Gandhi Quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Mahatma Gandhi 'got' it. Some haven't yet. I am appauled by Mrs. Hassan's murder and by the situation in Iraq altogether.

Peace will not come out of a clash of arms but out of justice lived and done by unarmed nations in the face of odds.

Hatred ever kills, love never dies; such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.

Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is
mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man

Violent means will give violent freedom.

However much I may sympathize with and admire worthy motives, I am an uncompromising opponent of violent methods even to serve the noblest of causes.

Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.

Nonviolence is not a garment to be put on and off at will.
Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

What kind of victory is it when someone is left defeated?

U2democrat said:
Ghandi. We could use another person similar to his or MLK's type today.

Damn, isn't that the truth. I think many people are suffering just because we don't have anyone like this right now.

:cry:

All of the great progressive leaders of the US were murdered. :( I don't think we've yet recovered. (We'll have to wait until U2dem's a bit older, I guess ;))

Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?

SD

U2democrat said:
there's such a void in today's world without a single, peace-promoting leader for most everyone to look up to.

we've still got the dalai lama and nelson mandela, at least. two great leaders committed to standing up for what they believe--non-violent change.

Why is it that so many of the promoters of peace were killed in violent attacks?

Jesus, MLK, John Lennon, Kennedy...

Maybe this is why there are so few.

Mandela is the last, I think it will be awhile before we have another. Especially in America. But I think the current climate of neo-cons will breed some rebellion and just may breed another. We'll see.

I got my collector's edition HTDAAB today, and when I opened it this was the first thing I read

We must become the change we want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Sherry Darling said:
:cry:

All of the great progressive leaders of the US were murdered. :( I don't think we've yet recovered. (We'll have to wait until U2dem's a bit older, I guess ;))

Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?

SD

awwwww :hug:

Can you tell me where he's gone? I thought I saw him walking o'er the hill, with Abraham, Martin, and John.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why is it that so many of the promoters of peace were killed in violent attacks?

Jesus, MLK, John Lennon, Kennedy...

Maybe this is why there are so few.

Mandela is the last, I think it will be awhile before we have another. Especially in America. But I think the current climate of neo-cons will breed some rebellion and just may breed another. We'll see.

They're definitely creating the need. And you know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention.

It hangs above my altar
Like they hung him from a cross
And I keep one in my wallet
For the times that I feel lost
In a wooden frame with splinters
Where my family kneels to pray
If you listen close
You'll hear the words he used to say

I got a picture of Jesus
In his arms so many prayers rest
I got a picture of Jesus
With him we shall be forever blest

There will come a time
When he shall come again
But would we recognize
This king of all men?
There was a man in our time
His words shone bright like the sun
He tried to lift the masses
And was crucified by gun
But he was

A picture of Jesus
In his arms, in his arms so many prayers rest
I got a picture of Jesus
And with him we shall be forever blest

Some days have no beginning
And some days have no end
Some roads are straight and narrow
And some roads only bend
So let us say a prayer
For every living thing
Walking towards the light
From the cross of a king

I got a picture of Jesus
In his arms, in his arms so many prayers rest
I got a picture of Jesus
And with him we shall be forever blest

--"Picture of Jesus" Ben Harper

Well, anyway, I spose we ought to head to Bang and Clatter for a complete discussion of Ben Harper. ;)

Just thought the song was appropriate in this context.

Back
Top Bottom