Gas Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd vote for melon.

And Irvine, I agree with you 100%. My parents live in England now and pay something around $5 a gallon. Americans have some of the cheapest gas around.

melon said:

My priorities are this:

1) Nuclear plants...

Melon, this may sound strange, but I, too, agree with much of your energy manifesto.

But I do think that any time you mention the "n word" (nuclear), you will quickly incite an activist army of hippies, environmentalists, community citizens, cattle ranchers, earthworm farmers, preachers, soccer moms, apple an dpeach growers, bass fishermen, Neil Young fans, professional water polo players, blacksmiths, little league coaches, and the former drummer for 80s-rock band Survivor who will all organize, assemble, picket, protest, block access, scream, shriek, spit, blow loud airhorns and speak through megaphones to make sure this doesn't happen in their community, simply because of the concept of NIMBY (not in my back yard). They will mention Chernobyl and show horrifying images and sing "Barrel of Pain (Half-Life)" by Graham Nash and do everything they can to stop a nuclear power facility from being built. Some local folk singer will write a song about it that seques into Bob Dylan's "Blowing In The Wind" the night that Ted Koppel is broadcasting live from their protest vigil at the community church. They may not be succesful, but there will always be this aura of fear associated with such a facility, and it will draw one fo the broadest coalitions of opposition you can imagine.

Again, I like most of your plan and I would definitely support it, but many of the same people who complain about high gas prices or about me having an SUV or about Bono riding in a GMC Yukon XL will also do everything they can to fight a nuclear power plant, not matter how modernized, safe, efficient and ecologically sound they may now be. These people will very much seek to be the squeaky wheel.

~U2Alabama

babyman said:
as long as this war will go on there can be only fucking high prices. i bought a new car in june of last year, a turbodiesel 1.7.
the cost of diesel in italy was 0.93 eurocents/liter, today, neither a year after i bought my new car the diesel price is 1.08 euro/liter, how fucking nervous makes me this?!?!?!?!
it's all because of the iraq war
Yeah it's all the Iraq War's fault and it has nothing to do with the Russian government pushing hard to re-nationalise it's oil industry and the Chinese sucking in a lot more energy resources to fuel growth.

1) Nuclear plants. There's no exception to this. It's the only mass form of electricity generation that doesn't require destroying the environment. Nuclear plant technology has come a long long way from the days of Three Mile Island and Chernobyl to the point that "meltdown" is virtually impossible. Plus, those large cooling towers aren't even necessary anymore. There has also been immense progress in waste disposal, along with promising technology in dramatically hastening the half-lives of nuclear waste, not to mention that technology exists to recycle spent uranium. Europe does this quite often; America does not.

2) Desalination facilities. Our water supply is limited, but 3/4 of the Earth is covered in salt water. This comes in handy for...

3) Hydrogen fuel. And created solely from the desalinated water. Maybe in time, but from any water nonetheless. The nuclear plants built in #1 will produce the energy necessary to create hydrogen fuel. The profit off of the hydrogen fuel sales should help make nuclear plants be profitable.

4) Mandatory hybrid/fuel cell automobiles. We've shown how hybrid technology can work to increase fuel efficiency in existing automobiles, but we shouldn't go about wasting hydrogen fuel. Who knows what the environmental impact will be of blowing all that water vapor in the atmosphere, so efficiency is important even in "zero-emission" vehicles.

5) High-speed national rail. I'm not talking about the embarrassment that is currently Amtrak. Amtrak is slow, because it doesn't actually own any of its own rails; it must rely on freight rails owned by private railroad companies. It is faster to drive than to take Amtrak, unfortunately. What we need to do is build a high-speed national rail system that can go at least 300 mph and connects, at least, to every major city in the U.S. Which leads to...

6) Subway systems. London is a great model for this. An expansive subway network that not only covers downtown, but also nearby suburbs. Some cities may lend themselves to the traditional "underground" method. Others may lend themselves to an above-ground "trolley" system.

All six above then lead to...

7) Tax restructuring. No, not the Bush model, which will accomplish one thing: shifting the burden to the poor. They already get their federal income taxes back, and a 25% sales tax will hurt these people the most, while giving Donald Trump a chance to buy a million ivory back scratchers.

