FYM Definition of Democrats/Republicans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
I find that in FYM, you are a Republican if you are for President Bush and a Democrat if you are for former President Clinton. Obviously, both of these politions represent some ideals of their party and also their own personalities.

What is your definition of the ideals of the party you choose to be associated?

I tend to lean towards the Democratic party because I believe that our government should be responsible in taking care of people. I don't agree with cutting taxes to let individual states/towns deal with everything themselves. To me, it is guaranteed that people in need will be left out.

I more or less agree, BostonAnne. A Republican is basically someone who likes Bush, and a Democrat is basically someone who liked Clinton. I preferred Clinton to Bush, personally. Color me "Democrat". Also I plan to vote for a Democrat in the next election. The terms might not mean that much in the next election because I know some Republicans who are thinking of voting for a Democrat. I don't know, some Republicans aren't liking some of the things Bush is doing these days......it's complicated.

OK, where does that leave us non-Americans?

I don't know any of the presidents's work enough to decide based on that.

Seems like these days you're a republican if you're for Bush and a democrat if you're not, regardless of if you liked Clinton.

Personally labels such as these rub me the wrong way :mad:
I hate how people use the words conservative/liberal/democrat/republican as if they're insults and something to be ashamed of. I have a friend, her ex-boyfriend was very conservative, and he referred to her male friends as "the gay ass liberal hippy" and "the liberal veggie," and told me I only thought the way I did because I was young (he's four years older than us). It just really bothers me that people stick others with labels, stereotype them, and dismiss them as ignorant. We all have differing opinions and all ends of the spectrum are required to keep this country in balance.

Well, maybe that wasn't very on topic. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have trouble with labels, too. It's pigeonholing. Not all "Democrats" voted for the same people in the last election. What do you call someone who voted for Ralph Nader? Not necessarily a "Green" even though he was that party's candidate.

democrats and republicans have the same beliefs anyway, just different policy on how to execute their platforms. it's irritating to think that you can't actually define them cos they're almost exactly the same.

democratic party beliefs:
"We believe:

? In equal opportunity for all citizens.

? In rewarding, honest, hard work with a living wage and in a tax system that is fair.

? In values that support and strengthen all families.

? In quality public education that gives all citizens the opportunity to reach their potential.

? In freedom from government interference in our private lives and personal decisions.

? In separation of Church and State to preserve the freedom to pursue our beliefs.

? That the individual strengths of our diverse population are a benefit.

? In security in our homes and safety on our streets. Criminals should face swift and certain punishment.

? In a strong United States ? morally, economically, diplomatically and militarily.

? In common sense reforms that give us cleaner and safer air and water. "
source: http://www.geocities.com/navarrodems/2000Platform.html

republicans:

We respect and cherish the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and our Founders' intent to restrict the power of the federal government over the states and the people. We believe internal self-government is the best government, balanced by limited civil government, which provides for the people those things which cannot be achieved individually.
We believe that human life is sacred because each person is created in the image of God, that life begins at the moment of conception and ends at the point of natural death, and that all innocent human life must be protected.
We believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person's ability, dignity, freedom, and responsibility must be honored and recognized. We believe that, while equal opportunity is a right and a privilege, equal outcome is not. We insist that no one's rights are negotiable and that individual freedom demands personal responsibility.
We believe that government spending is out of control and needs to be reduced. We support fundamental, immediate tax reform that is simple, fair, and fully disclosed.
We believe that traditional marriage is a legal and moral commitment between a man and a woman. We recognize that the family is the foundational unit of a healthy society and consists of those related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The family is responsible for its own welfare, education, moral training, conduct, and property,
We believe that a well-educated population is fundamental to the continued success of our Republic; and that parents have the right, as well as the duty, to direct their children's education and to have the choice among public, private, and religious schools. Competition improves education, with no child being left behind.
We believe that the future of our country depends upon a strong and vibrant private sector unencumbered by excessive government regulation.
We believe that a strong America ensures a free America. While we recognize that our nation is a major participant in the global community, we must also vigilantly protect the sovereignty of the United States. Freedom is never free, and we honor all those who have served our nation to protect our liberty.
We believe all Americans have the right to be safe in their homes, on their streets, and in their communities. We support enforcement of the laws through the Courts imposing swift and sure justice with stiff penalties, truth in sentencing, and respecting the rights of law-abiding citizens.
We believe that personal and public integrity is the cornerstone of a stable and lasting society and it is the key to preserving the freedoms for which our founders pledged their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor."
source: http://www.texasgop.org/library/platform.asp

so those of you who do not reside in the united states can i guess read those and comment.

they're really bare, i'm going to keep searching when i get back.

