Gas Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
I paid $2.25 a gallon last night.

Will someone remind me again how going to war with Iraq was all about gaining oil supply for the USA.

No blood for oil?

should be...

No arm and a leg for oil.

Going to Iraq for oil was just a rehash of the anti-war refrain from Gulf War 1.

Oil (and gas) prices have more to do with China's growing appetite (and our lack of drilling) than Iraq.

nbcrusader said:
Going to Iraq for oil was just a rehash of the anti-war refrain from Gulf War 1.

Oil (and gas) prices have more to do with China's growing appetite (and our lack of drilling) than Iraq.
Pardon me,...your country is still the most oil consuming country in the world.

Rono-

Simply because the US "by far" consumes more oil than any other country does not negate the fact that China's oil consumption is increasing and is having an effect on oil prices world wide.

This is scary. The price of everything has gone up seemingly 10-20% in the last 10 years, yet the minimum wage remains constant at $5.15 per hour.

Danospano-

In the last 10 years the minimum wage has increased from $4.25 to $5.15.

That's an increase of 21%.

MaxFisher said:

Will someone remind me again how going to war with Iraq was all about gaining oil supply for the USA.

it was more of an attempt to control the oil that will be pumping out of central asia in the coming years that will be needed by up and coming rivals - china and the eu.

regardless, gas prices do suck. and so does the minimum wage.

edit: i just did a quick calculation, this may not be 100% accurate because individuals' income tax situations could vary.

if one unmarried individual worked 40 hours a week, 5 days a week, 52 weeksa year at a wage of $5.15 per hour s/he would walk away with appx. $9471 after taxes, roughly $1000 above the poverty line. this is working 261 days out of the year, only taking weekends off.

Last edited:
MaxFisher said:
Danospano-

In the last 10 years the minimum wage has increased from $4.25 to $5.15.

That's an increase of 21%.

Plus the minimum wage stayed at $3.35 for most of my life, so it has a long way to go before it's even remotely close to a living wage.

India and China are quickly growing as world powers and they are industrializing at a fast rate. Thus, they have more cars and consume more oil. There are also many other countries that are just developing the automotive industry and are using more gasoline. Although I am a very large opponent of how this war is being handled, high oil prices really aren't a result of this war.

If you don't like the gas prices, walk/bike/run/carpool/take the bus/etc. Sure, it sounds inconvenient, but once you're used to doing it, it really doesn't matter.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If you don't like the gas prices, walk/bike/run/carpool/take the bus/etc. Sure, it sounds inconvenient, but once you're used to doing it, it really doesn't matter.

:up:

my car was demolished 2 weeks ago whilst parked on the street at 4am. i haven't driven since, and i'm better for it.

seems like a great opportunity for Americans to drive less, walk more, ride their bikes, purchase a Prius, ostracize those who drive Hummers, pressure their politicans to invest in alternative energy sources (*not* ANWAR), and make better decisions about their overall lifestyle choices.

i'm not sorry one bit for people who have to pay more at the pump. all those people in the exurbs who drive their monstrous SUVs down monstrous roads ... sorry, you made your bed, you wanted that big-assed house, now you've got to pay for it.

while were at it, i'm a fan of a gas tax. if we can tax cigarettes and alcohol, why not tax something that pollutes our air and makes us fat?

MaxFisher said:
I paid $2.25 a gallon last night.

No blood for oil?

should be...

No arm and a leg for oil.

This is ridiculous. More people need to be upset instead of taking it in stride. If we take it they will never stop. I agree, with our army in the middle east prices should be going down~!

Not everyone lives or works in a place where that is realistic. We don't all live along bus lines, or where we can bike or walk where we need to go. I live on a country road, 5 miles from the nearest bus line, and the bus does not go anywhere near my destination. I know no one who goes my way. I commute an hour and a half each way every day. Not everyone can just walk down to the corner market. If it's that bad for me, imagine the people out west where it might be 50 miles to town, it's much worse.

Something has to be done about prices for people like me, as well as the truckers, which run all prices up down the line as their goods must increase to pay for the gas.

Last edited:
"Yeah...why are gas prices so fucking high" - Says the person at the gas station filling up his/her monstrous SUV which gets 10 mpg.

Oil should be removed from the global commodities market to prevent speculators from driving prices up. As is, they can buy and sell into the market with no intention of actually "buying" oil. Instead, oil should be bought and people should be forced to literally pick it up with their tankers and ship it to be used. No refunds.

But since I don't expect that to happen, the first most practical thing that can be done is for Bush to release some of the Strategic Oil Reserves and temporarily stop buying oil to fill them. It's most a psychological method of driving prices down, as speculators start selling on news like that. It works, too. Not surprisingly, the last time Bush released something from the reserves was one week before Election Day in 2004. What an asshole.

As for a long term solution, I commented on this here.

Melon

Last edited:
The Sneak said:

Not everyone lives or works in a place where that is realistic. We don't all live along bus lines, or where we can bike or walk where we need to go. I live on a country road, 5 miles from the nearest bus line, and the bus does not go anywhere near my destination. I know no one who goes my way. I commute an hour and a half each way every day. Not everyone can just walk down to the corner market. If it's that bad for me, imagine the people out west where it might be 50 miles to town, it's much worse.