A few points ~ firstly why would you be running desalinised (presumably) seawater for your hydrogen source, it seems like a significant waste of energy when there are plenty of sources of fresh water that could be used.

Secondly what technology would you be using for these desalination plants? The reason that I ask is because if a government funded a massive project like this with technology that it expensive and inneficient would the public be willing to go along and in the long term would it be desirable to keep them operating.

Would these power plants be privately or publicly owned? Would the electrolysis plants be public or private? What would make this a more desirable option than fossil fuels. Is there any guarantee that the price of fossil fuels will remain high > if they dropped be it through a breakthrough in abiotic synthesis of fuel what would prevent the public from going back to the cheaper option.

What about consumerism? sure it is great that there is a cheaper energy supply but all those cars will still be made with plastics, so will many things around the home or at work you may have greater consumption globally as a result of initiating a cheaper and cleaner energy source.

Nuclear fission power plants are a good medium term solution, but could you sell them to the public. People have been exposed to the nuclear nightmare scenarios for decades in spite of the facts, most of the mainstream green groups remain vehemently opposed to nuclear power even though it is a cleaner source of energy. When things change and groups capitalise on ignorance and technophobia it can establish political obstacles for such an endevour.

Personally I think that we should be looking furthur afield, to go for the next generation of energy sources rather than rolling out a LOT more of what we already have. Fusion would be a possible candidate, sono-fusion ~ if it could be proven and applied to energy production would be very neat indeed.

What will be the ramifications of cheap fuel, the west may enjoy having a hydrogen economy and paying more for it but that will not fly in developing countries, cheaper fuel will only mean that they will use more of it and even more environmental damage could be done. Then there are the geopolitical ramifications, not just the Middle East but all over the world there are countries that are dependent on oil revenues, Russia could be hit very hard and just cease to exist as a single nation, Central Asia could also suffer. The blowback from these changes could be disasterous for the world. I am not saying that nothing should change in the name of stability, I am saying that any ambitious plans must be fully drafted with contingencies and room to be changed and adapted as the situation changes. The problem with unforseen circumstances is that too often the plans are not capable of meeting and dealing with this.

What about all the petroleum exploration and those employed in that industry ~ think of the geologists!

The adoption of a new fuel and restructuring of energy supply in the world largest markets are no small feat, the changes would be drastic and would need a lot of time. There is little possibility that any single government could enact sweeping changes without suffering at the ballot box (for example making all news cars hybrid or subsidising hybrid cars with tax dollars). The change must be allowed to happen on it's own without drastic government intervention, when it becomes more profitable to use hybrid vehicles and the demand develops the companies will follow. Once you get more money running to hydrogen producers then that industry can roll out some. These things cannot be rushed through, they can be assisted but never forced.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
A few points ~ firstly why would you be running desalinised (presumably) seawater for your hydrogen source, it seems like a significant waste of energy when there are plenty of sources of fresh water that could be used.

Well, yes and no. Yes, we have lots of fresh water, but we also have lots of dry periods and using all our drinking water to produce fuel at our rates of consumption may lead to drinking water shortages.

But we do have oceans.

Secondly what technology would you be using for these desalination plants? The reason that I ask is because if a government funded a massive project like this with technology that it expensive and inneficient would the public be willing to go along and in the long term would it be desirable to keep them operating.

Anything in small quantities will be expensive. Period. Would it be so expensive anymore if the technology was given serious consideration? If we put as much attention into desalination as we did creating HDTVs over the past decade, maybe the technology would be cheaper.

Would these power plants be privately or publicly owned? Would the electrolysis plants be public or private? What would make this a more desirable option than fossil fuels. Is there any guarantee that the price of fossil fuels will remain high > if they dropped be it through a breakthrough in abiotic synthesis of fuel what would prevent the public from going back to the cheaper option.

Power plants are already privately owned, as far as I know. The prices, however, are state regulated. We invest hundreds of billions of dollars into the military each year without an afterthought. We try and invest even a fraction of that into the domestic infrastructure, and people whine.

