General Clark steals Deans thunder......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
.....slightly.

A new Fox News Poll has General Clark leading the Democratic pack by a small margin.

Clark 14%
Lieberman 12%
Dean 12%
Kerry 10%
Gepthart 8%

With 10 candidates, its a very tight field. It looks like Clark has taken a little from everyone. The question will be when certain candidates start to drop out of the race, who will their supporters turn to?

Re: Re: General Clark steals Deans thunder......

nbcrusader said:
Isn't this de facto unreliable in FYM

Well, it certainly is a bit questionable, if only because of Lieberman's high place in this. In most polls, he runs pretty low, which makes me ask how FOX News conducted this poll.

Melon

:lmao:

It's not so much news as entertainment, is it? I sometimes watch Fox news (yes, we're cursed with it over in the UK too) before I go to some political activity...it just reminds me who they enemy is. :wink: :D

Ooops, almost forgot to comment on the actual story there. I'm not entirely convinced of the poll's reliability given that other polls I've seen placed both Kerry and Dean above Lieberman and it seems to me unlikely that he's pulled support away from Kerry/Dean at the same time that Clark's won support from their backers.

Even so, assuming it is reliable, I've heard many people say they think Clark would be the most credible Democratic candidate, which would obviously be good as he would have the best chance of beating Bush. It would also be less good as I can't say I agree with a lot of his politics and I would agree more with someone like Howard Dean.

I guess it comes down to that lesser of two evils argument again. Hmm. :hmm: :shrug:

I know what you mean, Fizz. I'm a liberal, but I'd rather have a moderate in the White House than a dyed-in-the-wool conservative like we do now. It's a matter of philosophy, and not really a personal deal for me. Besides which, Dean is not as liberal as Kucinich is. A friend of mine is supporting Kucinich and he *hates* Dean. If Clark wins the nomination, I'll be glad to vote for him. But I really don't give a damn about polls now. They are really premature, and Fox doesn't have much credibility anyway.

A Time/CNN Poll from last week of registered Democratic voters across the country showed Kerry and Lieberman ahead of Dean. Where Dean has blown out the others are in the "early primary State" Polls. In national polls, Kerry and Lieberman do better.

As far as Fox's credibility, other polls should be coming out soon. Will see how close they are to the one Fox had which again was of national registered Democratic voters instead of just particular states.

STING2 said:
As far as Fox's credibility, other polls should be coming out soon.

NEWSWEEK POLL

CLARK WON SUPPORT from 14 percent registered Democrats and democratic leaners, outpacing former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean (12 percent), Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman (12 percent), Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry (10 percent) and Missouri Congressman Dick Gephardt (8 percent).

Meanwhile, as Americans focus on the fiscal realities of creating a stable Iraq, President George W. Bush?s approval ratings continue to slide, the poll shows. The president?s approval rating now stands at 51 percent, down 1 point from last week?s poll and from 65 percent on May 1, when major hostilities in Iraq ended.

For the first time in a year, Bush?s approval for his handling of the situation in Iraq has dropped below 50 percent to 46 percent, a 5-point drop from last week. Fifty-six percent of Americans say they think the amount of money being spent in Iraq is too high. And 57 percent of Americans now disapprove of how Bush is handling the economy, an increase of 6 points from only one week ago.

The NEWSWEEK poll was conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates, which interviewed 1,001 adults by telephone on September 18 and 19. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

I think the the poll I saw on FOX may have been FOX simply reporting the Newsweek poll.

Well, assuming that this poll falls in line with other polls, it certainly shows that more people are familiar with Clark than just FYM! :sexywink:

Melon

Clark needs to have been a *candidate* for awhile for his numbers to make sense. Right now it's novelty. Don't misunderstand me, I like him, but these numbers don't mean that much to me. Media politics, which is really what politics is these days, is a tough, unforgiving game.

For those who put weight behind op-ed pieces, here is one that suggests the Clintons are pulling the strings with Clark.

