:
I'm tired and just misread this thread as "George Allen and Jim Webb are dating."

I thought the same thing. :D

Giggles and reaches for junk food.

(I know this is a serious thread. I'm just all politicked out.)

Back
Top Bottom