Fossil fuels will remain high, as far as I'm concerned, and China and the rest of the developing world hasn't even hit its peak yet.

What about consumerism? sure it is great that there is a cheaper energy supply but all those cars will still be made with plastics, so will many things around the home or at work you may have greater consumption globally as a result of initiating a cheaper and cleaner energy source.

I don't expect America to reduce its consumption level, which is why I swung towards zero-emission technologies. If we're going to consume, the least we can do is have a clean energy technology, coupled with recycling of materials.

As for "plastic," nothing says that we can't use different building materials that don't involve petroleum products. We'll just have to work at it.

Nuclear fission power plants are a good medium term solution, but could you sell them to the public. People have been exposed to the nuclear nightmare scenarios for decades in spite of the facts, most of the mainstream green groups remain vehemently opposed to nuclear power even though it is a cleaner source of energy. When things change and groups capitalise on ignorance and technophobia it can establish political obstacles for such an endevour.

I'm bored with all the fearmongering. It's downright retarded, and both the left and the right are guilty. People have kept their exposure to the nightmare scenarios, because of the fact that people aren't aware of the facts. They aren't aware of technological changes. They aren't aware of the waste disposal options or even the uranium recycling options. There are obstacles, yes, but obstacles that I believe can be overcome with persistence.

As for the Left, just bring up France and they'll be placated. The nation is pretty much exclusively run by nuclear power.

Personally I think that we should be looking furthur afield, to go for the next generation of energy sources rather than rolling out a LOT more of what we already have. Fusion would be a possible candidate, sono-fusion ~ if it could be proven and applied to energy production would be very neat indeed.

Fusion would be great, except, as far as I know, it's a crap shoot. In fact, there seem to be a lot of scientists who think its impossible. We don't have the luxury of decades to wait for those scientists to be proven wrong.

What will be the ramifications of cheap fuel, the west may enjoy having a hydrogen economy and paying more for it but that will not fly in developing countries, cheaper fuel will only mean that they will use more of it and even more environmental damage could be done. Then there are the geopolitical ramifications, not just the Middle East but all over the world there are countries that are dependent on oil revenues, Russia could be hit very hard and just cease to exist as a single nation, Central Asia could also suffer. The blowback from these changes could be disasterous for the world. I am not saying that nothing should change in the name of stability, I am saying that any ambitious plans must be fully drafted with contingencies and room to be changed and adapted as the situation changes. The problem with unforseen circumstances is that too often the plans are not capable of meeting and dealing with this.

These nations have been whining about American cultural imperialism for decades and resent us anyway. On one hand, they want us to go away. On the other, they want our money. Well, I'm willing to grant them their former wish once and for all. I'm not interested in hampering our development just to be a source of welfare for them.

Once it is perfected here, the technology can be exported to Europe and beyond.

What about all the petroleum exploration and those employed in that industry ~ think of the geologists!

Should we have banned the telephone to preserve the telegraph industry?

The adoption of a new fuel and restructuring of energy supply in the world largest markets are no small feat, the changes would be drastic and would need a lot of time. There is little possibility that any single government could enact sweeping changes without suffering at the ballot box (for example making all news cars hybrid or subsidising hybrid cars with tax dollars). The change must be allowed to happen on it's own without drastic government intervention, when it becomes more profitable to use hybrid vehicles and the demand develops the companies will follow. Once you get more money running to hydrogen producers then that industry can roll out some. These things cannot be rushed through, they can be assisted but never forced.

It won't happen on its own. That's the thing. The oil industry is loving this right now. Why would they even consider investigating alternative fuels, when they're making record profits? And the auto industry, for some odd reason, seems to be in bed with the oil industry, so they'll never betray them.

It'll happen once the oil runs out, but by then, are we willing to flounder for years, if not decades, waiting for the technology to catch up? Supply-side economics isn't coming to our rescue this time. It's too short-sighted of an economic system, and--let's face it--we haven't had real R&D in the U.S. since the 1970s. Even the internet is riding off the coattails of 1960s/70s R&D. That's probably why the space shuttle program is about to collapse, and we have no successor.

Our pursuit of the all-mighty quarterly profit will be our ruin. In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy your expensive fuel for the next decade or more, thanks to our short-sighted economic system.

