Gas Prices - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Edge said sometimes around the mid-90's that he would not want to live near a nuclear power plant, it wouild freak him out, he;d be worried about he or his kids getting cancer. The fact of the matter is, read Flanagan's book..evedn int he days hewre there was just one Sellafield Plant, familes living aorund it had a very high rate of cancer. Some of the residents even slapped the faces of the band memebers and burst into tears talking to them. Soon after ZOo TV< BOno was criicized for building an expensive swimming pool in front of his beachfront property. Well, I would too, if I could afford it, b/c I wouldn't want my kids swimming in the polluted Irish Sea.
For every Sellafield and Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, there are hundreds and thousands of perfectly safe nuclear plants that we never hear about. We're probably more likely to get cancer from the crap blasted into the atmosphere from coal burning plants. On a clear day, the sky here has an orange hue from the sulfur emissions. Who knows what crap is up there that we can't see.

As I've stated before, though, I believe that modern nuclear technology is much safer. It doesn't require cooling towers, and I don't even think it requires being near a body of water anymore.

Generally speaking, older and generally unsafe nuclear plants should certainly be shut down and decommissioned.

Melon

Old 04-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So you're going to build the hundred's of the nuclear power plants needed to replace/substain the current oil need, where exactly?
Do you want to buy a house and suddenly find out there is a nuclear power plant being built in your back yard, for the next 5 to 10 years? Not to mention the earthquake fault lines, tornado and hurricane alley in the Midwest and South and the uproar of building several plants on the east coast where there are also potential earthquake faults.
Geez we even had a small earthquake here in the south last year.
In order to build the number of plants in the next 10 years, which is what I read somewhere, it takes to bring ONE nuclear power plant online from the ground up, there would have to be almost 2 in every state of the nation? But hundreds being built at one time. 911 looks pretty tame now. There are to many people that hate us that also have our knowledge, to set ourselves up for this potential.
It's not going to happen.
I've read most of this thread and the RS article and other articles and God only knows, I don't have any answer's.
I just know there are many intelligent minds out there, including your's melon, that have answer's if the administration is interested. Which it isn't. They don't even acknowledge it as a problem.
"Don't tell the masses, they think we are keeping them safe" they'll vote for anything ....
Ok, never mind I'm not going there anymore.
Just hope someone listen's before...
Sorry!! Times up.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
So you're going to build the hundred's of the nuclear power plants needed to replace/substain the current oil need, where exactly?
Where are current power plants built? In someone's backyard?

Quote:
Do you want to buy a house and suddenly find out there is a nuclear power plant being built in your back yard, for the next 5 to 10 years?
Do you buy a house and suddenly find out there is a factory being built in your backyard for the next 5 to 10 years? That's what zoning laws are for.

Quote:
Not to mention the earthquake fault lines, tornado and hurricane alley in the Midwest and South and the uproar of building several plants on the east coast where there are also potential earthquake faults.
I tend to think this problem has already been addressed. We have existing nuclear plants all across the nation, and we've had earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. since the dawn of time.

Quote:
Geez we even had an small earthquake here in the south last year. In order to build the number of plants in the next 10 years, which is what I read somewhere, it takes to bring ONE nuclear plant online from the ground up, there would have to be almost 2 in every state of the nation? But hundreds being built at one time. 911 looks pretty tame now.
It's not going to happen.
Two per state? Sounds reasonable. 100 plants for 50 states doesn't sound that bad, although we could probably even discount small states or island states like Rhode Island and Hawaii.

And I'm not quite sure where your "9/11" comment falls into place, except I bet you're bringing up that specter of "terrorism." Oil is running out, whether we like it or not. It isn't as if ignoring the problem is going to make it go away.

Security, obviously, is important and should be seriously studied before building these plants (and I'm pretty sure we've already studied security needs for our existing nuclear plants), but why would terrorists need to get nuclear material from the U.S.? Russia is like an unlocked treasure chest.

Quote:
I just know there are many intelligent minds out there, including your's melon, that have answer's if the administration is interested. Which it isn't. They don't even acknowledge it as a problem.
You're right. They don't acknowledge it as a problem, but it's our fault for electing these idiots time and time again. The 2006 election is around the corner, and, hopefully, enough people can demand that they pay attention to energy to affect change.

At least, that's what I hope to accomplish.

