Gender (if any) of God - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2002, 09:16 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:55 AM

Doesn't the Orthodox Church also apply feminine characteristics to the Holy Spirit? I know that they symbolize the Holy Spirit with the descending white dove (as do we Methodists). That seems valid to me.

I do tend to apply masculine pronouns to the "Father" component of the Trinity, for obvious reasons; Jesus often referred to Him as "my Father," and even liberal Bono does this as well.

As far as the role of wome in the church, it seems that some denominations place too much emphasis on social laws that were in place prior to Jesus's ministry, and He equalized humanity. Also, as much emphasis as His teachings place on "witnessing" Him to other people, remember this: the first WITNESSES of the Resurrection were three women. What if they had not spread the word of what they had witnessed?

~U2Alabama

Old 07-12-2002, 11:58 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflag
So what would you think about this? Is it wrong to use gender concepts to understand God and his aspects better? And if you are a believer, do you think God gets mad at us if we have wrong or inaccurate thoughts about Him? Do you think you will be punished by Him if you do?
As Bama pointed out, Jesus himself used gender-specific terminology. If Jesus is who He says He is, the act canot be wrong.

As per whether God will punish His own for misunderstandings, I simply don't know.

But I can't imagine a God who would punish a simpleton (and I mean the term in a literal sense, no offense implied) for believing that He literally sits in a golden throne among the fluffy clouds - as long as that believer has a genuine relationship with Him and tries to know and do His will.

But nor do I believe God would let a man go unpunished if he bends the Word to his will - if he tries to parse God's message to find loopholes (typically non-existent loopholes, based on contextual misunderstandings), and to use those loopholes to disobey God.

Old 07-13-2002, 01:56 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflag
That is a really interesting way of looking at it, Falling Star. I'm not sure what a Christian theologian would think of it since technically the Son cannot be the creation of the other two, but what do they know anyway. Heh heh.
Well, Jesus can't be really begotten by God and the Spirit, but they can be related in a way only a kid can be to his parents. I don't know.........
Old 07-15-2002, 07:31 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 AM
I like the idea that God could be 2 entities- like man & woman together

But I still have this picture in my head of a big jolly white haired bloke sitting in heaven
Old 07-15-2002, 10:39 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Men and women all have an anima (feminine aspect) and animus (masculine aspect). In women, the animus is latent; in men the anima is latent. But the properties exist nonetheless.

As others have stated, if we were created in Godís image, then God also has both masculine and feminine aspects.

I view God as a genderless, formless, spiritual being (really, more like a vibration) manifesting both feminine and masculine aspects in perfect harmony--sort of like electricity is composed of positive and negative charges (sorry if that's a coarse analogy--but just about any analogy seems coarse when you're talking about God).

Cool, joyfulgirl. I do feel like you. I felt the vibration, the energy, the waves, that is my vision of the Holy Spirit as well. God is One. We are all one, everything is one and now - - (...but the human race was intelligent enough to forget that).
Old 07-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Working backwards, the father is God the Father. The brother is Jesus Christ, God the Son; if He is the Son of God and we are adopted as sons and daughters of God, He is then our adoptive brother.

Thus, the lover is the Holy Spirit.

And there have truly been times where She's taught me how to sing.
I really, really like that.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 09:55 AM
One other thing I forgot to add the last time.

In the Old Testament, Wisdom is also ALWAYS refered to as a 'she'.

So we have the Holy Spirit, Grace and Wisdom portrayed as female either in Christian tradition or in the Bible.

That's a pretty heavy trio, if you ask me.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:10 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

If I'm not mistaken it was St. Augustine who didn't believe God really had a gender at all. He thought the reference to God as male was a metaphor.
Of course keep it in mind (*if* I'm not getting my theologians mixed up) that the guy was a rhetoric teacher.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:04 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I visually think of God in a female form, just to have a picture in my head. But I really don't believe God has a gender.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
I like the idea that God could be 2 entities- like man & woman together

But I still have this picture in my head of a big jolly white haired bloke sitting in heaven
I agree Lara. I know that nobody really knows God's gender, but I still picture him as a white bearded guy. Although, I must say, I never really gave God's gender that much thought until I saw a poster one day that said, "God is black and she loves you."
Old 07-17-2002, 07:56 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Like I said earlier in Diamond's thread, I don't believe God has a gender. I think that the only reason God is portrayed as male and that Jesus was male is because we live in a male dominated society where females are not usually seen as authority figures. Although I'm no expert on Biblical times, it seems likely to me that a man would've have been listened to much more than a woman back then (and today).
Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #27
Refugee

Is it not possible that Jesus was portrayed as a male becuase Jesus of Nazareth - a human being who lived two thousand years ago - was ACTUALLY male?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:31 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Is it not possible that Jesus was portrayed as a male becuase Jesus of Nazareth - a human being who lived two thousand years ago - was ACTUALLY male?

Yes. But that need not mean that God is male, even if you are a Christian and accept the traditional teaching, as I do, that Jesus was God made flesh. I've just found this stuff in a history book about St. Augustine's position on God's gender. He didn't believe that God had a gender. If Jesus was to become a human being, he had to be either male or female. But that's the human nature in Christ; there's also the divine nature. Did that have a gender? I don't want to hash this thing out quite the way the Church councils did. But I think the old rhetoric teacher from Hippo was onto something there. Gender is limiting. Does one want to limit or confine God in any way? That's the $64,000 Question. You could write books and books on that.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:57 PM   #29
Refugee

I see. I think I've covered my beliefs thoroughly in this thread, and I see no problem in saying that God has no gender.