Melon

Last edited:
Melon, have you considered writing a more in depth piece that fully fleshes out your ideas? Maybe you could submit it to a local newspaper or some other media outlet. The energy issue is, as you say, a bi-partisan issue, and I think (maybe I am being naive here) that the majority of Americans would at least listen to some of your ideas. It does not seem to be liberal or conservative and the lack of partisan rhetoric would tend to open up people's minds. Just a thought.

I have yet another take on this. I am convinced there is pump rigging going on. I travel a round trip of 150 miles every day, and I use a lot of gas. At some stations, 5 bucks will get me all the way one way and then some, while other stations' gas only gets me a little more than halfway. After all this driving and pumping and paying out the ass, I have noticed and can name which stations' gas holds up better. This is not just a question of quality of gas, since I have had both good and bad luck with both big names like Exxon and small stores like Southern Food Store. Sheetz is the gas that holds out the longest. It can't be my car if it varies like this. I am convinced some stores are setting their pumps to less than a gallon. I heard this happened in the 70s oil crisis too.

And speaking of that, someone mentioned in the paper yesterday that in those days Jimmy Carter announced that there was enough oil in Alaska to last the world 200 years, prices would drop and stay down, and the US would one day be free of foreign oil. Well, that was over 25 years ago, and it didn't come true. Maybe it never was true, it was just to calm everyone's fears. I don't remember this speech, I was just a kid, but I do remember people bitching and blaming Carter when gas soared way over a dollar for the first time ever.

U2Kitten said:
Sheetz is the gas that holds out the longest. It can't be my car if it varies like this.

Not only does Sheetz always have the cheapest gas, but they make good sandwiches, too. :up:

pax said:

Not only does Sheetz always have the cheapest gas, but they make good sandwiches, too. :up:

:yes: And always the best non flat bladder buster sodas! :happy:

oh and the cheapest cigs by far (my husband smokes KOOLs, they charge $2.15, most other places are close to $4 :no: )

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Yeah it's all the Iraq War's fault and it has nothing to do with the Russian government pushing hard to re-nationalise it's oil industry and the Chinese sucking in a lot more energy resources to fuel growth.

yes, these too. but before the iraq war i payed 0.93eurocent.
this afternoon i payed 1.12eurocent.......................it rises constantly, the russian and the chinese did their shit even before the war, but the price never reached this guinness highness

U2Kitten said:
I have yet another take on this. I am convinced there is pump rigging going on. I travel a round trip of 150 miles every day, and I use a lot of gas. At some stations, 5 bucks will get me all the way one way and then some, while other stations' gas only gets me a little more than halfway. After all this driving and pumping and paying out the ass, I have noticed and can name which stations' gas holds up better. This is not just a question of quality of gas, since I have had both good and bad luck with both big names like Exxon and small stores like Southern Food Store. Sheetz is the gas that holds out the longest. It can't be my car if it varies like this. I am convinced some stores are setting their pumps to less than a gallon. I heard this happened in the 70s oil crisis too.

If you think this is happening there should be a sticker somewhere on the pump about it being regulated by the state for accuracy in its measures and a number that you can call if you suspect that something is amiss.

WOW.

Just makes me proud to live in a place like Albany, NY. It'a a little like Dublin, actually: a big village. It shares some of the deficiencies of the America that Henry (History is Bunk) Ford built( he was the one who basically dismantled what used to be the WORLD'S BEST public trandport system..railroads to suburbs? Heck, we outdid even the Brits on that one)..

such as: a miniature portion of shoddy downtown caused by White Flight, a bus system that doesn't run past 11:30 PM-midnight )Albany has a lot of colleges, so maybe the buses run a little later here than other cities), the newest technolgical jobs opening up in Clifton Park, the local "Edge City"; and the damnable lack of a shuttle train running 40 miles north to Saratoga so we can be better conencted to the Horse Racing Season in July-August, but other things are great here.

