Gay Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Klodomir:
Originally posted by TheU2:
I'm only commenting on why there is a greater percentage of gay men who have that "feminine 'cutesy' voice" when compared to heterosexual men.CK
Whoa there, sonny! I completely disagree here. I do not believe that the majority of gay men have that voice. Maybe that's just the ones you notice?

I didn't say that the majority of gay men have that "voice". If you reread my statement, you will notice that I said there is a greater percentage of gay men who have that voice compared to the heterosexual population. To illustrate:

100 gay men
100 straight men

10 gay men or 10% have that "voice". 2 straight men or 2% have that "voice". That is what I mean when I say there is a greater % of gay men who have that voice compared to straight men.

Why is the % of people who have that "voice" greater for gay men?

I'm hoping your're taking this analysis with a grain of salt. Its obvious I made up the numbers, however, I think I would have some agreement that the % of gay men with that "voice" is higher than the % of straight men.

CK

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i apologize. i didn't realize this is whole discussion was based on one individual who is gay by way of his voice according to you. i assumed your question was rhetorical and we were referring to the gay community.

Are you being sarcastic? In the openeing statement:
You ever hear a guy who sounds completely gay? Its that tone, that annunciation (sp) that just tells you that he's gay.

I was trying to present an illustrative example that I feel many people have experienced in their life. I was not generalizing that the whole gay population has this voice. I was referring to the guy in the example.

The discussion is referring to the whole gay community, however, when I say that there is a greater % of gay men with that "voice".

CK

I pressed the wrong button...was trying to edit a message, but instead replyed and inadvertanly pressed return before it was complete.

Carry On...

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-11-2002).]

confused.gif

DROP IT RIGHT NOW, CK!!!

You had better just back off of sicy and leave her alone! She is just trying to do her job as a mod and I think she was being very fair. You don't need to keep challenging her, you are just making yourself look bad. I used to think you were cool but not when you are treating my friend this way. You're being a punk! You're just trying to start trouble.

AND whatever sicy said to you in private should be kept private. You have no business talking about it in a public forum.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by Calluna:

DROP IT RIGHT NOW, CK!!!

You had better just back off of sicy and leave her alone! She is just trying to do her job as a mod and I think she was being very fair. You don't need to keep challenging her, you are just making yourself look bad. I used to think you were cool but not when you are treating my friend this way. You're being a punk! You're just trying to start trouble.

AND whatever sicy said to you in private should be kept private. You have no business talking about it in a public forum.

Well said, girl.

It is my opinion that the lisp sounding voice that many gay men possess is due to their surroundings. However, many gay men tend to be overtly feminine. We all know that generally speaking, females have higher speaking tones compared to men. That goes for their singing ranges as well. That's a fact. Nothing wrong with it either way. I compare the gay lisp to other minorities in society and their speaking patterns. Take urban street gangs for example. Surely not all black-teenagers living in the projects speak in "ebonics", but living around people in that culture will certainly have an impact on ANYONE that faces it everyday. I think gays are the same way.

Originally posted by Calluna:

DROP IT RIGHT NOW, CK!!!

Not trying to start trouble

....you're right, I was wrong..private messages should remain private. I thought I could get away with it by not saying what the message was. I erred by even mentioning it. I've edited out that post. My post above was my first attempt at trying to edit it out. I pressed the wrong button.

I don't mean to challenge. Just thought that her saying I had no tact and there is no hope if I don't agree with her was a bit strong, even a challenge on her part, perhaps.

I'm not trying to start trouble....I'm all for letting this side arguement end.

CK

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
For once, I agree with TheU2. I don't quite see why it's offensive, either.

Well, for instance, I could ask why many born again Christians seem to act like they've been indoctrinated in a cult. Not all, but many.

I think it has to do with such thing as source and connotation. TheU2 doesn't exactly have the cleanest reputation on this board, so a lot of people assume he's making fun. Hence the reaction.

If I ask the question above on born-again Christians, for instance, it would be assumed that I'm speaking negatively of them, due to my past history, even though it may be a perfectly legitimate question. Hence, if a newbie wrote this thread on a "Gay Voice" or if a newbie wrote that above question on born-again Christians, it would probably be received in a different, not-so negative light.

