Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If you lived in my city, you'd have to have a car. There is no public transportation.
Maybe not. We have public transportation (buses, no trains which is rediculous w/ a metro area w/ over 1 million) and I've never had to use it. In high school, I worked out my own car pools and paid neighborhood kids for rides. In college, I purposely found a place to rent within 15 minutes walking distance from work, also I chose a more family type neighborhood where I felt safe walking farther distances (it takes me an hour to walk to the grocery store and/or bank and back).

The thing with people having this need for cars is that it seems to start early, like in high school. Most kids at my school and a lot of my friends had this attitude that they were entitled to their own car once they got a lisence. They were all well off so their parents would buy them cars. My parents have only ever own one vehicle at a time so I never had access to a car and I never felt like it was my place to assume that I did. For school and sports, I arranged my own rides. For going out, I would pay gas money.

I actually do have a car right now b/c my boyfriend recently took over paying for his mom's car, but then he got a seizure disorder so now I drive him around. I don't really feel any attachment to this car and unless it's raining or deathly hot out, otherwise I still prefer to walk. Having to make car payments, insurance payments, and gas payments just to save me 5-10 minutes is rediculous.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Quote:
You know what makes it worse in my city? My city voted to pay for a new NFL stadium, and yet have voted down public transportation no less than 3 times. We are the biggest US city that doesn't have public transportation.
Don't you live in the D/FW area? They have some public transportation, it sucks, but they do have some. Have they voted to stop expanding it?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Don't you live in the D/FW area? They have some public transportation, it sucks, but they do have some. Have they voted to stop expanding it?
Arlington has none. 350,000 people and no public transportation.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 PM
How many America cities have a Metro/subway and or light rail type system as a matter of interest?

NY & San Fran I know do but do any others?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Arlington has none. 350,000 people and no public transportation.
Don't take this personally but if you vote Republican what do you expect.....
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Don't take this personally but if you vote Republican what do you expect.....
Dude, every member of my family is Republican. And all three of us whom I know how they voted voted in favor of public transportation.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
How many America cities have a Metro/subway and or light rail type system as a matter of interest?

NY & San Fran I know do but do any others?
Washington DC, Chicago, SEPTA (Philly), Harris County (Houston), Miami-Dade....

I use the South Shore Line a LOT which runs from South Bend, Indiana to Randolph St. in Chicago. In Michigan, we also have Amway that goes down to Chicago and up to Toronto and lots of other places, but it's more of a "trip" kind of thing and can get really expensive.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Dude, every member of my family is Republican. And all three of us whom I know how they voted voted in favor of public transportation.
Ok so they actually polled the electorate. I was assuming it was just a poll of elected politicians or something like that.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I use the South Shore Line a LOT which runs from South Bend, Indiana to Randolph St. in Chicago.

also Portland, OR, which is a very green city and very friendly to bicycles; believe it or not, there's some in L.A. as well; Baltimore has light rail, so does Atlanta.

the problem with most of these cities is that, NYC and Boston and DC aside, the light rail is essentially designed not for commuters but for tourists.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I use the South Shore Line a LOT which runs from South Bend, Indiana to Randolph St. in Chicago. In Michigan, we also have Amway that goes down to Chicago and up to Toronto and lots of other places, but it's more of a "trip" kind of thing and can get really expensive.
Thanks. Yeah I knew about Amway. I would like to do that trip some day.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Ok so they actually polled the electorate. I was assuming it was just a poll of elected politicians or something like that.
It would have raised our sales tax rate, so they pretty much had to let us vote.

3 times this city voted no.

3 TIMES.

AARGH.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Oil is treated like the stock market, so people can buy or sell "futures" without ever having to buy oil. Even you, if you wanted to, could "buy" crude oil and then once the prices got higher, "sell" it and reap in the profits.

There are lots of people making a shit load of money off of oil right now at our expense.

Melon
Derivatives have little to do with oil itself. Good ol' supply and demand drive the actual oil prices.

However, the use of these financial tools actual stabalize prices on a world wide basis.

People do make a shitload of money, and people lose a shitload of money.

Our days of cheap gas are long gone.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

also Portland, OR, which is a very green city and very friendly to bicycles; believe it or not, there's some in L.A. as well; Baltimore has light rail, so does Atlanta.

the problem with most of these cities is that, NYC and Boston and DC aside, the light rail is essentially designed not for commuters but for tourists.
yeah, we live outside of the city and there's absolutely nothing. my friend and I walked to the video store one day, and it was a harrowing experience..we nearly got run over everytime a car passed (usually going 60+). there aren't even sidewalks! my mom works in the city and she has to drive. not to mention anyone who thinks they can walk or ride a bike to places like the bank, grocery store, or mall around here clearly has a death wish.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Derivatives have little to do with oil itself. Good ol' supply and demand drive the actual oil prices.
Frankly, I don't buy it. Gas prices consistenly go higher over highly irrational events, like over the death of King Fahd, whose successor was the one who was actually ruling over Saudi Arabia over the last ten years!

That tends to show evidence of speculation over actual supply and demand. The oil industry is currently raking in record profits.

Melon
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Oil is treated like the stock market, so people can buy or sell "futures" without ever having to buy oil. Even you, if you wanted to, could "buy" crude oil and then once the prices got higher, "sell" it and reap in the profits.

There are lots of people making a shit load of money off of oil right now at our expense.

Melon
Thanks for the explanation.