The three main "Cities" of the Capital District-=-Albany, Schenectady, Troy, are closely linked together by spiderweb pockets of suburbs between them that have largely sprung up sice WWII. Instead of a single city-suburb structure that runs inward to outwars, the geogrpahical position of the 3 "townships" makes for a great public transport situation. The buses run between the three areas, and the farthest point, Schenctady is no more than 45 minutes (in heavy traffic)from Albany and Hudson River. There are great parks in the middl f touwn and a walkway besdie the river. The whole place is small, maybe 25 miles square. The main tri-city area. Albany has also preserved much of its ancient (for America, about 240 yrs is ancient) architecture. Many great period Hollywood films are made here. IN the are'as shopping malls, there is a real diversity of people....you never go to any inddor mall and think, "OKay, this is the suburban mall" or this is the 'gehtto mall." I live along a street that used to be cobblestonesa cnetury ago. In some places today, where the road is getting in need of repair, you can even see glimpses of cobblestones a few inches down among the potholes in the road.

It's far to small to be considered an ideal, but in the Capital city area, anyway, alot of people live and shop clse to where they work. The commute is generally a 20-minte dash north to Clifton Park (which is the real gas-guzzling suburb), and a half-hour to Saratoga. For me, thebest part is, as a gfrad student with an campus ID card, I can travel most of the city's buses for free. Even if I was no loger a student, if I had the ID, I could still get on..they don't check. I see lots of bikers too, evenv by the airport, which is a one-minute drive from the largest shopping mall.

There are a lot fo flaws, but Rolling Stone had a great article on this. We can't change the structure of the way we live now, but in the future, we willhave to build cities smaller, like the Albany area. We willhave to beocme localized.

Last: I will say that Europeans and others just canot understand the unique mythos the automobile holds in American culture. It is much more than a means of teansportation, or a feature of daily life. It stmbolizes freedom, independence, and even democracy (the treasured privacy of having your own personal space to say to others exactly what you please, without fear of being overheard. Which is of course impossible in a public conveyance like a train or subway. There is also, I suspect, an unfortunate, latent undercurrent of power, of imperialism...of havi "tamed" the American wastes, the vastness of the landscape, and bringing it under your control. It perpetuates to the average individual the sense of havng conquered the frontier..on a daily basis.

Lastly: GREAT article there, buddy. Nothing like that to cheer me up! We forget one thing: last time there was a Depression, FDR got us out of it with an impressive job-creation program, whcih consisted mainly of developing America's then-vast natural rescources. Building dams, roads, highways. Mining, factories, oil. What would any American Presient do now to create jobs in a country where most of the natural rescources are gone (in a mining, developing, oil producing, or road building or dam building way)?

PS It isn't Bono's SUV, LOL.

And for those advicting nuclear power..I have 2 words: SIAN EVANS.

Edge said sometimes around the mid-90's that he would not want to live near a nuclear power plant, it wouild freak him out, he;d be worried about he or his kids getting cancer. The fact of the matter is, read Flanagan's book..evedn int he days hewre there was just one Sellafield Plant, familes living aorund it had a very high rate of cancer. Some of the residents even slapped the faces of the band memebers and burst into tears talking to them. Soon after ZOo TV< BOno was criicized for building an expensive swimming pool in front of his beachfront property. Well, I would too, if I could afford it, b/c I wouldn't want my kids swimming in the polluted Irish Sea.

I don't know about you, but I look at those humerous little pics of the band on the Sellafield trip ("F-O-A-D!") now, and it makes my blood run cold.

If it turns out that Edge didn't, and the child is sick from years of contact with it, or equal pollution in Malibu (crazt as this sounds)...

Last edited:
Rising gas prices. I hate it, but I have to deal with it. And I am also one of many people in this country that can't do the walk/take the bus/bike strategy. I live in a rural town, and I work/go to school about 40 miles away. I need my car, but it's getting ridiculous. I don't have a gas guzzler, but I'm spending $60-80 a week on gas. :(

Teta040 said:
Edge said sometimes around the mid-90's that he would not want to live near a nuclear power plant, it wouild freak him out, he;d be worried about he or his kids getting cancer. The fact of the matter is, read Flanagan's book..evedn int he days hewre there was just one Sellafield Plant, familes living aorund it had a very high rate of cancer. Some of the residents even slapped the faces of the band memebers and burst into tears talking to them. Soon after ZOo TV< BOno was criicized for building an expensive swimming pool in front of his beachfront property. Well, I would too, if I could afford it, b/c I wouldn't want my kids swimming in the polluted Irish Sea.

