Geographic Literacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I admit it, I'm terrible at geography. Are there still geography classes in high school and college? I remember some of my favorite toys as a kid were the US map in which you had to place the states and a world globe. I think I need to study again. At least I know where Louisiana is..

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/index.html

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed.

The study found that less than six months after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, 33 percent could not point out Louisiana on a U.S. map.

The National Geographic-Roper Public Affairs 2006 Geographic Literacy Study paints a dismal picture of the geographic knowledge of the most recent graduates of the U.S. education system.

"Taken together, these results suggest that young people in the United States ... are unprepared for an increasingly global future," said the study's final report."

# Thirty-three percent of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map.
# Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
# Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
# Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
# Forty-seven percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
# Seventy-five percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
# Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
# Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.
# Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Test yourself :wink:

usa_color.gif

world0.gif

MrsSpringsteen said:

Well nothing as far as I know, other than the fact that maybe people aren't being taught where it is on a map. Does Bush know? :wink:

:hmm: People not being taught vs. people learning.

I would think the location would have some bearing on the importance of taking action in the region.

nbcrusader said:
I would think the location would have some bearing on the importance of taking action in the region.

does it really matter where the evildoers who attacked us on 9-11 live?

MrsSpringsteen said:
# Thirty-three percent of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map.
# Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
# Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
# Forty-seven percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
# Seventy-five percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
# Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
# Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.
# Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

:tsk:

<i'm 18 and i knew all of those :D

:wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
# Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

this show the attitude, they don't want to learn this stuff.

:|

Irvine511 said:
does it really matter where the evildoers who attacked us on 9-11 live?

Makes it hard to claim that the Administration "misled" the public on the perceived al-Queda/Iraq connection, when such a large percentage doesn't know the difference anyways.

nbcrusader said:

Makes it hard to claim that the Administration "misled" the public on the perceived al-Queda/Iraq connection, when such a large percentage doesn't know the difference anyways.

or, was it simply that much easier to mislead an intentionally underinformed public?

and shouldn't we say "fabricated" connection?

Righto FYM. Pony up, eh.
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17221

I got 18/20, as I frankly have no interest in America's immigration rate, and I misunderstood the wording on the katrina question. Anyways. I dont have a brilliant education. But it's enough. I've always found American students seem to learn more varied topics than ours do here, so why a large portion failed this is beyond me.
:shrug:

Angela Harlem said:
I've always found American students seem to learn more varied topics than ours do here, so why a large portion failed this is beyond me.
:shrug:

Maybe it's some school's emphasis on "liberal arts" (colleges and universities I mean, in HS there's no excuse for not taking geography in some form). At my school, there's a required "core" curriculum that's a bit of everything. The problem is, people don't care about core courses so they don't try, don't pay attention, or just don't go. In my core History class we had to memorize geography. It wasn't taught in class, but on the exams there would be about 50 different things we'd have to mark and label on a blank map (cities, rivers, mountain ranges, regions, countries, etc). Most people would fail this part b/c no one bothered to learn the places. I did not have to take a core Geography course, I can't remember why.

I didn't take Geography, per se, in HS, but we had to take Western Civ, World Cultures, and two rounds of American History, all which had a LOT of memorizing maps.

I can't believe people from the US can't point out the states and capitols! We had to get 100% on that test in grade five, or we had to keep taking it until we passed.

This is a pretty worrisome issue to me. It makes Americans like pretty stupid. Yesterday in my HRM class, our guest speaker asked how many people know where Swaziland is and I was the only person to raise a hand. :der:

MrsSpringsteen said:
How did you do? :wink:

As I put it back then, it was "another stupid Africa question." :wink:

Anyway, for what it's worth, the guy who won ended up winning the whole damn thing that year.

Melon

melon said:
I was in the state geography bee when I was 10...lol.

Melon

i was when i was 12!

:up:

i got terribly confused over a "stupid Africa question" like you -- i think the correct answer was "Lake Victoria," but my memory is hazy.

Irvine511 said:

i got terribly confused over a "stupid Africa question" like you -- i think the correct answer was "Lake Victoria," but my memory is hazy.

i won a particularly intense trivial pursuit game once because i knew that lake victoria is the third largest lake in the world. :up:

geography :drool:

trivial pursuit :drool:

I don't think bad geographical knowledge is something peculiar to the US....a girl I knew thought Berlin was a country:uhoh: Couldn't tell me where Madrid amongst a few other ones:huh:

Back
Top Bottom