Gay Jesus Play Offensive - Who Knew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
gayjesus_narrowweb__300x434,0.jpg

A PLAY that depicts Jesus as a gay man who is seduced by Judas and conducts a gay marriage for two apostles has been condemned by religious leaders as it prepares to open in Sydney.

The Anglican Bishop of South Sydney, Robert Forsyth, questioned the integrity of Corpus Christi and expressed his outrage at the "unhistorical and untrue" depiction of the son of God and some of his disciples as homosexual.

"It is deliberately, not innocently, offensive and they're obviously having a laugh about it," he said.

"It's historical nonsense and I wouldn't want to go and see it. Life's too short."

Australian Family Association spokeswoman Angela Conway said the play's creators had committed "a big enough crime" by neglecting to treat Christianity and Christian believers with more sensitivity.

"The ideas are offensive and really border on blasphemous. It's just completely fanciful and self-obsessive," she said.

The play's director, Leigh Rowney, is unrepentant. "I would be surprised if people bothered to protest outside the New Theatre … but if they did, bring it on," Rowney said.

The play, which will open at the New Theatre in Newtown on February 7 as part of the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras, provoked protests and bomb threats in the US. Death threats were sent to playwright Terrence McNally, who draws parallels between the rejection he faced as a young gay man growing up in Texas and Christ's persecution.

Rowney, a Christian, denied the play mocked Christ but said it would upset some Christians.

"I think it humanises Him in a way Christians might find difficult because we like to believe God and the son of God are ultimately divine and above all of us.

"I wanted this play in the hands of a Christian person like myself to give it dignity but still open it up to answering questions about Christianity as a faith system."
link

If it pisses off the Australian Family Association it's alright.

i bet Jesus got boners.

the jesus above is hot, but not nearly as beautiful as the Jesus in "The Passion."

tn2_jim_caviezel_2.jpg

now that's some hot man for ya. who wouldn't want to see him stripped naked and flayed by burly men in gimp masks?

The play originates from Newtown, hardly the home of convention or tradition. I doubt the play is intending to go further than the latte set who will sit around in coffee shops or authentic international eating establishments afterwards discussing the "grand boldness" and "courage" of the playwright/s.
:rolleyes:

Angela Harlem said:
The play originates from Newtown, hardly the home of convention or tradition. I doubt the play is intending to go further than the latte set who will sit around in coffee shops or authentic international eating establishments afterwards discussing the "grand boldness" and "courage" of the playwright/s.
:rolleyes:

oh come on -- if you ever actually met my friends i'm sure you'd like them.

:grumpy:

I'm sorry, but why would someone want to create a gay Jesus play?

Why would they want to make him straight?

Asexual Jesus with great abs is the best one, well except for supply side Jesus...

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
he was 33, single, hung out with a bunch of guys all day ...

And he was able to supply alcohol to an entire wedding.

I see a College Jesus play coming! :happy:

He was probably a chauvinist, like just about every man was before 1950. They should make a play about 'Christ the Chauvinist' which details his chauvinistic tendancies.....

Don't know if he was a homosexual though...though he might've been.

" ...provoked protests and bomb threats in the US. Death threats were sent to playwright Terrence McNally... "

Christian values on show?

intedomine said:
He was probably a chauvinist, like just about every man was before 1950. They should make a play about 'Christ the Chauvinist' which details his chauvinistic tendancies.....

Hey! Mary Magdalene! Get in that kitchen and make me a sammich!

intedomine said:

Well, there's been some theories that the "historical Jesus" was a kind of Jewish warlord (in a line of "Messianic warlords" that appeared during the decades-long Jewish revolt), and that Jesus was crucified, due to treason against the Roman state--i.e., Pontius Pilate would have ordered his execution for this kind of offense, not blasphemy. The kinder, gentler Jesus, in this theory, was a fabrication of Paul and the pro-Roman Gentile community.

That would be an interesting and controversial play, as well.

Back
Top Bottom