Oh ok.

Yeah, I'm always surprised to see the importance of being a liberal/conservative in US.

*edit* Over here, we have several parties and while some people can get heated in politics debates, in general public is not as keen on political stuff.

I would like to ask though: how do you Americans tell if we from outside US are liberal or conservative?
Is it enough to know someone's view on abortion/death penalty/gun control to tell the difference?

Last edited:
sort of...it's more a combination of things.

like...how do you feel about welfare, special programs, income tax, military spending, dealing with foreign threats, how you stimulate the economy, etc.

Lilly said:
We respect and cherish the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and our Founders' intent to restrict the power of the federal government over the states and the people.

Bullshit. The "Patriot Act" anyone?

We believe internal self-government is the best government, balanced by limited civil government, which provides for the people those things which cannot be achieved individually.

Ambiguous on purpose, I imagine.

We believe that human life is sacred because each person is created in the image of God, that life begins at the moment of conception and ends at the point of natural death, and that all innocent human life must be protected.

And I'm guessing all those executed prisoners aren't human?

We believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person's ability, dignity, freedom, and responsibility must be honored and recognized. We believe that, while equal opportunity is a right and a privilege, equal outcome is not. We insist that no one's rights are negotiable and that individual freedom demands personal responsibility.

Hah...the "Defense of Marriage" acts are a slap in the face to homosexuals. So much for "dignity" and "freedom."

We believe that government spending is out of control and needs to be reduced. We support fundamental, immediate tax reform that is simple, fair, and fully disclosed.

LOL...and what do you think of Bush's record spending deficits? Cutting taxes in the wrong places and out of control military spending.

We believe that traditional marriage is a legal and moral commitment between a man and a woman. We recognize that the family is the foundational unit of a healthy society and consists of those related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The family is responsible for its own welfare, education, moral training, conduct, and property.

Nice to see homophobia codified in your party. You can go f**k yourselves.

We believe that a well-educated population is fundamental to the continued success of our Republic; and that parents have the right, as well as the duty, to direct their children's education and to have the choice among public, private, and religious schools. Competition improves education, with no child being left behind.

If you give tax money to private and religious schools, they are merely public schools. Why don't you spend your time and money fixing the public schools? That's right...it would be too hard; always looking for the easy way out.

We believe that the future of our country depends upon a strong and vibrant private sector unencumbered by excessive government regulation.

Yes...we need to go back to the glory days of the late 19th century, where we merely had the extreme poor and the extreme rich. Did you know that J.P. Morgan, if you adjust his fortune for inflation, would be a trillionaire?

We believe that a strong America ensures a free America. While we recognize that our nation is a major participant in the global community, we must also vigilantly protect the sovereignty of the United States. Freedom is never free, and we honor all those who have served our nation to protect our liberty.
We believe all Americans have the right to be safe in their homes, on their streets, and in their communities. We support enforcement of the laws through the Courts imposing swift and sure justice with stiff penalties, truth in sentencing, and respecting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

What? And the Democratic Party is for violent anarchy?

We believe that personal and public integrity is the cornerstone of a stable and lasting society and it is the key to preserving the freedoms for which our founders pledged their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor."

No...instead of lying, you merely cover up anything unfavorable and evoke "national security" as to why you won't tell the truth.

I'm reminded again why I vehemently hate the Republican Party.

:|

Melon

Yes...the Texas GOP. I won't step foot in that hateful state. I'll be just as stubborn as George Washington was with England. He said that he would never step foot on English soil again, but when he had a state visit to England after he became president, he supposedly brought U.S. dirt and stood on it...LOL.

Melonn

melon said:
Yes...the Texas GOP. I won't step foot in that hateful state. I'll be just as stubborn as George Washington was with England. He said that he would never step foot on English soil again, but when he had a state visit to England after he became president, he supposedly brought U.S. dirt and stood on it...LOL.

Melonn

I've boycotted (undisclosed) states because I didn't like their politicians too. I'm sure there are alot of cool people in Texas. My sister's boyfriend is from Texas, too. Yeah, George Bush and Co. get on my nerves big time. :madspit: :mad: :censored: The b/f doesn't. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they tied the knot. So far Laurie can't decide. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
:up: Melon

A year or so ago, about the time Bush stole the election :mac:
I would have said I was a registered Democrat who has occassionally voted for a Republican candidate. I had centralist leanings and am often disappointed by my own parties actions.
My values are much more in linme with the platform of Dems, as I believe in taking care of the smallest of us, paid for by the largest of us.

