Gays vs. God, or, battles fought on the chests of America's high schoolers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Gay And God T-Shirts Clash At Area High School
Gay Tolerance Group, Christian Group Wear Opposing T-Shirts

POSTED: 1:02 pm CDT April 19, 2005
UPDATED: 2:16 pm CDT April 19, 2005

CHICAGO -- Several students at a suburban high school wore contrasting T-shirts Tuesday in support of and against gay tolerance, but some students and school officials had differing views on whether it created a problem.

A group of students organized a campaign that sold more than 200 T-shirts at Homewood-Flossmoor High School that say, "Gay? Fine By Me." The shirts were designed to promote tolerance and acceptance and safety at the school and the idea was for the students to wear the shirts on Tuesday.

But a group of Christian students also made their own T-shirts with the help of several churches in the community. The T-shirt reads on the front, "Crimes Committed Against God," and on the back referenced the Ten Commandments.

NBC 5's Kim Vatis reported that both groups of students wore their T-shirts to class Tuesday, including some students who wore homemade shirts that read "It's Not OK To Be Gay."

School spokesman David Thieman said the T-shirts did not create any problems.

"The day is off to a normal school. We're not expecting to have any major issues or disruptions. H.F. High School is a three-time blue ribbon award-winning school and we've been recognized nationally because we are diverse," Thieman said.

There were no visible signs of conflict outside the school, Vatis reported, and security officers were posted on the campus. Students who tried to speak with the media were guided away, Vatis reported.

Vatis spoke with two staff members of the student newspaper, Voyager, who gave a much different account of the scene inside the school.

"There was pretty much chaos in my first class -- students wearing the God T-shirts and students wearing the 'Gay Fine By Me' T-shirts," student Joe Maloney said. "Students (were) arguing with each other about the justification for wearing the T-shirts."

"People who had gotten along in the past, and seeing each other in these different shirts saying, 'What's wrong with me? Do you have a problem with me?" student Sara McKee said.

But school officials maintained that any disruptions would not be tolerated.

"Should there be a disruption we will immediately take the appropriate action to remedy it, but so far, normal school day, business as usual," Thieman said.

Members of the Christian group said their campaign wasn't in opposition to the other campaign, but was instead a promotion of their own beliefs.

one thing for sure

the kids with the 10 commandments T-shirts

will commit actions that fall under "Crimes Committed Against God"

do you know anyone who has lived the "letter of the law" on the 10 commandments

read them again

if people got arrested for breaking them

what a joke

"Crimes Committed Against God," and on the back referenced the Ten Commandments.

That's truly the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Most kids will have broken at least 8 of those commandments by the time they graduate and not one of them has anything to do with being homosexual.:huh:

At my high school(which is an all-girls catholic one), we recently had a day of silence. Anyone who wanted to could wear a rainbow ribbon and be silent for the day, as if to show how gays are often silenced. There didn't seem to be any issues.

nathan1977 said:
ah.

i had assumed deep was inferring that these kids would grow up to be violent gay-bashers or something.

They are capable of much more destruction by going to their churches and praying
and calling gays sodomites and saying they love the sinner and hate the sin

for you see those actions are accepted and tolerated by too many

it would be better if they were bashers
then their actions would be visible and irrefutable

U2democrat said:
that's like something that would happen at my school. :|

and that's exactly what I was about to say.

if there's one group of people at my school who I cannot stand, it's the "christian" christians. the ones that profess to be so full of God, and smile and tell you they'll pray for you, but in reality they're hateful towards anyone who's not like them and all-around love excluding people and pretending they're superior. that's what it is, the superiority complex, and it drives me insane.

I have no problem with christians whatsoever, my very best friend who I love more than anything is really involved in her youth group/church. (although she's a member of Church/USA-something or other that's really liberal and welcomes gay people, alcoholics, everyone) but i've got friends who are more conservative christians, muslim friends, hindu friends, atheist friends. I respect all of their beliefs. but *none* of them have that air of superiority, like they've got a ticket to heaven, and they'll pray for you so your poor soul might make it too. like they've got a phone line directly to God and he rings them up and tells them what's right and what's not.

actually I have one *former-friend* who's like that, in that group, but I politely choose to hang around other people. not that it matters, she decided to completely ignore me after I was her friend for 7 years, because I'm Jewish (raised anyway). no shit:|

Anyway, that's my experience w/ these kinds of kids...

deep said:
one thing for sure

the kids with the 10 commandments T-shirts

will commit actions that fall under "Crimes Committed Against God"

No. The one thing for sure is that all the kids (and us) will commit actions that fall under "Crimes Committed Against God"

I hope constructive dialogue will result from this instead of a battle of the "catch phrase T-shirts"

nbcrusader said:

No. The one thing for sure is that all the kids (and us) will commit actions that fall under "Crimes Committed Against God"

I hope constructive dialogue will result from this instead of a battle of the "catch phrase T-shirts"

The 10 commandment kids are separating themselves out by suggesting some people are committing crimes against God.
Do you believe these kids think they commit crimes against God?

