Gas Prices - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:51 PM

I could post one of my "Should U2 fans be allowed to drive SUVs?" questions, but I won't for fear of reprimand.

~U2Alabama

Old 04-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:21 AM
That's funny because on Amazing Race tonight they had to drive their SUV through rough terrain and water. One of the contestants commented on how great the vehicle was for driving through mud, sand, water and then said "hey, people have these in LA" and the other guy said "Why would you want one of these in LA?"

Hilarious!

Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:51 PM

Funny you should mention that; every time I've been in the LA area, I've been in an SUV, either one that I've rented or someone else's that I was riding in. Maybe some people in LA see them as practical for their personal use just as people do in other areas. I wouldn't want one in NY though, and when I've gone to New Orleans, I've kept it parked in the hotel deck and walked or gotten a cab everywhere.

~U2Alabama
Old 04-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #79
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Speaking of SUV's doesn't Bono go to his concerts in an Escalade?

Melon, when I am president you will be my Energy Czar
Old 04-06-2005, 07:12 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman
as long as this war will go on there can be only fucking high prices. iit's all because of the iraq war
I don't know why, with our army over there you'd think they could just kick ass and take over all the oil wells and we could own them and gas would go down to 50 cents a gallon
Old 04-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Speaking of SUV's doesn't Bono go to his concerts in an Escalade?

It's some kind of big black SUV. And think of all the fuel the plane is using But they're rich and they can afford it. If they don't use it someone else will.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Melon, when I am president you will be my Energy Czar
Not if I become President first.

But I do see it as a bipartisan effort. I'd do it.

Melon
Old 04-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

It's some kind of big black SUV. And think of all the fuel the plane is using But they're rich and they can afford it. If they don't use it someone else will.
It is a black Yukon XL. The rest of the band arrives in separate Lincoln Towncars.

Can't they all fit into a Prius?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It is a black Yukon XL. The rest of the band arrives in separate Lincoln Towncars.

Can't they all fit into a Prius?
You bring up a good and unintended point. Ideologically speaking, "hybrid vehicles" are purposely often ugly, more expensive, and different than regular cars. The "sports cars" are often the most fuel inefficient, even though who needs to go 250 mph? Try doing that on the interstate and see how quickly you get arrested or killed.

The technology exists to make SUV hybrid vehicles, as well. Some do exist, albeit in a small "prototype" quantity.

Melon
Old 04-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

The "sports cars" are often the most fuel inefficient, even though who needs to go 250 mph? Try doing that on the interstate and see how quickly you get arrested or killed.
In some countries in Europe you can now travel at speeds of up to 250km/hr. Safely and legally! And I don't mean the autobahns in Germany. They have high speed trains that travel at up to those speeds. They're fast safe and efficient and they don't need oil. I reckon it's the transport of the future if gas prices keep going the way they have been.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
In some countries in Europe you can now travel at speeds of up to 250km/hr. Safely and legally! And I don't mean the autobahns in Germany. They have high speed trains that travel at up to those speeds. They're fast safe and efficient and they don't need oil. I reckon it's the transport of the future if gas prices keep going the way they have been.
Yes, I'm a huge supporter of high-speed trains, but they are also on self-contained tracks that are designed to handle that speed.

My point was that, at least in the U.S., you will never be allowed to go 250 mph on the highways. So what's the purpose of getting a V12 sports car that can go that fast? My V4 VW Jetta can go 80+ mph, which is what people drive on these highways anyway.

Melon
Old 04-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

My point was that, at least in the U.S., you will never be allowed to go 250 mph on the highways. So what's the purpose of getting a V12 sports car that can go that fast?

Melon
Never underestimate the power of the rich older man trying to compensate for his reduced libido. It's all to do with penis sizes, I kid you not.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:51 PM
I am very glad right now that my car gets 33 mpg because the 70 mile round trip to school would be killing me.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
I am very glad right now that my car gets 33 mpg because the 70 mile round trip to school would be killing me.
Why don't you walk!

Yes I'm being sarcastic and trying once again to show how unrealistic the walk/bike/public trans. idea is more a majority of Americans, especially those with long commutes.

I'm glad your car gets good mileage, but even my little Chevy Cavalier is killing me at the pump
Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Yes I'm being sarcastic and trying once again to show how unrealistic the walk/bike/public trans. idea is more a majority of Americans, especially those with long commutes.

walk, when you can.

bike, when you can.

take buses, when you can.

get a fuel efficient car -- make noise with your checkbook.

vote for politicians who support public transportation.

make good decisions.

this is not an all or nothing argument. it's a little frustrating to take an argument for conservation and toss it into an extreme light, as if i'm saying that we all must give up our cars. as i said before, i grew up car dependent, and am no longer. i also grew up driving a car down the road to the market when i could have walked, or taken my bike. yes, cars are necessary; no, they are not necessary 100% of the time.