Gay and religious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe there are universal tenets shared by all faiths which sometimes may go unspoken but are as hard to quantify for validity as the very nature of faith in an all knowing all powerful God/ Allah/Jehova.
Hope I'm making myself clear Indra.

I'm bi, my brother is gay, and we both used to be religious. We both left the church for similar reasons. We live in a small city in the bible belt, if that gives you any idea of the atmosphere here. There are churches everywhere. Of course, there are the big, old churches with bell towers, but there are also the tiny evangelical churches that crop up everywhere. We were at one of the latter.
My brother left because he (and his boyfriend at the time, who also attended the church) were continually being scolded by the Pastor for their relationship. The general consensus was that homosexuality itself was not a sin, but that the homosexual acts were. The church was also openly against gay marriage.
I left some months after my brother, in part because I had a spiritual crisis at the time, I wasn't sure what I believed in, or if I believed at all. I was also sick of sitting there and being told that part of what I was, and what my brother was, was a sin, was wrong.
Months later, I finally did come to terms with my own beliefs and spirituality. I wouldn't call myself religious. I haven't stepped foot into a church in two and a half years. I am a believer though. But I miss being in church. I miss the charasmatic part of it, the worship services that were as exciting and joyous as a rock concert. But unfortunately, at least in my area, churches and closemindedness go hand in hand.

jinn77 said:
I believe there are universal tenets shared by all faiths which sometimes may go unspoken but are as hard to quantify for validity as the very nature of faith in an all knowing all powerful God/ Allah/Jehova.
Hope I'm making myself clear Indra.

A cursory glance of anthropology would reveal that there is no such thing as a "universal tenet" regarding this subject. Unfortunately, Western missionaries have done a great job killing third-world cultures over the last 500 years, so I guess you'd get the impression that everyone is in agreement.

Melon

Melon, I myself am a descendent of parents from a so called Third World country and am glad to say my ancestors fought off influence from missionaries. The legacy of that is I am lucky enough to still follow my native faith. Missionary rhetoric does not cloud my views. I guess im trying to state that my view of homosexuality and religion as not being compatable is a conviction, much like a faith in any religion. It cannot be proved or disproved. I beleive it be true and a basic tenet of my religion, wether written or not.

jinn77 said:
I guess im trying to state that my view of homosexuality and religion as not being compatable is a conviction, much like a faith in any religion. It cannot be proved or disproved. I beleive it be true and a basic tenet of my religion, wether written or not.

That's sad.

In response to Martha, of course they exist, they are people with faults and virtues just like me, however all of my convictions tell me that they are misguided and mis-interpreting their chosen faith.

jinn77 said:
In response to Martha, of course they exist, they are people with faults and virtues just like me, however all of my convictions tell me that they are misguided and mis-interpreting their chosen faith.

You're allowed your personal convictions. Just don't try to imply that they're universal.

Melon

To Bono Vox, yes I do look in the mirror Mr Vox, and most days I look damn fine. Have a nice day.

martha said:

Not to me you aren't. :scratch:

I'm really worried about your chronic scalp itching of late Martha.
It may just be an allergy or the drier air, but to be sure, you really should see a doctor to rule out seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis or a fungal infection.

Back
Top Bottom