From the NY Times

The Clintons decided that the Democratic primary campaign was getting out of hand. Howard Dean was getting all the buzz and too much of the passionate left's money. Word was out that Dean as nominee, owing Clintonites nothing, would quickly dump Terry McAuliffe, through whom Bill and Hillary maintain control of the Democratic National Committee.

That's when word was leaked of the former president's observation at an intimate dinner party at the Clinton Chappaqua, N.Y., estate that "there are two stars in the Democratic Party ? Hillary and Wes Clark."

Meanwhile, the four-star general that Clinton fired for being a publicity hog during the Kosovo liberation has been surrounded by the Clinton-Gore mafia. Lead agent is Mark Fabiani, the impeachment spinmeister; he brought in the rest of the Restoration coterie. When reporters start poking into any defense contracts Clark arranged for clients after his retirement, he will have the lip-zipping services of the Clinton confidant Bruce Lindsey.

As expected, fickle media that had been entranced with Dean (Dr. Lose-the-War) dropped the cranky Vermonter like a cold couch potato and are lionizing Clinton's fellow Arkansan and fellow Rhodes Scholar. He's new, handsome, intellectual, a genuine Silver Star Vietnam hero and taught economics at West Point.

I admired Nato Commander Clark's military aggressiveness when the Serbs were slaughtering civilians in Kosovo. He wanted to use Apache helicopter gunships and send in NATO troops, as John McCain urged, but Clinton sided with Pentagon brass fearful of U.S. casualties, and the lengthy air campaign was conducted from 15,000 feet up; thousands of Kosovars died. (Four years later, U.N.-administered Kosovo is still not sovereign, and Clinton was there last week saying "I think we belong here until our job is finished.")

As a boot-in-mouth politician, however, Clark ranks with Arnold Schwarzenegger. He began by claiming to have been pressured to stop his defeatist wartime CNN commentary by someone "around the White House"; challenged, he morphed that source into a Canadian Middle East think tank, equally fuzzy.

Worse, as his Clinton handlers cringed, he blew his antiwar appeal by telling reporters "I probably would have voted for" the Congressional resolution authorizing Bush to invade Iraq. Next day, the chastised candidate flip-flopped, claiming "I would never have voted for war."

Clark's strange explanation: "I've said it both ways, because when you get into this, what happens is you have to put yourself in a position." He put himself in the hot-pretzel position ? softly twisted.

Let's assume the Clinton handlers teach him the rudiments of verbal discipline and the Clinton fund-raising machine makes him a viable candidate. To what end? What's in it for the Clintons?

Control. First, control of the Democratic Party machinery, threatened by the sudden emergence of Dean and his antiestablishment troops. Second, control of the Democratic ideological position, making sure it remains on the respectable left of center.

What if, as Christmas nears, the economy should tank and President Bush becomes far more vulnerable? Hillary would have to announce willingness to accept a draft. Otherwise, should the maverick Dean take the nomination and win, Clinton dreams of a Restoration die.

Here is where the politically inexperienced Clark comes in. He is the Clintons' most attractive stalking horse, useful in stopping Dean and diluting support for Kerry, Lieberman or Gephardt. If Bush stumbles and the Democratic nomination becomes highly valuable, the Clintons probably think they would be able to get Clark to step aside without splintering the party, rewarding his loyalty with second place on the ticket.

G'wan, you say, the Clintons should be supporting Dean, a likely loser to Bush, thereby ensuring the Clinton Restoration in 2008. But plainly they are not. Their candidate is Clark. Either they are for him because (altruistic version) they think Clark would best lead the party and country for the next eight years, leaving them applauding on the sidelines, or (Machiavellian version) they think his muddy-the-waters candidacy is their ticket back to the White House in 2004 or 2008.

Which is more like the Clintons?

I think the whole Clinton/Clark connection is complete rubbish. Republicans are saying that the Clinton's want Clark in the race to add yet another candidate and weaken the Democratic front runners. This makes no sense because right now they are just running in a primary. Once they choose a democratic candidate, then it doesn't matter how many people ran for the primary.