Since Bush has been elected, and specifically since 9/11, I've been forced farther and farther to the left in response to his and his cabinents actions. The more reading I do from publications not considered mainstream media, such as The Nation and a renewed interest in Mother Jones,
the angrier I get at the slipshod way they're attacking individual rights, the tax advantages for the wealthy, adn the Iraq issue. One of my main concerns has been for the environment and the earth we will leave our children. In his first weeks Bush repealed several important environmental laws, castrated the EPA, and set us back a decade on clean air, water, and wetland protection.

So now I'm a LIBERAL and damned proud to be one.

Scarletwine said:
:up: Melon

A year or so ago, about the time Bush stole the election :mac:
I would have said I was a registered Democrat who has occassionally voted for a Republican candidate. I had centralist leanings and am often disappointed by my own parties actions.
My values are much more in linme with the platform of Dems, as I believe in taking care of the smallest of us, paid for by the largest of us.

Since Bush has been elected, and specifically since 9/11, I've been forced farther and farther to the left in response to his and his cabinents actions. The more reading I do from publications not considered mainstream media, such as The Nation and a renewed interest in Mother Jones,
the angrier I get at the slipshod way they're attacking individual rights, the tax advantages for the wealthy, adn the Iraq issue. One of my main concerns has been for the environment and the earth we will leave our children. In his first weeks Bush repealed several important environmental laws, castrated the EPA, and set us back a decade on clean air, water, and wetland protection.

So now I'm a LIBERAL and damned proud to be one.

Me too. I'm not uncomfortable with that label.

I was a Democrat.....Clinton destroyed any faith I had in the party.
I am now a Republican....

I am very conservative in the area of Security in the country, and on taxation.

I am very liberal when it comes to social issues except abortion.

I hate the fact that my party is controlled by the right wing and I hope that will change.

I also believe that GW Bush wanted to change it, however, circumstances caused him to move right in the last election.

I am not happy with the current administration on many issues.

Currently if the Democratic Party can put forward a candidate that can demonstrate a remotely conservative fiscal plan and meet me on most social issues that I believe in, I am open to change.

Re: yeah me too

Lilly said:

how egalitarian of you. ;)

That's the platform of the Meggie Party.

This is our mascot:
alce2.gif

Dreadsox said:

I hate the fact that my party is controlled by the right wing and I hope that will change.

I think you're better off waiting for a better Democratic candidate. :|

Melon

Dreadsox said:

Currently if the Democratic Party can put forward a candidate that can demonstrate a remotely conservative fiscal plan and meet me on most social issues that I believe in, I am open to change.

You need a better Democrat. Or it seems like a very good one might be your cup of tea.

:der: A friend with political ambitions told me that he'll be a Democrat until he can afford becoming a Republican. :shrug:

Kristie said:
Seems like these days you're a republican if you're for Bush and a democrat if you're not, regardless of if you liked Clinton.
if by republican you mean american, and by democrat you mean unamerican, then yes. :wink:

j/k...

i would say i'm a democrat, pretty much for all the reasons everyone else has said. sorry to not contribute more, but i didn't think an essay was necessary when a sentence would do.

Lilly said:
democrats and republicans have the same beliefs anyway, just different policy on how to execute their platforms. it's irritating to think that you can't actually define them cos they're almost exactly the same.

Lilly - thank you for taking the time to find the party beliefs. I didn't see each party having the same beliefs. Melon did a much better job articulating my feelings than I would have done.

Dreadsox said:

I am very conservative in the area of Security in the country, and on taxation.

I am very liberal when it comes to social issues except abortion.

I also believe that GW Bush wanted to change it, however, circumstances caused him to move right in the last election.

I am not happy with the current administration on many issues.

Out of curiosity, what did Clinton do to destroy your faith in the Democratic party? Have sex with that woman? What conservative fiscal plan could top getting rid of the deficit?

Just want to clarify, Lilly posted the Democratic and Republican Platforms for Texas.....

Not the National Platforms.

Dreadsox said:
Just want to clarify, Lilly posted the Democratic and Republican Platforms for Texas.....

Not the National Platforms.

Oh, heck, I didn't get it at all. No wonder. It's sort of like Alabama politics--both parties are basically conservative, but the Republicans are more so than the Democrats. It would take an act of God or whatever for a Democratic Presidential candidate to carry this state. The last one to do so was Jimmy Carter in 1976, and that was a fluke because he was from Georgia. He lost it four years later when Reagan carried the state.

Back
Top Bottom