Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 12:15 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:12 PM
$3.92 is the highest at the moment in MI.

The gas station by my house was $3.05 when I passed it on the way to work today. I shudder to think what it's up to now.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What really gets me is that there is no shortage of oil. It is speculators that are driving the cost of it up. Even worse are the gas stations that jack up the prices on gas already paid for and in the ground.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Like I said in another thread, it's time for me to get my old Strawberry Shortcake four wheeler out of my mom's garage.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
What really gets me is that there is no shortage of oil. It is speculators that are driving the cost of it up. Even worse are the gas stations that jack up the prices on gas already paid for and in the ground.
Steve Forbes said a few days ago that he thought the price per barrel would be back down to $30 within a year.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #140
War Child

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Steve Forbes said a few days ago that he thought the price per barrel would be back down to $30 within a year.
he must have the inside scoop on an impending breakthrough in anti-persperant/deodorant technology.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #141
New Yorker

I think I heard that it would take ten days for the gas companies to see the effect of lack of oil on prices. And yet, gas was $2.80 on Monday and $3.20 on Tuesday. In Bloomington, Indiana! I'm not living in NYC anymore, people. I'm living in the Midwest. It costs less for a pitcher of beer here than a glass in NYC and I'm still paying $3.20? These are the days when I miss my subway pass that cost me $72 a month.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Our railroads are jammed with freight. That's one of the reasons Amtrak sucks so completely as a reliable mode of transportation: freight trains, not passenger trains, rule the rails.

Plus, all those trains are burning diesel fuel.

If the USA wants to change it's oil consumption it will need one of two things to happen. One involves a major cultural shift, the other involves a major technological breakthrough. But they both center around the same thing. It is THE ISSUE in U.S. oil consumption. Ready?

Body Odor.

Yeah. People in the U.S. are not cool with being stinky. And if you walk, run, or ride a bike, you will get stinky. Trust me, I've tried. I've tried riding my bike to work (5 miles each way). It makes me stink. I regularly run to the grocery store (only half a mile each way), and it makes me stink. I decided to go all out a few months ago and save some gas by running 12 miles to have dinner at someone's house. Thankfully they let me shower on arrival, otherwise NO ONE would have had an appetite. But if you don't want to stink, you're stuck driving a car (or using some petroleum-burning form of transportation).

So if I am going to regularly use self-propelled transportation for things within 5 miles of my house (something I would be more than happy to do), one of two things needs to happen:

1. We need to become more accepting of sweatiness and body odor (I'm all in favor of this one)
or
2. We need a major breakthrough in anti-persperant/deodorant technology.

Until this happens, I'm stuck riding my 1972 Honda SL100 (about 75 miles to the gallon).
Well... many people around here smell bad anyway. And they still drive these freekin' big assed trucks and SUV's. One or the other people! One or the other!!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

With the damage from Katrina and New Orleans being obviously impassable, there were all sorts of rumors about gasoline not being able to get into GA, and the prices went straight up. It's just price gauging. Luckily the Governor froze the prices for now...Still there are lines out into the streets at the pump, and everyone's in a panic.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

I like how people (in general) are panicking over getting gas and not the fact that hundreds of people just died and thousands more are left homeless.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah...that's just the way it is, I guess. The night before Katrina, my dad says, "I'm really sorry for all the people over there, but I'm going out and filling up the car."

Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #146
Refugee

at this whole thread
Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I like how people (in general) are panicking over getting gas and not the fact that hundreds of people just died and thousands more are left homeless.

Believe me, I'm counting my lucky stars that I'm paying $3.15 for gas when I could very well be floating down a street near my damaged house looking for my family and pets.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

Price gouging. The oil compainies are making the most out of the situation. While thousands are left with nothing, oil company profits will go even higher. Good times.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Well... many people around here smell bad anyway. And they still drive these freekin' big assed trucks and SUV's. One or the other people! One or the other!!
Everyone who has a car that gets less than 15 miles per gallon should be forced to serve 3 months in Iraq.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #150
War Child

Local Time: 09:12 PM
3.93 in Grand Island. up 1.30 over 36 hours.

I like how the price of a barell of gas goes up in the morning(stockmarket) and we see the result at the pumps by noon. Thats stupid we are not seeing that gas for a few weeks why does the price jump suddenly. Someones getting richer, and I dont think its me.