Am I making any sense here?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Only for the reason that TheU2, you have no tact.

Where did I show no tact?

You really need to work on how you present a question and maybe stop to think that it might indeed offend some people.

If everyone didn't post something because they thought it might offend some people, there would be no discussions/threads on this board.

It's all how you say things, not always what exactly is said.

Point me where its how I said something that was offensive?

But since so far it seems the debate is under control, carry on.

Thanks

Just think about what I said for next time please.

Thinking about it once was enough.

CK

Originally posted by speedracer:
I'll bite. Why is this topic so offensive and inappropriate?

As an honest discussion, it may not have too much scholarly merit, but it seems like a fair question to ask.

And as satire, it's no worse than saying that white boys can't jump, white boys got no rhythm, white boys can't handle spicy food, white boys wear ugly golf clothes, etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-10-2002).]

The start of this thread and my subsequent responses have no satire or sarcasm in them. And I disagree with you regarding the lack of scholarly merit.

CK

I'm hoping your're taking this analysis with a grain of salt. Its obvious I made up the numbers, however, I think I would have some agreement that the % of gay men with that "voice" is higher than the % of straight men.

CK

CK, i must admit you are cracking me up with this thread. i'm sitting in my bosses office reading this and the above sentence is just so bloody ridiculous. nothing in particular that you have said is that funny, just the fact that this is taking place.

Are you being sarcastic?

i guess so. i'm not even sure i know what the hell we're talking about any more...
you're original example referred to one man as nothing more than an example?
however the general flow of discussion, beginning with my assumption and you're own subsequent examples have referred to the gay community as a whole?
i'm i correct in saying that?
------------------
i was born for your magazine
i am trapped in the society page of your magazine

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-11-2002).]

CK, i must admit you are cracking me up with this thread. i'm sitting in my bosses office reading this and the above sentence is just so bloody ridiculous. nothing in particular that you have said is that funny, just the fact that this is taking place.

What's so funny?

CK

I am not open to discussing this with you CK.

I stand by my original statement and if you dont understand it well there is no hope for you.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

What's so funny?

CK

i just perceive it to be such a baseless and stupid observation that you have made that i have to laugh. it's ridiculous.
you seek to come to conclusions about things that are wholly based on something that we have all concluded is a stereotype-well any conclusion reached will be colored by that stereotype and thus, meaningless.

i'm gonna hang around to see if sicy does in fact nail your ass though
smile.gif

------------------
i was born for your magazine
i am trapped in the society page of your magazine

i guess so. i'm not even sure i know what the hell we're talking about any more...
you're original example referred to one man as nothing more than an example?
however the general flow of discussion, beginning with my assumption and you're own subsequent examples have referred to the gay community as a whole?
i'm i correct in saying that?

The original example was put out there merely to get people to agree that there exists "gay" voice. I'm sure you have met a person and not knowing their sexual preference concluded that they might be gay. After that example was established, I proposed a question, "Is that "voice" learned or is itinstincual or a product of their chemical makeup?"

I admit that the discussion did go onto other tangents, such as do gay men act, dress, talk in a certain way to let people know that they are gay. I cannot define the "gay" act (other than the obvious) or the "gay" wardrobe. The strongest identifier, other than being out right informed that a person is gay, is if they have the "gay" voice. Of course this only leads you to mildly suspect one is gay since there are gay men who don't have this "voice" and there are straight men who do. If you look at my previous posts, I made a semi-arguement that this "voice" has evolved so that gay men can identify one another. I'm not really sure if I totally buy any of this. I just wanted others opinions on the matter.

I refer to the whole population when I argue that there exists a higher % of gay men who have this "voice" than are straight men who have this "voice".

CK

CK

You're pissing me off. All I said was that I was also curious to the answer to your question as well BUT you know I TOLD you the thread is offensive. AND I would not post about it but rather ask someone in private. Also, you should not be discussing what we talk about in private on the forum.

Dont be a fucking ass.

You're possible banishment is indeed getting stronger.

Take me off your AIM list.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom