Gay and religious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
Totally non judgmental query - no animosity intended (though expected) but I was wondering who on here has feelings or experiences about being gay and religious?

How does your sexuality define your beliefs or how you interact with your fellow... religiousy people - be they Christian, Jew, Muslim, Madonna fan, etc.

This isnt a discussion for bickering about what is right or wrong - just an honest question from someone interested in the potential dichotomy of being a religious homsexual.

For the record - and it makes no difference at all - I am not gay, but am religious but believe the only one who has the right to judge is G-d.

I used to know someone who did loads of work for the church and he was camp.

:reject:

I have a really good friend who's gay and religious. It's very refreshing to know someone truly devoted, but not the uber-conservative/fundamentalist type. He actually has this really cool tattoo on his wrist that says "In the name of the Father" in Latin, not that that really has to do with anything. Anyway, I think it's entirely possible to be gay and religious. I went to a religious college in a very conservative community (though the college faculty are generally quite liberal) and there are gay people here.

One of our most active couples in our church is gay. The younger crowd loves them because they're more open, and the little old ladies love them because they're excellent decorators :lol:

thatsnotmypuppy said:

How does your sexuality define your beliefs or how you interact with your fellow... religiousy people - be they Christian, Jew, Muslim, Madonna fan, etc.

It shouldn't define anything...

Last edited:
Thats true - I just couldnt quite pinpoint a better wording for it. I am well aware your sexuality doesn't define you. :)

My younger brother's gay and a full-on, out-of-the-closet Moslem.

Of course, he is able to be that way because he lives in progressive Toronto. If it was Tehran or Mecca, he wouldn't be living too long, methinx. Toronto has many support groups for gay Moslems. Very encouraging.

My uber-Moslem mom wasn't too happy about his homosexuality and is always threatening to disown him, and when he gets defensive he always says to her "Yeah, i may be gay, but at least i'm a devout Moslem. Shaf (my real name) IS ATHIEST!"

And then i get a phone call from hysterical mom, worried that she's going straight to hell because her one kid is gay and the other one is a non-believer.

Ah, the positive effects of religion on some people.

Last edited:
thatsnotmypuppy said:

This isnt a discussion for bickering about what is right or wrong - just an honest question from someone interested in the potential dichotomy of being a religious homsexual.

You could really make the same argument for any sexual orientation. For example, there's plenty of issues surrounding women and Christianity.

Does YOUR gender affect "how you interact with your fellow religiousy people"?

martha said:

I'm sorry, but the way you said this made me laugh. :hug:

Martha, mom's pending spiritual breakdown wasn't helped by me marrying a Christian, white, AMERICAN woman, and with me naming my kids Judah and Nico.

I, of course, take no personal responsibility and, rather, blame cultural globalization. That and, i suppose, something called love.

Last edited:
thatsnotmypuppy said:
Totally non judgmental query - no animosity intended (though expected) but I was wondering who on here has feelings or experiences about being gay and religious?

My Priest is a Lesbian. She came out admirably as the congregation was in the process of selecting our new Priest.
She did not want to be chosen without the congregation knowing who she was up front.

There are many gay and lesbian couples that attend church with me, along with their children.

They are a part of our community.

Well Im Catholic but not really practicing...and its not because of their views on gays.

I dont really connect the two. I dont know what that says about me but......? well i dont know

I dont feel left out of religion, but I dont have very strong feelings towards the Catholic church to begin with. 12 years of Catholic schooling does that I guess....

Of course you can be! Just look at this breaking story:

The leader of one of Colorado's most popular mega-churches, Ted Haggard, is temporarily stepping down from his leadership role, after allegations from a male prostitute that Haggard solicited gay sex.

He's also the President of the National Association of Evangelicals.

Re: Re: Gay and religious?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It shouldn't define anything...
Like hell, sexual preference defines a lot about a person, the way that they act and their personality. Maybe we shouldn't judge people based on preference but on the type of person that they are - of which sexuality is one of the big controls.

Last edited:
anitram said:

He made it into Richard Dawkin's documentary "The Root of all Evil".

Re: Re: Re: Gay and religious?

A_Wanderer said:
Like hell, sexual preference defines a lot about a person, the way that they act and their personality. Maybe we shouldn't judge people based on preference but on the type of person that they are - of which sexuality is one of the big controls.

Youre falling for the stereotype...:shame:

you would never know Im gay. I seem like the average teen who plays basketball and football...

For instance, I cant name one flower in a buquet (sp?) let alone spell it, I wouldnt know how to turn a sewing maching on even, and I think guys that wear tight pants should only be in bands. LOL (this is true but meant to be a joke by the way)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gay and religious?

mkdominatr said:

you would never know Im gay. I seem like the average teen who plays basketball and football...

For instance, I cant name one flower in a buquet (sp?) let alone spell it, I wouldnt know how to turn a sewing maching on even, and I think guys that wear tight pants should only be in bands. LOL (this is true but meant to be a joke by the way)
:ohmy: I love flower arranging and i can make my own sweaters

:eyebrow:

watch out, i might be rubbing off on you. oh wait, i do neither of those. :shrug:

i don't consider myself religious but i do consider myself to be spiritual and belong to a spiritual community. fortunately, my choice of "religion" accepts all pathways to God, whether it is Judaism, Buddhism, Muslim, etc. And we accept all people. So I guess I am lucky but i don't know that I would be so comfortable in a different type of church and/or religion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gay and religious?

mkdominatr said:

Sexualilty goes beyond mannerisms and stereotypes it is a defining part of our individuality. I would probably not be the same person if my sexuality was reversed and I would interact with other people differently.

That's for you personally. A gay person can have all of the same personality traits as a straight person. If you were gay, you would be different than you are. Then you'd have something in common with some straight guys too. All personality traits apply to all orientations, except for the orientation itself.

anitram said:

I find it hilarious how he admits to having a massage and buying meth but neither having sex or using the meth. Sssssuuuurrrreeee!!!!!:wink:

He has been fired by New Life Church's Overseer Board.

"Our investigation and Pastor Haggard's public statements have proven without a doubt that he has committed sexually immoral conduct," the New Life Church's Overseer Board said in a statement."

Church member Christine Rayes, 47, said the congregation had hoped the allegations "were all lies."

"We all have to move forward now," she said. "This doesn't make what Ted accomplished here any less. The farther up you are, the more you are a target for Satan."

-Associated Press

That comment from the church member cracks me up, ooooh, Satan!! And yes if I seem to taking pleasure from this whole thing, I am. Exposure of hypocrisy is beautiful thing.

trevster2k said:
And yes if I seem to taking pleasure from this whole thing, I am. Exposure of hypocrisy is beautiful thing.

It certainly seems that the super conservative Christians who talk about sex all the time, think about sex all the time, straight, gay, adulterous, single, whatever, are the biggest perverts in our society. Nobody normal thinks about sex that much or focuses on it that much, especially other people's sex lives and what they do behind closed doors.

phillyfan26 said:
That's for you personally. A gay person can have all of the same personality traits as a straight person. If you were gay, you would be different than you are. Then you'd have something in common with some straight guys too. All personality traits apply to all orientations, except for the orientation itself.

Couldn't say it any better myself.

Pagans actually celebrate all forms of consensual sexuality as sacred, and thus, pagan groups have lots of LGBT folk in them.

Every Beltane (May 1st), I go to a pagan festival attended by hundreds of (mostly) gay folks (I'm bi and married and polyamrous, for the record). It's like church, only the outfits are better.

Am I to be lambasted for going against the status quo here? I don't think the 2 are compatible at all. Forgive me if you feel im being judgemental.

Back
Top Bottom