"Generation Debt": College Costs, Uncertain Job Market Threaten Young Futures - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quick question for LivLuv - you're in Michigan, right? How much cheaper would it have been for you to go to Ann Arbor in comparison to your school?

Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Quick question for LivLuv - you're in Michigan, right? How much cheaper would it have been for you to go to Ann Arbor in comparison to your school?
By Ann Arbor I'm assuming you mean U. of M.

I don't know their costs off-hand, but found this site:

http://www.finaid.umich.edu/financia...asics/cost.asp

Those still seem high for a "normal" state school, but still only half of our tuition cost.

I go to Calvin and our tuition right now is $18,925 with room and board at $6,585 (required the first two years). If you pay room and board, you also have to add on the additional $1500 for the meal plan. For books, I generally have to spend between $300-$500 a semester.

GVSU, which is very close by here is less than $4000 a semester before books and room & board. A lot of people at my college take summer courses there because it's so cheap and reasonably close. We can't get easy As to boost our GPA though because we usually only get credit transfered from other schools, not grades. GVSU used to be consider the smaller cheap school with easy classes (we didn't take it seriously), but they've really grown into a pretty decent school.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, it seems like a good deal given that Michigan is one of the best public schools, no?

The reason I asked is I always wondered why people would pass on a Michigan, or Virginia or Berkeley which are excellent state schools and pay 2-3x to go to a private school instead? I mean I understand if we're talking about a Yale or a Harvard, but a lot of people still choose to take on huge debt load for schools which are not necessarily top 10 or 25 or whatever. This may not apply to you since your school seems quite well ranked and respected but I wonder how much of it is kids just wanting to go out of state and live on their own without maybe considering what it would cost them to stay at a *better* in-state school?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Yeah, it seems like a good deal given that Michigan is one of the best public schools, no?

The reason I asked is I always wondered why people would pass on a Michigan, or Virginia or Berkeley which are excellent state schools and pay 2-3x to go to a private school instead? I mean I understand if we're talking about a Yale or a Harvard, but a lot of people still choose to take on huge debt load for schools which are not necessarily top 10 or 25 or whatever. This may not apply to you since your school seems quite well ranked and respected but I wonder how much of it is kids just wanting to go out of state and live on their own without maybe considering what it would cost them to stay at a *better* in-state school?
Speaking for myself, I originally wanted to go to meteorology school at the University of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, my parents discouraged this because it would cost a lot being a non-resident, plus travel costs would be very difficult since I've never had access to a car.

I didn't really know where else I wanted to go, so I chose Calvin because it is a very good school and most of my friends had already decided to go there. I'd passed the MEAP test which provided $2500 that could only be used for a college in Michigan. I thought since it was close to home and I already had jobs, I could try it and then maybe switch to something larger once I'd made some money. It never happened because I changed majors and ended up as business communications. I do the business mainly because it's practical, but I love communications and we have a great comm. department, very liberal with extremely intelligent, well-published and well-known faculty (and I love that the dept. chair is a woman). I love all of the comm. faculty and we have a brand new comm. building. Also, by the time I chose this major, I was also looking into the third world development minor and knew I wanted to go to Tanzania with Aba Mpesha. So basically, I stayed at Calvin because I didn't want to lose that opportunity, and at this point, I'm glad I made that choice. That, and my current job which pays ok and is relevant to my field (as opposed to waiting tables or working at the mall).

Speaking for many of my classmates, they go to Calvin because it's a Christian Reformed school, or because they are so sheltered they can't imagine life without mommy and daddy and can use the "Calvin is a top notch liberal arts school" as their excuse.

Like I said earlier, in general I am satisfied with my education, especially with the opportunities my school offers (many of which I haven't taken them up on). Unfortunately, the cost makes even the littlest things very stressful and I regret that this has inevitably made me quite bitter towards a lot of things and a lot of people.

ETA: One thing I should mention is that once I changed majors, I decided against going straight to grad school. I'm a good student, mostly straight As, but I don't really like school. I'm not the type of person that is defined by my academic degrees or my career, I prefer to work as a means to an end where I can live comfortably and do things that I REALLY enjoy. I hate to think of where I'd be financially and mentally with the thought of grad school looming over my head! I'm already worried enough about my fiance going back for a teaching degree and then a masters.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

With a few specific exceptions, I believe that it is a terrible idea for college kids to work during the school year. Manning a cash register or being a salesperson at Best Buy doesn't pay well and doesn't do anything to enhance one's career prospects. Plus, there's the obvious point that logging all those hours will hurt one's grades or delay one's graduation. Exceptions include working in a lab, grading papers, and running one's own business. (I remember a while back at my school that a number of students made a nifty profit buying textbooks at lower prices overseas and selling them on campus.)

Although it is sad that it is difficult for motivated kids to fund their education, there are some things they can do if money is really tight. Graduating in 3 or 3-1/2 years and/or taking loans from a bank are much better ideas than working during the school year, imho.

Some people don't have a choice but to work 1-2 jobs while in college, even with bank loans. Manning a cash register may not enhance one's career prospects but it does pay the rent.

I am so glad I graduated though paying back those loans are a bitch.