For every Sellafield and Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, there are hundreds and thousands of perfectly safe nuclear plants that we never hear about. We're probably more likely to get cancer from the crap blasted into the atmosphere from coal burning plants. On a clear day, the sky here has an orange hue from the sulfur emissions. Who knows what crap is up there that we can't see.

As I've stated before, though, I believe that modern nuclear technology is much safer. It doesn't require cooling towers, and I don't even think it requires being near a body of water anymore.

Generally speaking, older and generally unsafe nuclear plants should certainly be shut down and decommissioned.

Melon

So you're going to build the hundred's of the nuclear power plants needed to replace/substain the current oil need, where exactly?
Do you want to buy a house and suddenly find out there is a nuclear power plant being built in your back yard, for the next 5 to 10 years? Not to mention the earthquake fault lines, tornado and hurricane alley in the Midwest and South and the uproar of building several plants on the east coast where there are also potential earthquake faults.
Geez we even had a small earthquake here in the south last year.
In order to build the number of plants in the next 10 years, which is what I read somewhere, it takes to bring ONE nuclear power plant online from the ground up, there would have to be almost 2 in every state of the nation? But hundreds being built at one time. 911 looks pretty tame now. There are to many people that hate us that also have our knowledge, to set ourselves up for this potential.
It's not going to happen.
I've read most of this thread and the RS article and other articles and God only knows, I don't have any answer's.
I just know there are many intelligent minds out there, including your's melon, that have answer's if the administration is interested. Which it isn't. They don't even acknowledge it as a problem.
"Don't tell the masses, they think we are keeping them safe" they'll vote for anything ....
Ok, never mind I'm not going there anymore.
Just hope someone listen's before...
Sorry!! Times up.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
So you're going to build the hundred's of the nuclear power plants needed to replace/substain the current oil need, where exactly?

Where are current power plants built? In someone's backyard?

Do you want to buy a house and suddenly find out there is a nuclear power plant being built in your back yard, for the next 5 to 10 years?

Do you buy a house and suddenly find out there is a factory being built in your backyard for the next 5 to 10 years? That's what zoning laws are for.

Not to mention the earthquake fault lines, tornado and hurricane alley in the Midwest and South and the uproar of building several plants on the east coast where there are also potential earthquake faults.

I tend to think this problem has already been addressed. We have existing nuclear plants all across the nation, and we've had earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. since the dawn of time.

Geez we even had an small earthquake here in the south last year. In order to build the number of plants in the next 10 years, which is what I read somewhere, it takes to bring ONE nuclear plant online from the ground up, there would have to be almost 2 in every state of the nation? But hundreds being built at one time. 911 looks pretty tame now.
It's not going to happen.

Two per state? Sounds reasonable. 100 plants for 50 states doesn't sound that bad, although we could probably even discount small states or island states like Rhode Island and Hawaii.

And I'm not quite sure where your "9/11" comment falls into place, except I bet you're bringing up that specter of "terrorism." Oil is running out, whether we like it or not. It isn't as if ignoring the problem is going to make it go away.

Security, obviously, is important and should be seriously studied before building these plants (and I'm pretty sure we've already studied security needs for our existing nuclear plants), but why would terrorists need to get nuclear material from the U.S.? Russia is like an unlocked treasure chest.

I just know there are many intelligent minds out there, including your's melon, that have answer's if the administration is interested. Which it isn't. They don't even acknowledge it as a problem.

You're right. They don't acknowledge it as a problem, but it's our fault for electing these idiots time and time again. The 2006 election is around the corner, and, hopefully, enough people can demand that they pay attention to energy to affect change.

At least, that's what I hope to accomplish.

Melon

My city, Birmingham, Alabama, has terrible mass transit. I live in the city, close to work, the university, everything. The art studio I work in is in the suburbs, in what used to be a filling station, ironically enough. My car is a compact. I manage OK, I don't have any big time complaints about gas.

