Gay Coercion? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Is that what it comes down to, that the gay people are acceptable only if they celebrate their pride in a way that is acceptable to straight men-firefighters or otherwise?
Some of the acts that go on at some of the parades could violate public lewdness laws. Firefighters should not be expected to hand out leaflets at any event that is violating law.

If the parade is not that way, and if the leaflets contain public service info, such as fire safety, then I see no problem expecting firefighters to hand them out.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but does the celebration of different sexual activities and preferences make it any less cultural?

(seriously, a philosophical question)
I would think that the celebration of a sexual preference doesn't need to include the celebration of different sexual activities. If sexual activities are acted out or portrayed or whatever in a public setting, that could violate public lewdness laws.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Some of the acts that go on at some of the parades could violate public lewdness laws. Firefighters should not be expected to hand out leaflets at any event that is violating law.

If the parade is not that way, and if the leaflets contain public service info, such as fire safety, then I see no problem expecting firefighters to hand them out.

also, just for everyone's clarification, Gay Pride is usually a weekend long event, with a parade followed by a more typical "festival" where there are many booths, food, activities, organizations recruiting members (like a gay rugby team, gay swim team) and it is probably at the "festival" portion of a Gay Pride weekend that the firefighters would be asked to pass out pamphlets, and this is where i got information on the police department in DC and in Arlington, VA.

the parade itself has some people passing out pamphlets, but it is usually of a less serious nature -- i've pamphleted a pride parade, but for a film festival i was helping to promote.

as for the lewdness ... hard to say, though there are cops there and i'm pretty sure everyone is made aware of the laws, but i cannot speak from experience.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #49
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I would think that the celebration of a sexual preference doesn't need to include the celebration of different sexual activities. If sexual activities are acted out or portrayed or whatever in a public setting, that could violate public lewdness laws.
What about Mardi Gras? Are the hets violating public lewdness laws? or is the celebration of sexual activities reserved for hets only?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR

What about Mardi Gras? Are the hets violating public lewdness laws? or is the celebration of sexual activities reserved for hets only?
I would never attend Mardi Gras, and it's mainly because of those kinds of things. I think all of those types of public "celebration" are wrong, whether gay or hetero.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #51
JCR
The Fly

'kay, thanks 80s, just curious. guess I won't be running into you on any nude beaches!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR
'kay, thanks 80s, just curious. guess I won't be running into you on any nude beaches!
Nope, that's for sure!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

also, just for everyone's clarification, Gay Pride is usually a weekend long event, with a parade followed by a more typical "festival" where there are many booths, food, activities, organizations recruiting members (like a gay rugby team, gay swim team) and it is probably at the "festival" portion of a Gay Pride weekend that the firefighters would be asked to pass out pamphlets, and this is where i got information on the police department in DC and in Arlington, VA.

the parade itself has some people passing out pamphlets, but it is usually of a less serious nature -- i've pamphleted a pride parade, but for a film festival i was helping to promote.

as for the lewdness ... hard to say, though there are cops there and i'm pretty sure everyone is made aware of the laws, but i cannot speak from experience.
The Toronto Gay Pride parade is a huge event and it's true, during the week there are tons of different things going on. Like a mini film festival, art galleries that feature works of gay artists, theatre shows, equality panels, and so on. It's just that the only thing you end up seeing on TV are guys in assless pants and that's probably what your average person thinks the pride week is about. The other stuff obviously doesn't get as much coverage.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #54
JCR
The Fly

Sooooo, when's the next Toronto Gay Pride parade? It sounds like great fun--I'mmm all over it like stink on a monkey! film? art? theatre? Ah but you can't beat the assless pants! Someone toss me a pair! Any vino at these parades? Does anyone know what goes on with the equality panels? I've done a little free lance journalism, maybe I can cover something other than the assless pants...but man, I really would like to keep them in somehow. Who doesn't LoVe the assless pants?

ANyone/everyone familiar with the works of David Wojnarowicz?