Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Of All Gas Consumers, Bush May Be Biggest
Honestly, do people have to try to tie George Bush with everything evil in the world today?

Seriously, though.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #92
Refugee

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Honestly, do people have to try to tie George Bush with everything evil in the world today?

Seriously, though.
When you're the president of the world's most powerful (and richest) nation, and you also happen to be an idiot, then I guess you're a fair target.

Not that I'm trying to insinuate that Dubya is an idiot or anything...

Old 08-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin
Nobody needs an SUV. Unless you live on a dirt road in the middle of the bush, an SUV serves no practical purpose. An SUV is a form of conspicuous consumption, that's all.
So should everyone in New England and Western Mountains stay at home whenever there is snow in the air or on the ground? SUVs are great for winter driving, there is need for them.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #94
Refugee

Nice try. I live in Canada. I grew up in a small town where there is snow on the ground from November to March, and where the temperatures have been know to go as low as 40 degrees celcius. My family used a car for transportation, and never had a problem getting around. All you need are good snow tires. Thankfully I now live in Vancouver, where we usually only get one or maybe two significant snowfalls per winter. Still, many people have SUV's, even though they don't really need them to get around because there's no snow, and few people ever go into the back country. It's a joke. It's just a status symbol, and nothing more.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #95
The Fly

Local Time: 03:50 PM
I have lived my whole life in the north of Sweden where the climate is quite "snowy" (maybe it's worse in the US, I don't know, but we would typically have about three feet (one metre) of snow in the winter, and if it was windy it was a hell to drive on narrow roads with snow all over the place). We had snow from October to April and temperatures usually under 20 degrees celcius in the winter, and quite often down to about 30-35 degrees in January.
But my family, despite both my parents commuting about 100 kilometres (about 62 miles) a day in different directions we managed with one Mazda 626 and carpooling.

I knew one family who owned a SUV and they were from the south of Sweden and thought they needed one. Apart from them everyone had normal cars and almost everyone drove around the same distances as my parents.

Yes, there are parts of Europe that are very vast with long commutetimes just like in the US, and our gasprice right now is about 1.2 Euros/litre. People started to complain when the gas price broke the one-euro-per-litre-barrier.
So, it is a problem here too, as some people need their cars to get to work in the rural areas and the public transport is poor and expensive there (three busrides each day where I used to live).

Now I live in a town of about 105.000 people and I have sold my car, never used it as you can ride your bike just about everywhere, and there are both buses to get around in the city and bus and train and an airport for intercity commute. I just wish more people would realise that we should value our public transport system more and actually use it to get around. When you tell me about the american public transport I feel blessed that we have one and we should really be happy about it and use it.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin
Nice try. I live in Canada. I grew up in a small town where there is snow on the ground from November to March, and where the temperatures have been know to go as low as 40 degrees celcius. My family used a car for transportation, and never had a problem getting around. All you need are good snow tires. Thankfully I now live in Vancouver, where we usually only get one or maybe two significant snowfalls per winter. Still, many people have SUV's, even though they don't really need them to get around because there's no snow, and few people ever go into the back country. It's a joke. It's just a status symbol, and nothing more.
Right, there is no other point of me owning an SUV other than being cool. An SUV allows me to carry my bike, skis, and whatever other large items I need to move. I suppose large families have no need for an SUV either or people using them for towing purposes. I will concede that many people drive them to be cool...hence the number of Luxury SUVs out there but many people use them for what they are designed for.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #97
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Right, exactly, there is no other point of me owning an SUV other than being cool. An SUV allows me to carry my bike, skis, and whatever other large items I need to move. I suppose large families have no need for an SUV either or people using them for towing purposes. I will concede that many people drive them to be cool...hence the number of Luxury SUVs out there but many people use them for what they are designed for.
Well, at least you put your SUV to good use. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for most SUV owners. Most of them never leave the city.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail So should everyone in New England and Western Mountains stay at home whenever there is snow in the air or on the ground? SUVs are great for winter driving, there is need for them.
OK...you might need them for 14-20 days out of the year! But it still doesn't justify a Hummer or an Escalade, does it?

A lot of the new cars have amazing traction control or all-wheel drive that works just as well in snow. And NOTHING is going to save you from ice. I lived in Minnesota for 12 years...yes, Minnesnowta. I have quite a bit of snow driving experience.

Quote:
Originally posted by anne_j Now I live in a town of about 105.000 people and I have sold my car, never used it as you can ride your bike just about everywhere, and there are both buses to get around in the city and bus and train and an airport for intercity commute. I just wish more people would realise that we should value our public transport system more and actually use it to get around. When you tell me about the american public transport I feel blessed that we have one and we should really be happy about it and use it.
I want to live your life!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie

does anyone need a luxury car? No, it's all about style points. The exotic sports cars are even worse than SUVs on mileage but some people just have an ax to grind with them.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

But it still doesn't justify a Hummer or an Escalade, does it?
Nothing, I mean nothing justifies that!!!

That's basically like wearing a diamond ring that emits toxic fumes.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Nothing, I mean nothing justifies that!!!

That's basically like wearing a diamond ring that emits toxic fumes.

Nothing really justifies a buying big ass diamond ring either, right? Whether it be SUVs, houses, or rings, we love big ass things.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 AM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail does anyone need a luxury car? No, it's all about style points. The exotic sports cars are even worse than SUVs on mileage but some people just have an ax to grind with them.
So, style points are a good thing? I am confused by your comment.

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail Nothing really justifies a buying big ass diamond ring either, right? Whether it be SUVs, houses, or rings, we love big ass things.
Your are missing the point. A large house will most likely increase in value. A diamond will retain its value.

An Escalade will decrease in value as soon as you drive it off of the lot, and then will add to the worlds over-consumption of a limited batural resource that continues to rise in price because supply cannot keep up with the demand - thus hurting everyone.

Yup. Nothing beats style points though.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, I don't buy that an SUV is the ONLY vehicle that will work in lots of snow. I've lived in West Michigan my entire life. We deal with lake effect snow from September to May and our family has never owned or even considered owning an SUV. There are alternatives, like appropriate tires and such.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 AM   #104
Acrobat

While I think public transportation would be great, I think the size of many cities is a bit daunting. Laws could be enacted to limit sprawl, but in a lot of places, there is already a ton of sprawl. Fort Worth is not exactly made at nice walking distances. There would have to be stops every 500 feet or so (especially in the summer...who wants to walk around outside in August?).
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

So, style points are a good thing? I am confused by your comment.

Your are missing the point. A large house will most likely increase in value. A diamond will retain its value.

An Escalade will decrease in value as soon as you drive it off of the lot, and then will add to the worlds over-consumption of a limited batural resource that continues to rise in price because supply cannot keep up with the demand - thus hurting everyone.

Yup. Nothing beats style points though.

Sorry for the confusion, but I have no love what-so-ever for people that buy cars based on style points. You're right about it not retaining any value, unless you wait 50 years until it becomes a classic.

Large homes and diamonds can be just as bad as cars. Lots of blood has been shed over diamonds in Africa. The culture of excess exists in nearly every aspect of America.