Gay Coercion? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

What you and Lies say does make sense. If it is part of the job description than I guess there´s no discussion.

P.S. I have nothing against homosexuals. My problem comes when I thought things were being forced upon others for no reason.

fair enough, and thank you for conceding a point, and i'm sorry if i come off strongly, but i get really exasperated at things like this. we're not talking about forcing a church to marry gay people.

how does a gay pride parade "force" something upon someone?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Hmm, it would be kind of like if I were forced to watch a Celine Dion DVD (whom I despise). Constant reminder of something you don´t agree with. You know?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hmm, it would be kind of like if I were forced to watch a Celine Dion DVD (whom I despise). Constant reminder of something you don´t agree with. You know?
But why would you watch it then? Who's doing the forcing? Just don't watch the movie, or don't attend the parade
Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

so is performing oral sex on a woman!

but you don't see me condemning anyone for it or using various religious texts to justify my own personal tastes or saying that woman have to right to receive, let alone enjoy, having someone perform oral sex on them. in fact, it makes me HAPPY when other people are happy and have fun and feel fufilled even if i think that one specific activity to be a bit of a stomach-turner.

but i suppose we cannot expect straight men to ever have to countenance the toleration of things that they themselves deem to be "gross."
you know i was being facetious, right?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

you know i was being facetious, right?

yes.

was just using it as a jumping off point.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

yes.

was just using it as a jumping off point.

(do you like tuna? )
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

(do you like tuna? )

i have a whole can of tuna on my salad today. with olive oil and lemon juice and an avacodo.

in all seriousness, i'm so sick of how compelled many straight men feel to express their distaste for homosexual romance/physicality. i'm asking no one to like it. i even understand when people think it's gross. i really do. there are sexual things that i think are gross. but i don't think it's wrong, firstly, and secondly, i don't feel as if my identity is predicated upon just how loudly i can exclaim just how gross i think something is.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

in all seriousness, i'm so sick of how compelled many straight men feel to express their distaste for homosexual romance/physicality. i'm asking no one to like it. i even understand when people think it's gross. i really do. there are sexual things that i think are gross. but i don't think it's wrong, firstly, and secondly, i don't feel as if my identity is predicated upon just how loudly i can exclaim just how gross i think something is.
i completely agree,

there are plenty of heterosexual acts that gross me out...
Old 08-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #40
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 05:01 PM
The part that got me in the article was when they said the firefighters "cannot be SEEN to discriminate." So they can discriminate all they want, just don't be seen doing it!!!!
The analogy with pharmacists refusing to do their job b/c of their personal/religious beliefs is right on target--if you can't put your biases? opinions? views? aside then quit the job (or volunteer position).
It is pretty apparent that the firefighters in question were being homophobic--they had their own little protest (refusing to hand out the leaflets) during the parade and got fired. So their little temper tantrum didn't pay off this time.

p.s. i marinate my tuna, so it's always delicious
Old 08-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't like tuna.

I wouldn't feel homosexual by going to a parade for my company. Respecting the fact that it exists and that they have the same human rights as others doesn't mean I'm gay. I would go to it, and just do my job. No problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There's a difference in personal taste(as in not liking Celine Dion) and not agree with something.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Why is a gay pride parade ANY different from ANY other cultural festival?
I guess it depends on what type of gay pride parade you're referring to. The ones that make the news (you know what kind of behavior I'm speaking of) aren't like other cultural festivals. I'm not saying that all gay pride parades are like that. I'm saying that some are, and that those are very different from other cultural festivals.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

The ones that make the news (you know what kind of behavior I'm speaking of) aren't like other cultural festivals. I'm not saying that all gay pride parades are like that. I'm saying that some are, and that those are very different from other cultural festivals.
Well even so, the firefighters still should be there to establish good relations with the community. Whether they're uncomfortable or not. What do they think is going to happen? I would think most of the gay people there have zero interest in "bothering" the firefighters or anyone else, if that's what they're afraid of.

There could be many aspects of other cultural festivals that might be deemed inappropriate or whatever word you want to use by individual firefighters - for personal, moral, or whatever reasons-would they object to leafleting those too?

Is that what it comes down to, that the gay people are acceptable only if they celebrate their pride in a way that is acceptable to straight men-firefighters or otherwise?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I guess it depends on what type of gay pride parade you're referring to. The ones that make the news (you know what kind of behavior I'm speaking of) aren't like other cultural festivals. I'm not saying that all gay pride parades are like that. I'm saying that some are, and that those are very different from other cultural festivals.

i understand that some aspects of some gay pride parades are different than other cultural festivals (though i would say that Gay Pride in general is losing relevance), but does the celebration of different sexual activities and preferences make it any less cultural?

(seriously, a philosophical question)