G8 ministers to cancel $40 billion in debt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
G8 to cancel debt

Hopefully the link works....

Now, they are NOT cancelling 100% of the debt from all countries (due to corrupt governments), but many of the African countries are going to benefit.

:up:

Congratulations. I think lot of this is due to Gordon Brown, yes?

He will be the next Prime Minister of Britain, once Blair shuffles off the stage.

financeguy said:
Congratulations. I think lot of this is due to Gordon Brown, yes?

He will be the next Prime Minister of Britain, once Blair shuffles off the stage.

Yes, financeguy and the One Camp. & Bono and even GWB.

I just sent this to the news section and came over here to see it has been posted. This is good news.

I have received numerous emails from the online newspapers I subscribe too and this news is all over the net.

Haven't seen/heard it on network news yet.
Seems this little tropical storm is taking up alot of news space.
I'm in Mobile, Al - and believe me, I've been thru worse - including hurricane Ivan last year.
I've seen worse thunderstorms than this. (Thank goodness)

Anyway, just wanted to share something positive..

sue4u2 said:

Yes, financeguy and the One Camp. & Bono and even GWB.

I just sent this to the news section and came over here to see it has been posted. This is good news.

I have received numerous emails from the online newspapers I subscribe too and this news is all over the net.

Haven't seen/heard it on network news yet.

Seems this little tropical storm is taking up alot of news space.
I'm in Mobile, Al - and believe me, I've been thru worse - including hurricane Ivan last year.
I've seen worse thunderstorms than this. (Thank goodness)

Anyway, just wanted to share something positive..

Just wanted to add, Blair has been instrumental in getting Bush to go along with this. along with the pressure from the One petition. Bush does owe him alot..

Dont have a link to back any of this up. This is my observations, of course.
I'm running on sleep deprivation having been otherwise occupied these last couple of weeks with my Dad's worsening health condition..

:wink: WOW!!! That's a good news!!!
Finally they've decided that they HAD to do it, it's maybe only the beginning, like Bono said, but it still a good start!!!
I wish that it will continue like that, they really have to think with their hearts!!! Good Luck !!!

BrownEyedBoy said:
Honduras got $1,250 million pardoned.

Rather than make me feel happy it makes me feel odd at what bad shape we're in. :huh:

If it makes you feel any better, in the 1980s Ireland almost had to go to the Wold Bank to look for loans and now it is one of the most successful economies in the world.

:up: Gordon Brown and Blair

Mali is on the list of countries! :yes: Thank you to everyone who has been calling and contacting their representatives. Together, we CAN make a difference for Africa.

Aw ni ce! Aw ni baara ji! Allah k'an kisi!

(roughly, thank you...good work! may God help us!)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
That´s a good start. :up:

This is the closest to my reaction. Only 18 nations out of the 50ish that need it. The SAPs (structural adjustment programs that cost people their jobs, food security and health care) are still in place. Zilch on trade reform. And--never forget, this is a formal agreement. LOL. Formal agreements have gone unimpplemented before.

Still, it's also unprecedented and highly enough publicized that I think it wil happen. It's a real victory. I think the actual heroes of it are the acitivsts who have been working on this for the past 20 years, but I'm happy to tip my hat to Bush and Blair/Gordon Brown too. Not so sure about Wolfowitz, he wasn't there and has only been at the Bank for like 2 weeks. LOL. :D

Sherry Darling said:

This is the closest to my reaction. Only 18 nations out of the 50ish that need it. The SAPs (structural adjustment programs that cost people their jobs, food security and health care) are still in place. Zilch on trade reform. And--never forget, this is a formal agreement. LOL. Formal agreements have gone unimpplemented before.

Still, it's also unprecedented and highly enough publicized that I think it wil happen. It's a real victory. I think the actual heroes of it are the acitivsts who have been working on this for the past 20 years, but I'm happy to tip my hat to Bush and Blair/Gordon Brown too. Not so sure about Wolfowitz, he wasn't there and has only been at the Bank for like 2 weeks. LOL. :D

True, true. Well so I take it that the activists´ next goals will be the reduction of SAPs/ HIPCs that do not work, and a trade reform.

Bush, Blair and Wolfy.. I wonder how much they would have done without the lobbying of Bono and all the organizations that keep pressing those issues. However, it is great that they agree on a reduction. According to messages I get, Bono now gets a real big :up: by Reparations movements too.

Yeah, nice start.. I wonder if that´s about it, or if the World Bank will continue its work towards eradicating poverty.

Just called the White House to thank President Bush too. I hope they´re going to count the incoming messages about this topic so the Prez will be reassured that also people from Europe appreciate this. The lady on the phone was nice :D good voice too, and very polite (well one wouldn´t expect anything else, but anyway). In the end I said "have a great day, ma ´am" and she replied "you do the same, sir" :D

Back
Top Bottom