I did not bother with the "Gay? Fine By Me."
Their statement was one of inclusiveness or tolerance.

First of all, these types of issues (either side) should be handled differently in a high school setting. The schools in my area don't even allow T-shirts with writing that may offend others. This would include political, cultural, or religious views. I agree with this because it does keep the peace and I think that is important considering the violence which is so present in todays youth.
It is important to teach tolerence in school with a way that brings understanding, not by wearing t-shirts.
On the other hand, I find it disturbing that an increasing amount of people are so intolerent of others. It seems hate and division toward those who have alternative lifestyles has increased since Bush has been in office. I hope the next President will bring people together instead of forcing them apart with religious agendas and backwards thinking.

Last edited:
I agree with nb's point. Those 10 commandment shirts are dumb. He's right, we all commit crimes against God (i.e. sin) and we all break the commandments from time to time in doing this. (i.e. adultery = lust in your heart).

As a Bible believing Christian, I think we should have shirts that say "Homosexuals: God loves 'em too."

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That's truly the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Most kids will have broken at least 8 of those commandments by the time they graduate and not one of them has anything to do with being homosexual.:huh:

:up:. Ditto every word of this post. Also, apparently they've forgotten that judging whether or not being gay is okay is something that, according to their religion that they follow, should be left up to God, and not them.

All that being said, as long as nobody starts getting violent with each other, if each side wants to continue to wear their shirts, whatever. Like nbcrusader said, we'd just have to hope that constructive dialogue would come from this.

Angela

I think that public schools should start enacting school uniforms.

Melon

deep said:
The 10 commandment kids are separating themselves out by suggesting some people are committing crimes against God.
Do you believe these kids think they commit crimes against God?

Why make that assumption?

I've never been in a situation where the Ten Commandments are taught as "God's Laws that other people break".

nathan1977 said:
I'm not sure how sarcastic or not this comment is meant to be, but I'm inclined to agree here....

I was being completely serious. Public schools should not be political forums for any liberal or conservative cause, but institutions of learning. There seems to be a deficiency of "learning" in public schools these days.

Melon

Is there anyone here who thinks that plenty of Christians might choose to wear the shirt that says "gay fine by me" ?

Because you know, there are plenty of us

Sorry, it just feels a little hurtful to think that all Christians are judged by something like this

melon said:

I was being completely serious. Public schools should not be political forums for any liberal or conservative cause, but institutions of learning. There seems to be a deficiency of "learning" in public schools these days.

Melon

i wore a uniform till i graduated from high school and i didnt like it. or maybe i did. hell, i dont even know anymore. it definitely gets boring though.

nbcrusader said:

Why make that assumption?

I've never been in a situation where the Ten Commandments are taught as "God's Laws that other people break".

Do you honestly think the kids wearing those shirts think they are as much the sinners as those "other" kids? Really? In high school? Remember how much you and every other student knew you knew when you were in high school... I'm pretty sure you now realize you didn't know nearly as much as you were absolutely sure you knew when you were a kid. At least I hope you do, because if people know it all (as they tend to think they do) when they are in high school...well...we're doomed.

I really do think they are wearing the shirts to show how much better they think they are.

Personally I think wearing tshirts with any slogan on them is kind of foolish, so I don't (unless I'm at home and the tshirt was free ;) ).

nbcrusader said:

based upon your posts

and your history i believe what you write is true for yourself.

my experience growing up as a regular church attendee leads my thinking to be more in line with what indra posted

i just thought the thing was amazingly stupid. what a waste of energy.

and i loved the school's comments on the issue -- someone was certainly paying attention when they taught "cover your ass" in high school administration class.

in all honesty, these things get blown out of proportion, and i would imagine 75% of the school couldn't give much of a shit either way -- spring is a tense time, with SATs and college acceptances to worry about.

and, like abortion and other "moral" issues, making an issue out of something that isn't going anywhere -- homosexuality -- is a weapon of mass distraction ... in high school, from learning; in the halls of Congress, from the real, hard, actual work that our country needs to get done.

melon said:

Melon

I agree completely.

indra said:

Do you honestly think the kids wearing those shirts think they are as much the sinners as those "other" kids? Really? In high school? Remember how much you and every other student knew you knew when you were in high school... I'm pretty sure you now realize you didn't know nearly as much as you were absolutely sure you knew when you were a kid. At least I hope you do, because if people know it all (as they tend to think they do) when they are in high school...well...we're doomed.

I think we're giving them too much credit. I bet most of the kids on EITHER side don't genuinely give a flying poo about their respective cause, they just want to be part of a group, ANY group, and get a rise out of some classmates. If I were the administration, I'd tell them to hand over the fucking T-shirts and grow up. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom