Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
XHendrix24 said:

Honestly, do people have to try to tie George Bush with everything evil in the world today?

Seriously, though.

When you're the president of the world's most powerful (and richest) nation, and you also happen to be an idiot, then I guess you're a fair target.

Not that I'm trying to insinuate that Dubya is an idiot or anything...:wink:

starvinmarvin said:
Nobody needs an SUV. Unless you live on a dirt road in the middle of the bush, an SUV serves no practical purpose. An SUV is a form of conspicuous consumption, that's all.

So should everyone in New England and Western Mountains stay at home whenever there is snow in the air or on the ground? SUVs are great for winter driving, there is need for them.

Nice try. I live in Canada. I grew up in a small town where there is snow on the ground from November to March, and where the temperatures have been know to go as low as 40 degrees celcius. My family used a car for transportation, and never had a problem getting around. All you need are good snow tires. Thankfully I now live in Vancouver, where we usually only get one or maybe two significant snowfalls per winter. Still, many people have SUV's, even though they don't really need them to get around because there's no snow, and few people ever go into the back country. It's a joke. It's just a status symbol, and nothing more.

I have lived my whole life in the north of Sweden where the climate is quite "snowy" (maybe it's worse in the US, I don't know, but we would typically have about three feet (one metre) of snow in the winter, and if it was windy it was a hell to drive on narrow roads with snow all over the place). We had snow from October to April and temperatures usually under 20 degrees celcius in the winter, and quite often down to about 30-35 degrees in January.
But my family, despite both my parents commuting about 100 kilometres (about 62 miles) a day in different directions we managed with one Mazda 626 and carpooling.

I knew one family who owned a SUV and they were from the south of Sweden and thought they needed one. Apart from them everyone had normal cars and almost everyone drove around the same distances as my parents.

Yes, there are parts of Europe that are very vast with long commutetimes just like in the US, and our gasprice right now is about 1.2 Euros/litre. People started to complain when the gas price broke the one-euro-per-litre-barrier.
So, it is a problem here too, as some people need their cars to get to work in the rural areas and the public transport is poor and expensive there (three busrides each day where I used to live).

Now I live in a town of about 105.000 people and I have sold my car, never used it as you can ride your bike just about everywhere, and there are both buses to get around in the city and bus and train and an airport for intercity commute. I just wish more people would realise that we should value our public transport system more and actually use it to get around. When you tell me about the american public transport I feel blessed that we have one and we should really be happy about it and use it.

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:
Nice try. I live in Canada. I grew up in a small town where there is snow on the ground from November to March, and where the temperatures have been know to go as low as 40 degrees celcius. My family used a car for transportation, and never had a problem getting around. All you need are good snow tires. Thankfully I now live in Vancouver, where we usually only get one or maybe two significant snowfalls per winter. Still, many people have SUV's, even though they don't really need them to get around because there's no snow, and few people ever go into the back country. It's a joke. It's just a status symbol, and nothing more.

Right, there is no other point of me owning an SUV other than being cool. An SUV allows me to carry my bike, skis, and whatever other large items I need to move. I suppose large families have no need for an SUV either or people using them for towing purposes. I will concede that many people drive them to be cool...hence the number of Luxury SUVs out there but many people use them for what they are designed for.

Last edited:
randhail said:

Right, exactly, there is no other point of me owning an SUV other than being cool. An SUV allows me to carry my bike, skis, and whatever other large items I need to move. I suppose large families have no need for an SUV either or people using them for towing purposes. I will concede that many people drive them to be cool...hence the number of Luxury SUVs out there but many people use them for what they are designed for.

Well, at least you put your SUV to good use. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for most SUV owners. Most of them never leave the city.

Originally posted by randhail So should everyone in New England and Western Mountains stay at home whenever there is snow in the air or on the ground? SUVs are great for winter driving, there is need for them.

OK...you might need them for 14-20 days out of the year! But it still doesn't justify a Hummer or an Escalade, does it?

A lot of the new cars have amazing traction control or all-wheel drive that works just as well in snow. And NOTHING is going to save you from ice. I lived in Minnesota for 12 years...yes, Minnesnowta. I have quite a bit of snow driving experience.

Originally posted by anne_j Now I live in a town of about 105.000 people and I have sold my car, never used it as you can ride your bike just about everywhere, and there are both buses to get around in the city and bus and train and an airport for intercity commute. I just wish more people would realise that we should value our public transport system more and actually use it to get around. When you tell me about the american public transport I feel blessed that we have one and we should really be happy about it and use it.

I want to live your life! :up:

does anyone need a luxury car? No, it's all about style points. The exotic sports cars are even worse than SUVs on mileage but some people just have an ax to grind with them.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Nothing, I mean nothing justifies that!!!

That's basically like wearing a diamond ring that emits toxic fumes.

Nothing really justifies a buying big ass diamond ring either, right? Whether it be SUVs, houses, or rings, we love big ass things.

Originally posted by randhail does anyone need a luxury car? No, it's all about style points. The exotic sports cars are even worse than SUVs on mileage but some people just have an ax to grind with them.

So, style points are a good thing? I am confused by your comment.

Originally posted by randhail Nothing really justifies a buying big ass diamond ring either, right? Whether it be SUVs, houses, or rings, we love big ass things.

Your are missing the point. A large house will most likely increase in value. A diamond will retain its value.

An Escalade will decrease in value as soon as you drive it off of the lot, and then will add to the worlds over-consumption of a limited batural resource that continues to rise in price because supply cannot keep up with the demand - thus hurting everyone.

Yup. Nothing beats style points though.

Sorry, I don't buy that an SUV is the ONLY vehicle that will work in lots of snow. I've lived in West Michigan my entire life. We deal with lake effect snow from September to May and our family has never owned or even considered owning an SUV. There are alternatives, like appropriate tires and such.

While I think public transportation would be great, I think the size of many cities is a bit daunting. Laws could be enacted to limit sprawl, but in a lot of places, there is already a ton of sprawl. Fort Worth is not exactly made at nice walking distances. There would have to be stops every 500 feet or so (especially in the summer...who wants to walk around outside in August?).

zonelistener said:

So, style points are a good thing? I am confused by your comment.

Your are missing the point. A large house will most likely increase in value. A diamond will retain its value.

An Escalade will decrease in value as soon as you drive it off of the lot, and then will add to the worlds over-consumption of a limited batural resource that continues to rise in price because supply cannot keep up with the demand - thus hurting everyone.

Yup. Nothing beats style points though.

Sorry for the confusion, but I have no love what-so-ever for people that buy cars based on style points. You're right about it not retaining any value, unless you wait 50 years until it becomes a classic.

Large homes and diamonds can be just as bad as cars. Lots of blood has been shed over diamonds in Africa. The culture of excess exists in nearly every aspect of America.

randhail said:
Large homes and diamonds can be just as bad as cars. Lots of blood has been shed over diamonds in Africa. The culture of excess exists in nearly every aspect of America.

Not to go totally off-topic, but I totally agree. I've made it VERY clear to my boyfriend that if he buys me an engagement ring, nothing personal, but I won't wear over-valued blood diamonds mined by and under-paid, under-nourished South African worker trying to support his entire family so I can wear a pretty ring and have people oogle over me.

Excessive homes and bling are just as disgusting as fancy cars, yes, but SUVs are still unnecessary and a gross waste of recources, IMO.

I've already checked the routes to and from work (6 miles both ways) but the sidewalks stop at a very significant distance from work which would have me riding my bike on the main roadway for half the distance. Too dangerous.. The city transportation wouldn't get me to work on time and I would have to wait an hour in the evening. So I checked into carpooling and the one person who lives near me is already on probation for not showing up for work and or being late. I've found no one else yet, who lives near me with the same hours I work. (or doesn't have a gas guzzling big ass vehicle :sigh:)
but I'm still looking...

sue4u2 said:
So I checked into carpooling and the one person who lives near me is already on probation for not showing up for work and or being late.

:lol: Probably not a good person to ride with then, eh?

Ft. Worth Frog said:
While I think public transportation would be great, I think the size of many cities is a bit daunting. Laws could be enacted to limit sprawl, but in a lot of places, there is already a ton of sprawl. Fort Worth is not exactly made at nice walking distances. There would have to be stops every 500 feet or so (especially in the summer...who wants to walk around outside in August?).

I think the USA is a classic case of a problem being ignored till it spiralled out of control. I mean look at LA and look at all the ton of problems letting it sprawl so far has caused it. (Sorry to keep using LA but I studied it last year so it's about the only US city I know anything about).

I'd like to say you could do this or that but I think you've dug yourselves into a hole and are going to find it very hard to get out of it. Perhaps researching alternative fuel resources rather than spending billions on space exploration would be the better option? Perhaps in time US cities will follow the British pattern and gentrification will occur which should help at least reduce the sprawl. Would building a subway be feasible with cities that have grown so large and developed? I dunno. All I'll say is good luck! : patronisingpeopleagainsorry :

Also, everyone talking about winters where the temperature dips to below 20 degrees C. Are you sure you don't all mean minus 20 degrees C/40 degrees C because a temperature below 20C is still pretty warm in my book. I'd have thought/I always did think countries as far north as Canada and Sweden and away from warm sea air currents would get really, really cold in winter.

TheQuiet1 said:

I think the USA is a classic case of a problem being ignored till it spiralled out of control. I mean look at LA and look at all the ton of problems letting it sprawl so far has caused it. (Sorry to keep using LA but I studied it last year so it's about the only US city I know anything about).

I'd like to say you could do this or that but I think you've dug yourselves into a hole and are going to find it very hard to get out of it. Perhaps researching alternative fuel resources rather than spending billions on space exploration would be the better option? Perhaps in time US cities will follow the British pattern and gentrification will occur which should help at least reduce the sprawl. Would building a subway be feasible with cities that have grown so large and developed? I dunno. All I'll say is good luck! : patronisingpeopleagainsorry :

Also, everyone talking about winters where the temperature dips to below 20 degrees C. Are you sure you don't all mean minus 20 degrees C/40 degrees C because a temperature below 20C is still pretty warm in my book. I'd have thought/I always did think countries as far north as Canada and Sweden and away from warm sea air currents would get really, really cold in winter.

Yes, Canada's climate is generally very cold in the winter, and temperatures between minus 20-40 degress Centigrade are the norm in most areas, especially in central Canada. However, the west coast has a much milder climate due to the warm sea current. I live in Vancouver, and we usually only see 1 or maybe 2 significant snowfalls per winter, and the temperature usually hover around 10 degrees celcius. It's the only place in Canada where you can play golf in January. It rains alot in the winter, but I'd take that over minus 30 degrees and 5 months of snow any day.

MrsSpringsteen said:
FORT PAYNE, Alabama (AP) -- A gas station owner was run over and killed when he tried to stop a driver from leaving without paying for $52 worth of gasoline, police said.

The driver had not been apprehended Sunday, and police Chief David Walker said the case was being investigated as a robbery-homicide.

Witnesses told police that Husain Caddi, owner of Fort Payne Texaco, "grabbed onto the vehicle" Friday when the driver began to drive off.

Caddi was dragged across the parking lot and onto a highway, where he fell to the pavement and was run over by the late model sport utility vehicle's rear wheel, Walker said.

"Other vehicles were leaving the station's lot and there was a great deal of traffic on the roadway near the station at the time," Walker said.

Caddi, 54, later died at a hospital, Walker said.

Police said the driver was in his 20s or 30s.

Gas prices have surged to a nationwide average of $2.55 a gallon.

Fortunately they caught the goob that did this. Hopefully they will up the manslaughter charge. Death in the commission of a crime should bring a homicide charge. Caddi moved to Fort Payne because of the beautiful scenery and friendly people. We've always enjoyed visiting relatives up there at Christmas and going to Little River Canyon in the fall. Even the small towns aren't safe from idiots.

From www.al.com and The Huntsville Times:

Ider man held in gas station owner's death
Friday, August 26, 2005
By DAVID BREWER
Times Staff Writer davidb@htimes.com
Fort Payne police say Alvin Dwight Benefield surrendered

FORT PAYNE - The man police say ran over and killed a Fort Payne gas station owner as he tried to stop the driver from taking off without paying for $52 in gas last week turned himself in to police Thursday morning.

Police Chief David Walker said Alvin Dwight Benefield, 25, of Ider was charged with manslaughter in the death of Husain Caddi, 54, owner and operator of the Fort Payne Texaco at 2645 Greenhill Blvd. near Interstate 59.

On Aug. 19, Walker said, witnesses saw the victim grab the side of the vehicle and get dragged across the parking lot. He said Caddi fell from the vehicle and was run over just after it left the parking lot and headed north on U.S. 11. Caddi was taken to Baptist Medical Center-DeKalb where he died from his injuries.

Walker said police had checked hundreds of vehicle registration numbers on a gold, brown or tan sports utility vehicle that witnesses said might be a Jeep Liberty or Ford Explorer. They were preparing to check hundreds more when Benefield turned himself in, Walker said.

The vehicle Benefield was driving when he allegedly ran over Caddi was a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, he said.

Walker said investigators got a statement from Benefield before placing him in the Fort Payne City Jail. He was expected to be transferred to the DeKalb County Jail, also in Fort Payne. His bond had not yet been set Thursday afternoon.

Police also charged Benefield with third-degree theft for taking the gasoline.

The victim's son, Amri Caddi, 25, of Fort Payne said he and other relatives are relieved. Speaking by cell phone, Caddi said he was on his way Thursday afternoon to Atlanta to catch a flight to Indonesia to bury his father in his native country.

Caddi said he forgives the man who killed his father and that being bitter about it will not bring his father back.