Melon
Old 04-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 PM
My city, Birmingham, Alabama, has terrible mass transit. I live in the city, close to work, the university, everything. The art studio I work in is in the suburbs, in what used to be a filling station, ironically enough. My car is a compact. I manage OK, I don't have any big time complaints about gas.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 PM
I agree with everything here, except one thing: Melon, people don't care a smuch about factories as they would about a plant because in their mind, factories by comparison don't produce anything harmful. Just the noraml amount of pollutants. And people are SO lazy aobut things like dying after 30 yrs from normal pollution. Aren't they? But if people didn't care so much about factories, why after WWII was there such a huge mass flight to get away from them? Factories were in the city, and people wanted to be in a semi-rural environment where ugly city buildings were out of sight, out of mind. The factory was somwhere where you made money but then went home to your nice little tree-lined suburban lot at the end of the day, and on the weekend. PLus, it will take a huge education campaign to convince people that nuclear material isn't dangerous.

There are all sorts of little nagging "aesthetic" issues that would make your typical suburbanite (in addition to the fears of radiation) not tolerate a plant nearby. IN the end, they'll want it in the places where the poor shmucks live.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
There are all sorts of little nagging "aesthetic" issues that would make your typical suburbanite (in addition to the fears of radiation) not tolerate a plant nearby. IN the end, they'll want it in the places where the poor shmucks live.
Power plants are already built where the "poor shmucks" live. Why do we all of a sudden think that nuclear plants will be built in the high rent district? We have zoning laws for a reason. Period.

I think this is the last thing people need to be worried about.

Melon
Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

In VA, both of our nuclear power plants (Surry and North Anna) were built in sparsely populated rural areas, not towns. I have cousins who live about 20 miles from North Anna, and they say they worry more about the dam bursting and flooding the town in minutes more than a nuclear leak.

Back on topic, I have noticed on the roads I travel that gas has dropped between 2 and 8 cents per gallon at the stations I pass since the weekend!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:00 AM
it cost me $37 to fill up my tank yesterday, and I have a Grand Am
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #114
War Child

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
it cost me $37 to fill up my tank yesterday, and I have a Grand Am
I don't know what a "Grand Am" is and also didn't bother to google it, but if it's truly Grand (high fuel usage) and American (even higher fuel usage), $37 really isn't that much for a full tank...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

LOL.

A Grand Am is actually one of the smaller American cars.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:00 AM
thanks anitram

yes it is small (2-door) and gets 33mpg. I could see where the confusion with the name could come from though
Old 04-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #117
New Yorker

LOL at the Grand Am assumption. I support the melon push for nuclear power... sounds reasonable but I would have to domore research.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #118
Refugee

This is my first and last anti-American rant on these pages. But if there's one thing that really pisses me off then it's Americans complaining about the price of gas.

I'm British and today I filled up my car at 86.9pence/litre. I calculate (based on US$1.90 exchange rate) that this equates roughly to $6.25 per US Gallon!

So why is the oil rising?

- Market speculators? No, speculators can only influence prices over the short term so this isn't a huge factor over the last couple of years.

- Iraq war? Well no because for years their contribution to global output was miniscule.

- Increased Global Demand? Yes actually. Given comparable levels of supply the primary law of economics means that price of anything increases if demand increases. Given that global output of oil has remained very close or at maximum capacity then demand HAS increased. Yes by Americans and everyone else in part, but largely down the Chinese and the Indians.

And the reason for the Iraq War?...easy... to control the supply of oil in the long term for when the existing suppliers run dry. It's not a bad strategy to have first shout of oil when it becomes really scarce.

And the real kicker? When the world runs dry America can start to pump it's own supplies in anger.

So I don't want any Americans crying about how much it's costing them to fill up. You're getting a fucking bargin!

Apologies for the rant...I actually do like you yanks. But I just don't get your fury at gas prices!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #119
New Yorker

I complain b/c there is a noticeable problem. My cousin who recently moved here from a nation with higher gas prices and after settling in started complaining about US gas prices. Why? Relative to the her surroundings in which there is urban sprawl and the amount of driving Americans generally have to do, gas prices are pain in the ass. People in Britain may not have to drive as much or they may have a rail.

Also, gas prices can't just be going up in the US alone. Do Europeans, Asians, etc. love higher prices from the already higher prices they have now?

What about trucking companies? When a truck driver who's livlihood is dependent on gas to a degree complains about high gas prices b/c it takes away money that could be used to support his family, are you cold heartless Interferencers going to say tough shit to his or her face?

I guess so.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes but I think the point is gas is relatively under-taxed in the US and hence gas prices are relatively low, well at least compared with prices in Europe. Point taken as regards Americans having to drive longer distances.