Also, If Hillary is running next time, then logically they would want Dean to run and lose and have Bush be out in '08 for an easy step in for Hillary. Hillary is much more likely to get in following up 2 terms from a Republican than following a term by a Democrat.

It's hilarious to me that the Clinton's can't back a presidential candidate without Republican's screaming conspiracy!!!!!

nbcrusader said:
Who's screaming conspiracy?

I did find the flip flop on the Iraq war interesting.

Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter are. And whoever wrote this NY Times article. I've been hearing it a lot. Things would be suspicious if they were backing Braun or Sharpton or even Kusinich. But Clark pretty much fits into the moderate Democratic mold like Clinton was, so it makes sense to me that they are backing him.

People seem to forget that the Draft Clark movement started with a Republican and a Democrat over 8 months ago. He wasn't some guy that Clinton just ran into last week and pushed him into running.

I saw Ann Coulter once on TV.

She struck me as hysterical. Not funny hysterical, but hysterical hysterical.

I looked at a book of Ann Coulter's at work last week. I agree, she's hysterical, and I don't mean funny-hysterical, I mean hysteria-hysterical. Egads.

Not only is Clark the front runner in the Democratic party now, but he also does best in a 1 on 1 match up with Bush.

According to Newsweek, if the election were held today, Bush would defeat Clark with 47% of the vote while Clark would get 43% of the vote. All the other Democratic candidates run an average of 15 percentage points behind Bush in head to head match ups.

Based on these Polls, Clark might be the Democrats only shot at the White House. The Question is, how well will Clark perform in the Democratic primaries. Clark might have a good shot at beating Bush, but if he can't win the Democratic nomination, it won't matter.

STING2 said:
Not only is Clark the front runner in the Democratic party now, but he also does best in a 1 on 1 match up with Bush.

According to Newsweek, if the election were held today, Bush would defeat Clark with 47% of the vote while Clark would get 43% of the vote. All the other Democratic candidates run an average of 15 percentage points behind Bush in head to head match ups.

Based on these Polls, Clark might be the Democrats only shot at the White House. The Question is, how well will Clark perform in the Democratic primaries. Clark might have a good shot at beating Bush, but if he can't win the Democratic nomination, it won't matter.

This is also his honeymoon period. Numbers may change as he starts to reveal specifics and more clearly defines his position.

nbcrusader said:

This is also his honeymoon period. Numbers may change as he starts to reveal specifics and more clearly defines his position.

I agree. Once he's been a *candidate* for awhile the numbers will be more reliable, I think.

nbcrusader said:

Sorry, I tend to identify with the Republican party, but I've never read or listened to Hannity or Coulter. Am I missing something?

Oh yes, you are missing some of the most uneducated, blindly patriotic, far right wing blather you can handle.

I'll give you a couple of examples. If a guest came on Hannity's show before the war and said, I think we should get more support from other countries before taking military action, his most likely response would be - "You hate this country don't you? You hate it and you hate everything about it and you want us to be attacked liked 9/11 all over again don't you?" There has never been a Republican decision I can remember him disagreeing with or even questioning.

Ann Coulter has written a couple of frightening books. One called "Treason" and the other I can't remember, but similar. Her book pretty much says that anyone who disagrees with the Bush administration about anything is committing treason and that all liberals hate God and the United States.

You really should give them a try. They can simultaneously make my blood boil and make me feel sorry for them because of their ignorance all at the same time.

Oh yeah, they both are staples on Fox News Channel, and they have radio programs as well.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

Let's not forget that he(Clark) almost touched off WWIII during Kosovo by ordering an attacfk on Russian troops. This was reported by the BBC a long time ago if I am not mistaken.

And, Clark is supposed to hurt Kerry and Lieberman, not Dean so much. And, yes, I posted this here before the article posted earlier in the thread. I want legal representation to sue the publisher of the article. They stole my theory.

Back
Top Bottom