A freshman at Gadsden State studying marketing and business management, Caddi said he was at school when he learned about his father's death.

He said he will return in two to three weeks to help run his father's station.

"I have to keep it going, " he said. "My father's spirit is in that store."

~U2Alabama

TheQuiet1 said:

In the north of Sweden it's normal to have winters with temperatures between -20 and -30 degrees C. Occasionally it dips down below -30C in january.
In the southern half of Sweden the climate actually is much warmer than that. The south of Sweden feel lucky if they get any snow at all. I live somewhat north of the middle of the country, and here it never gets colder than -25C.

Sweden is very far to the north if you compare it to northern US and southern Canada, and the only reason it's liveable here is because of the warm Gulf Current. Otherwise the climate here would be the same as Siberia, as it's as far to the north.

anne_j said:

and the only reason it's liveable here is because of the warm Gulf Current.

This all ties in v.nicely with this whole topic actually. A lot of people think that Global Warming will mean hotter temperatures but for some countries the reverse could be true.

The UK (which is quite a mild climate) is actually on the same latitude as Moscow and Hudson Bay (??) in Canada. So basically it should be v.v.cold but it's the warm air from the gulf stream that keeps it warm. However, as Global Warming (Caused by C02 emissions......) melts the ice caps the resultant water could push the Gulf Stream further away so the heat might not reach us any more. Thus far, far colder winters.

^If any of the above info is wrong, blame my geography teacher or me for not listening properly, whichever.

But I had no idea that the Gulf Stream could affect countries such as Sweden (we didn't study it in any detail, it was just we were doing about the past British climate changes millions of years ago and it was mentioned for how Global Warming could affect us in the future......I think). I didn't realise it went over that far. Learn something new every day. :)

Geez...what a tragedy...I hate to say this, people, but what was going through that guy's mind when he pulled away? I imagine he could tell the guy was possibly a Moslem.. if he was shouting in an Indonesian accent. I hope a smug "FU" wasn't going through his mind...

Sorry but I can';t underestimate racism in times like these..if course he meant to steal the gas but sticking it to a Moselm must have been SO nice.

Not that I have noidea what was going on in that guy's head. But I can't guaruntee that there wouldn't be idiots who WOULD do this thinking like that.

TheQuiet1 said:

This all ties in v.nicely with this whole topic actually. A lot of people think that Global Warming will mean hotter temperatures but for some countries the reverse could be true.

The UK (which is quite a mild climate) is actually on the same latitude as Moscow and Hudson Bay (??) in Canada. So basically it should be v.v.cold but it's the warm air from the gulf stream that keeps it warm. However, as Global Warming (Caused by C02 emissions......) melts the ice caps the resultant water could push the Gulf Stream further away so the heat might not reach us any more. Thus far, far colder winters.

^If any of the above info is wrong, blame my geography teacher or me for not listening properly, whichever.

But I had no idea that the Gulf Stream could affect countries such as Sweden (we didn't study it in any detail, it was just we were doing about the past British climate changes millions of years ago and it was mentioned for how Global Warming could affect us in the future......I think). I didn't realise it went over that far. Learn something new every day. :)

I think what you are saying makes sense, i've heard something similar. And it's scary to think about.

The Gulf Stream actually affects the scandinavian countries quite a lot, just compare the climate here with that of similar latitudes. My town is on the same latitude (as a rough search in my not so good atlas says) as Archangelsk, Russia, and Fairbanks, Alaska. And as I said, the temperature rarely goes under -25C.
I think Scandinavia is the only place where people can live comfortably north of the polar circle. I had midnight sun in my bedroom as a kid, and that was quite cool.
The Gulf Stream is also the reason why Norweigian seaports can be used all year round as far to the north as Narvik. Colder climates would mean lots of problems for iron industries in Sweden who depends on shipping from Narvik.

sorry this is kinda off topic, but in california, did you guys read about how hybrid cars can go in the carpool lane solo but they need to place four really really huge bright yellow stickers on their cars? some owners are complaining cuz the stickers ruin their car and they look dumb, but i think it's cool that california recognizes how hybrid cars are environment friendly and could help with the gas guzzling.
it's $2.79 a gallon here!! please don't get to $3.00!! =(

I thought this article might be relevant here...

Alberta is about to get wildly rich and powerful

"The oil sands give Canada one of the single greatest advantages of any state in the Western world," says Paul Chastko, a University of Calgary historian who recently published a book called Developing Alberta's Oil Sands. "It gives Canada the ability to supply all of North America for the next 50 years without touching a drop of imported oil." It is, in short, an economic engine and political lever that any nation would desperately love to have.

Back
Top Bottom