I agree with everything here, except one thing: Melon, people don't care a smuch about factories as they would about a plant because in their mind, factories by comparison don't produce anything harmful. Just the noraml amount of pollutants. And people are SO lazy aobut things like dying after 30 yrs from normal pollution. Aren't they? But if people didn't care so much about factories, why after WWII was there such a huge mass flight to get away from them? Factories were in the city, and people wanted to be in a semi-rural environment where ugly city buildings were out of sight, out of mind. The factory was somwhere where you made money but then went home to your nice little tree-lined suburban lot at the end of the day, and on the weekend. PLus, it will take a huge education campaign to convince people that nuclear material isn't dangerous.

There are all sorts of little nagging "aesthetic" issues that would make your typical suburbanite (in addition to the fears of radiation) not tolerate a plant nearby. IN the end, they'll want it in the places where the poor shmucks live.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
There are all sorts of little nagging "aesthetic" issues that would make your typical suburbanite (in addition to the fears of radiation) not tolerate a plant nearby. IN the end, they'll want it in the places where the poor shmucks live.

Power plants are already built where the "poor shmucks" live. Why do we all of a sudden think that nuclear plants will be built in the high rent district? :huh: We have zoning laws for a reason. Period.

I think this is the last thing people need to be worried about.

Melon

In VA, both of our nuclear power plants (Surry and North Anna) were built in sparsely populated rural areas, not towns. I have cousins who live about 20 miles from North Anna, and they say they worry more about the dam bursting and flooding the town in minutes more than a nuclear leak.

Back on topic, I have noticed on the roads I travel that gas has dropped between 2 and 8 cents per gallon at the stations I pass since the weekend! :happy: :dance:

ILuvLarryMullen said:
it cost me $37 to fill up my tank yesterday, and I have a Grand Am :angry:

I don't know what a "Grand Am" is and also didn't bother to google it, but if it's truly Grand (high fuel usage) and American (even higher fuel usage), $37 really isn't that much for a full tank...

LOL.

A Grand Am is actually one of the smaller American cars.

This is my first and last anti-American rant on these pages. But if there's one thing that really pisses me off then it's Americans complaining about the price of gas.

I'm British and today I filled up my car at 86.9pence/litre. I calculate (based on US$1.90 exchange rate) that this equates roughly to $6.25 per US Gallon!

So why is the oil rising?

- Market speculators? No, speculators can only influence prices over the short term so this isn't a huge factor over the last couple of years.

- Iraq war? Well no because for years their contribution to global output was miniscule.

- Increased Global Demand? Yes actually. Given comparable levels of supply the primary law of economics means that price of anything increases if demand increases. Given that global output of oil has remained very close or at maximum capacity then demand HAS increased. Yes by Americans and everyone else in part, but largely down the Chinese and the Indians.

And the reason for the Iraq War?...easy... to control the supply of oil in the long term for when the existing suppliers run dry. It's not a bad strategy to have first shout of oil when it becomes really scarce.

And the real kicker? When the world runs dry America can start to pump it's own supplies in anger.

So I don't want any Americans crying about how much it's costing them to fill up. You're getting a fucking bargin!

Apologies for the rant...I actually do like you yanks. But I just don't get your fury at gas prices!

I complain b/c there is a noticeable problem. My cousin who recently moved here from a nation with higher gas prices and after settling in started complaining about US gas prices. Why? Relative to the her surroundings in which there is urban sprawl and the amount of driving Americans generally have to do, gas prices are pain in the ass. People in Britain may not have to drive as much or they may have a rail.

Also, gas prices can't just be going up in the US alone. Do Europeans, Asians, etc. love higher prices from the already higher prices they have now?

What about trucking companies? When a truck driver who's livlihood is dependent on gas to a degree complains about high gas prices b/c it takes away money that could be used to support his family, are you cold heartless Interferencers going to say tough shit to his or her face?

:hmm:

I guess so.

Last edited:
Yes but I think the point is gas is relatively under-taxed in the US and hence gas prices are relatively low, well at least compared with prices in Europe. Point taken as regards Americans having to drive longer distances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom