Gas prices suck... where is cold fusion when we need it? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it when Americans whine about fuel prices. I don't drive a car and the conversion between gallons and litres and Australian and US dollars is too much for me to be bothered doing in my head right now, but I am under the distinct impression our petrol is a whole lot more expensive than yours.

Enjoy your cheap petrol.

Actually, because I'm so worried about being right, I did the conversion.

Current fuel prices in southeast Queensland are in the AUS$0.90s a litre. Let's use AUS$0.95 for the sake of my calculations.

1 US gallon is approximately 3.785 litres.

AUS$0.95 x 3.785 = 3.59575

A gallon of petrol currently costs AUS$3.59575.

Now using xe.com to convert that to US dollars, we find that with an exchange rate of barely a shade over AUS$1 = US$0.79, the price is approximately US$2.84 a gallon.

So yeah, enjoy your cheap petrol.

Last edited:
It will get worse.

World-wide demand is going up (China) and exploration for new sources is going down.

Simple math at that point.

Flying FuManchu said:
Jeez... it's gonna be worse then last year and the public is now accepting of current prices... AMAZING!

I live in the south (TN) and $1.89 -$2.01 for regular and $2.10. - $2.20 for the expensive stuff.... Damn automakers...

We STILL have pretty close to the cheapest gas in the world.

Trade in your SUV and get a practical vehicle, oh wait, that's right, you'll miss out on all those off-road adventures you use it for.........

From the sounds of things, it can only get worse... $60-$70 a barrel this year (maybe)!!!

Axver... I also understand that Asia, Europe, and Australia have had to pay more but I'm a whiney American and high gas prices are still new to me. I mean American gas prices don't compare to Europe obviously. American poverty doesn't compare to African/ Third World poverty, etc... what can I say? Standards are low for us Americans! :madspit:

Honestly, if we Americans feel gas prices are killer, then you Australians can't be to far behind in the griping can you be?

Re: Re: Gas prices suck... where is cold fusion when we need it? :(

cardosino said:

We STILL have pretty close to the cheapest gas in the world.

Trade in your SUV and get a practical vehicle, oh wait, that's right, you'll miss out on all those off-road adventures you use it for.........

LOL... Wow, talk about talking in generalities or stereotypes....

By the way, I love SUVs and wish I owned one, but if I did, I would be so in the hole these days, it wouldn't be funny. :(

US auto manufacturers... :madspit:

Last edited:
i invented cold fusion but im keeping it to myself. when all the oil in the world has depleted, ill start my own taxi company with cold fusion taxis and capitalize in the transportation market.

hahaha. take that, shell! :madspit:
:wink:

Axver said:
I love it when Americans whine about fuel prices. I don't drive a car and the conversion between gallons and litres and Australian and US dollars is too much for me to be bothered doing in my head right now, but I am under the distinct impression our petrol is a whole lot more expensive than yours.

Enjoy your cheap petrol.

Yeah well said, petrol is incredibly cheap in America compared to almost everywhere else, here it is about the equivalent of $6 per gallon.

I'm sure the price of oil will go down once Bush is out of office.

The price of oil is determined solely by market hysteria. I say we institute laws that would remove speculation from the oil market; that is, when you "buy" oil, you should be forced to drive your truck and physically pick up the oil. No refunds. As it stands, it's artificially driven up by speculators who buy and sell it as if it were a corporation share.

If people want a piece of the "oil action," they can invest in the oil company (Shell, ExxonMobil, etc.).

Melon

When petroleum prices become too untenable then it will become more economical to have fusion ~ regular not cold.

I'm so happy I have a tiny, fuel efficient car.

Plus I love watching people with Hummers cry. :evil:

nbcrusader is right, long term and medium term gas prices will keep rising, it's nothing to do with Bush or anyone else it's simple supply and demand

indra said:
I'm so happy I have a tiny, fuel efficient car.

Plus I love watching people with Hummers cry. :evil:

No vehicle cries out "I'm an asshole" quite like a Hummer does

This is ridiculous, the gov't should release its emergency store and bring prices down. This never lasted long in the past (except during the last 2 years of Jimmy Carter's reign) because the truckers would strike, saying if their gas goes up EVERYTHING will go up. Sadly, it didn't work this time.

financeguy said:

Yeah well said, petrol is incredibly cheap in America compared to almost everywhere else, here it is about the equivalent of $6 per gallon.

Damn that's cheap, here it's $6.56 per gallon today!! :wink:

Flying FuManchu said:
From the sounds of things, it can only get worse... $60-$70 a barrel this year (maybe)!!!

I'm not as smart as Axver but I know Sydney has more expensive petrol. I drive a medium sized car (RIP XR8 :sad: ) and tonight filled up at $1.08 for regular unleaded. I had only 70kms left in the tank which took it to about $55 for filling. Almost the cost of a barrel.

Yet...Europe has it far worse. I used to think it was the narrow roads which prevented Europeans from driving massive Holden/Ford type cars, but it's the petrol methinks.

:hmm:

Angela Harlem said:

I'm not as smart as Axver but I know Sydney has more expensive petrol. I drive a medium sized car (RIP XR8 :sad: ) and tonight filled up at $1.08 for regular unleaded. I had only 70kms left in the tank which took it to about $55 for filling. Almost the cost of a barrel.

Wow, it's $1.08 a litre down there in Sydney? Maybe that $0.08 a litre discount the government does up here actually DOES exist! I'm pretty sure we're still hanging around the nineties - I was out a few days ago and I saw $0.99 a litre, but my mother had filled the tank for $0.92 the previous day.

And yet Americans still whine about their 'expensive' petrol. :rolleyes: I wish it were that cheap down here, just to save my mother a little bit of money.

Yeah, it's called Medicare. I'd rather Medicare than cheaper petrol :wink:

Axver we're only marginally more expensive with petrol. It has been just under the dollar mark for quite a while, but we seem to have this 20 cent fluctuation between $0.90(ish) - $1.10(ish).

I think this is great stuff :up:

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/index.php?news=2445

The Ford escape Hybrid is the truck of the year 2005 right ?

Ford-Escape-Hybrid.jpg

Once you adjust for inflation, gasoline prices aren't much worse today than they were in the 80s, I think.

Some guy on the web keeps a monthly chart of gas prices versus inflation, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Edit: Here's a chart. Gas today is a bit more expensive than it's been historically, but definitely not as bad as it was in the late 1970s-early 1980s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom