Gay Coercion? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

It`s not "their job" to go to a gay pride parade. The last time I checked a firefighter´s job was to help in emergencies.

To suddenly come up with new chores for them to fulfill is not right. It was a dumb determination to have firefighters handing out leaflets. Besides the fact that I would expect a firefighter to be overqualified to do that, I think someone else could have done that.

part of the job for ANY city services -- fire department, police department -- is to make themselves visible and available to the community and to invest time and energy into building up relationships with the communities in which they serve. part of doing this is to make appearances at various cultural festivals (among other things) and pass out information on the services they provide to the city, which is probably what those leaflets were for. i have a leaflet as well as the business card of the LGBT liaison for the Arlington Police Department because i happened to pass him at Gay Pride in June and he handed me his card, smiled, shook my hand, and said what his job was. this is not a "new chore." this is part of the job description.

yes, it IS their job.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Right, because the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about becoming a firefighter is "Wow, I can´t wait to hand out leaflets at a gay pride parade!"

Old 08-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Right, because the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about becoming a firefighter is "Wow, I can´t wait to hand out leaflets at a gay pride parade!"
I use to live across from a firestation and they were always hosting or attending community events. Honestly, I think they put in more time doing that than putting out fires (fortunately). I also planned a fundraiser for a job I had this past spring and the figherfighters were happy to come over with an engine and give a demonstration.

They take community involvement VERY seriously; it is a HUGE part of their job.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

you know what, if this were ANY other cultural event, you wouldn't even think twice. so take your prejudice and shove it.

guess what?

there are many, many, many immigrants from Central America (mostly Salvadoreans and Guatemalans) in my neighborhood, and they have various festivals throughout the year, and guess what, the fire department and the police department are at these festivals and pass out leaflets IN SPANISH so that people will know what to do in case their homes start to burn down.

hy is a gay pride parade ANY different from ANY other cultural festival?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

because being gay is gross!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Some people´s religion clashes with homosexuality. When you realize how hard it is to respect that then you´ll realize how hard it is for them to respect homosexuality.

Homosexuals are still very far away from full acceptance and forcing it upon people is not the right way to do it. That´s all.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
because being gay is gross!!!

so is performing oral sex on a woman!

but you don't see me condemning anyone for it or using various religious texts to justify my own personal tastes or saying that woman have to right to receive, let alone enjoy, having someone perform oral sex on them. in fact, it makes me HAPPY when other people are happy and have fun and feel fufilled even if i think that one specific activity to be a bit of a stomach-turner.

but i suppose we cannot expect straight men to ever have to countenance the toleration of things that they themselves deem to be "gross."
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Some people´s religion clashes with homosexuality. When you realize how hard it is to respect that then you´ll realize how hard it is for them to respect homosexuality.

....but when you start working as a firefighter you agree that it is part of your job to participate in community events. Basically, these firefighters are refusing to do a job they originally agreed to do.

This isn't about gay people, it's about seperation of church and state. Firefighters work for their local governments, not for churches. When you work for a government, you don't get to refuse to do your job because of your own personal religious beliefs.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Homosexuals are still very far away from full acceptance and forcing it upon people is not the right way to do it. That´s all.

fuck that. there's no forcing anywhere. i'm so fucking sick of people thinking that the mere presence of gay people, or a gay-themed event, is somehow tantamount to "forcing" homosexuality on anyone. let me ask you BEB -- ever talk about your girlfriend? ever talk about being married? ever talk about having kids? ever talk about how pretty girls are? ever been to a wedding?

well, if you have, STOP FORCING YOUR HETEROSEXUALITY ON ME!

i'm sick of this -- religion is no excuse for not doing your job. if your religion impedes the performance of your job, then find another job. no one is asking the firefighters to wave a flag or sit on a float. they are asking them to attend a cultural festival, just one among many held in every city in every country throughout the world on any given weekend and do their part in community outreach.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
For someone who supports illegal immigration and immigrants from South and Central America you sure dont show respect to others. How can you call yourself a christian if you dont respect all of God's people.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Let's not make this debate personal please, there's no need for that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

For someone who supports illegal immigration and immigrants from South and Central America you sure dont show respect to others. How can you call yourself a christian if you dont respect all of God's people.
I don`t think I was being disrespectful but if you tell me what part was disrespectful I´ll either clear it up or apologize.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

No one is forcing the homosexuality on me or anyone.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

fuck that. there's no forcing anywhere. i'm so fucking sick of people thinking that the mere presence of gay people, or a gay-themed event, is somehow tantamount to "forcing" homosexuality on anyone. let me ask you BEB -- ever talk about your girlfriend? ever talk about being married? ever talk about having kids? ever talk about how pretty girls are? ever been to a wedding?

well, if you have, STOP FORCING YOUR HETEROSEXUALITY ON ME!

i'm sick of this -- religion is no excuse for not doing your job. if your religion impedes the performance of your job, then find another job. no one is asking the firefighters to wave a flag or sit on a float. they are asking them to attend a cultural festival, just one among many held in every city in every country throughout the world on any given weekend and do their part in community outreach.
What you and Lies say does make sense. If it is part of the job description than I guess there´s no discussion.

P.S. I have nothing against homosexuals. My problem comes when I thought things were being forced upon others for no reason.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

What you and Lies say does make sense. If it is part of the job description than I guess there´s no discussion.

P.S. I have nothing against homosexuals. My problem comes when I thought things were being forced upon others for no reason.
I think the confusing thing is that at first glance it seems like the firefighters were required to participate in the parade and hand out materials that dealt with homosexuality. All they have to do is be there for safety reasons (because that's the nature of their job) and handout their own materials.