Something has to be done about prices for people like me, as well as the truckers, which run all prices up down the line as their goods must increase to pay for the gas.

i'm sympathetic in some ways, but i also want to say: so what? deal with it. no tax is perfect, and big agricultural states are overrepresented in the Senate — so Congress already pampers the rural. most of those mostrous states with huge distances have a vastly lower cost of living than do people who live in metropolitian areas, as well as the fact that East Coast urbanites don't get hand-outs in the form of farm subsidies. we all make sacrafices to help out, and this seems to be to be such a no-brainer. low taxes on gas in this country are such a bad idea in so many different ways, and raising the tax on gas would be an almost gobsmackingly easy way to ease the budget deficit, increase our fuel efficiency, wean us a little off Middle East petroleum and generally help the U.S. economically and in foreign policy.

melon said:
But since I don't expect that to happen, the first most practical thing that can be done is for Bush to release some of the Strategic Oil Reserves and temporarily stop buying oil to fill them. It's most a psychological method of driving prices down, as speculators start selling on news like that. It works, too.

Melon

In my lifetime, I've seen this happen several times and it always works. I am infuriated that no one does this now. Even the most ardent Bush supporters I know blame him for this :down:

Few people get rich off of farm subsidies, unless you're a large corporate farm. The subsidies are there, because grain prices are at 1960s prices, in real terms. In other words, I'm not even adjusting for inflation. Remove the subsidies and watch American farming go out of business completely. That's not good for national security by any step of the imagination, IMO.

Let's face it, folks. We're not going to see any serious approach to alternative fuel while we have the oil idiot in office. Dubya was the one quoted in 1998 saying that we needed to drive oil prices higher. Looks like he got his wish, so why would he actively do anything to make them lower?

Melon

U2Kitten said:
In my lifetime, I've seen this happen several times and it always works. I am infuriated that no one does this now. Even the most ardent Bush supporters I know blame him for this :down:

I hope you all register your disgust in the 2006 midterm elections and vote Democratic. It's the only way the GOP will ever get it.

Melon

melon said:
Let's face it, folks. We're not going to see any serious approach to alternative fuel while we have the oil idiot in office.

When have we ever been "serious" about alternative fuels?

It has little to do with our chief executive.

nbcrusader said:

you're right, it has everything to do with the immense political power oil companies wield over congress.

still, could there be anyone *worse* than Bush/Cheney? do you really think a democrat would do something as unabashedly stupid and callous as drill in ANWAR?

nbcrusader said:

It's not completely his fault, but if Bush put as much energy into forcing the issue as he had done with wealthy tax cuts and now Social Security "reform," it would, at least, get to debate.

But we all know that's not where his priorities lie. He has more important things to do, like encouraging anti-gay amendments, sign emergency feeding tube bills, appoint extremist judges, and make speeches in several states' Chamber of Commerce for video clip sources.

Melon

Irvine511 said:

i'm sympathetic in some ways, but i also want to say: so what? deal with it.

Exactly. My aunt complains constantly about how far her commute is and how much gas costs.....well, the point is SHE chose to move way out to suburbia and SHE chose to drive a Jeep Cherokee.

Once you deal w/ not having a gas-guzzling vehicle constantly at your disposal, you will get over it. I've never owned a car and I've had plenty of opportunity to get one. If I got one now, I don't even know what I'd do with it. Sure, not having a car HAS placed limitations on where I can live and where I can work, but it's not that big of a deal.

The cost of shipping goods goes up and unfortunately the prices of those goods goes up which sucks. Its not just about having to pay money for gas to get around for my own transportation. Manufacturers get squeezed, retailers get squeezed... it sucks. I'm surprised there is no uproar or major complaining considering. I figure gas prices have to be part of the reason why Bush's poll numbers are sinking.

Exactly. My aunt complains constantly about how far her commute is and how much gas costs.....well, the point is SHE chose to move way out to suburbia and SHE chose to drive a Jeep Cherokee.

Once you deal w/ not having a gas-guzzling vehicle constantly at your disposal, you will get over it. I've never owned a car and I've had plenty of opportunity to get one. If I got one now, I don't even know what I'd do with it. Sure, not having a car HAS placed limitations on where I can live and where I can work, but it's not that big of a deal.

Not everyone in the US owns a gas guzzling SUV as generalized by some people.

Unfortunately... cars can be a necessity in life. Some people have to work and drive around b/c of a variety of reasons from family, work, their job, etc. Cars aren't just a unnecessary convenience. The attitude of "so what" to a person's sharing of the difficulties (as small as they seem) sort of suck. Wow. I find it funny that people who are getting by deserve a "so what" to their problems but we need to care for the poor and huddled masses of drug users, vagrants, etc... I can see why some people get pissed off and become insensitive to the poor, etc.

I live in Memphis, where the city/ community is basically an urban sprawl. There is no subway nor a decent bus system alah Chicago or New York City. I am sure there are similar places around the United Sates as well. High gas prices as a result suck for someone who lives in this type of area. Some people don't have the luxury/ money to move to more "developed" places especially if you're supporting a family. So when people say, "So what. Deal with it." I'm sure it irks people. It would irritate me quite much. Gas prices still suck.

What bugs me is that the US auto manufacturers decided that SUV market was the way to go yet ignore the possibility profiting from hybrids. Why is that. Hasn't the technology come far enough that the hybrid market could be huge. Lord knows US auto manufacturers need help being profitable.

Flying FuManchu said:

I live in Memphis, where the city/ community is basically an urban sprawl. There is no subway nor a decent bus system alah Chicago or New York City. I am sure there are similar places around the United Sates as well. High gas prices as a result suck for someone who lives in this type of area. Some people don't have the luxury/ money to move to more "developed" places especially if you're supporting a family. So when people say, "So what. Deal with it." I'm sure it irks people. It would irritate me quite much. Gas prices still suck.

petition your local goverments for better mass transit options. if the demand were there, if people were forced to find options behind their cars, they'd certainly find a way. most of the reason for urban sprawl is the omnipresence of the automobile. i also see nothing wrong with a little pressure to get people to find alternative means of transportation via a tax, or even to start carpooling or drive more fuel efficient cars.

Back
Top Bottom