Geneva Accord = Peace????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
'Geneva Accord' aimed at rescuing Mideast peace
Last Updated Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:53:46
JERUSALEM - After two years of dialogue, senior Palestinian political figures have finalized a symbolic peace pact with left wing Israeli politicians.

INDEPTH: Middle East - Israel and the Palestinians

The move was initiated by Israeli opposition members to show peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians are possible.

But members of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's hard-line cabinet dismissed the talks and accused the participants of harming Israel's national interests.

The group consists of intellectuals and politicians from both sides. They have been holding secret talks for two years and say they have reached an agreement. Details are scarce. The two sides say the document will be published next month. But reports say the agreement contains significant concessions by both sides.

It is being called the 'Geneva Accord' and its authors say it will be signed in Switzerland in the next few weeks. It is the culmination of secret talks between Israeli and Palestinian peace activists and politicians, including Yosi Beilin, a former Israeli justice minister, and Yasser Abed Rabbo, a former Palestinian information minister. The Swiss Foreign Ministry mediated and financed the talks.

The deal has no official status, because those involved are not in power. But it is full of the kinds of compromises that have been so elusive in the past.

Under this proposed deal, Palestinians would give up the so-called 'right of return.' They would recognize Israel as 'the state of the Jewish people.' They would prevent terrorist attacks and disarm all militant groups.

Israel would return to its 1967 borders, withdrawing from most Palestinian lands, except for a few of the larger settlements.

Jerusalem would be divided, with Arab neighborhoods in east Jerusalem becoming part of a Palestinian state. A disputed holy site in old Jerusalem, known as the Temple Mount to Jews and as Haram-esh-Sharif to Muslims, would be under Palestinian sovereignty, but monitored by an international force. That international force would also monitor all border crossings.

Although some Palestinian insiders deny foregoing the right of return, the Palestinian Authority says it would accept such a deal.

"I am for any dialogue that leads to peace. In that sense, our view is different from Israel which views these people as traitors even though these are people who signed peace deals in the past," said Palestinian cabinet minister Nabil Shaath.

But news of the accord got a hostile reception from the Israeli government. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says those responsible are trying to bring down his government during "a time of war."

The 'Geneva Accord' will be released with great ceremony in Switzerland on Nov. 4.

Dreadsox said:
But members of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's hard-line cabinet dismissed the talks and accused the participants of harming Israel's national interests.

[...]

The deal has no official status, because those involved are not in power. But it is full of the kinds of compromises that have been so elusive in the past.

[...]

But news of the accord got a hostile reception from the Israeli government. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says those responsible are trying to bring down his government during "a time of war."

I fear these excerpts from the article say enough about the question in the thread title.

C ya!

Marty (who nevertheless hopes the ???? can be replaced with !!!)

This is good news. I hope the politicians come around and sign the thing. Israelis and Palestinians of all political persuasions are people and as such are probably very tired of war. My friend in Tel Aviv and I don't discuss politiics that much (we are members of a U2 list) but I think she is really tired of all of the war stuff. She has briefly mentioned peace rallies.

It won't happen. The right-wingers in both Israel and Palestine will never accept it. They don't want peace; they will only accept death of "the enemy."

Melon

You're probably right melon. I have to say that it irks me the way the people in power want "death to the enemy". How frustrating.:mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

"It won't happen. The right-wingers in both Israel and Palestine will never accept it. They don't want peace; they will only accept death of "the enemy.""

If this was the case, the Israely's would have killed all the Palestinians decades ago. Fact is, the Israely's have the capability to do that to the Palestinians and don't. The Palestinians do not have the capability to do that to the Israely's, but based on what we have seen, if they did, they would do it.

Israel has accepted several peace plans in the past. After 55 years, the Palestinians have yet to accept a single peace plan offered to them.

Back
Top Bottom