FYM Cultwatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
I would like to commence a thread for exposing and discussing religious cults who prey on, and in some cases, defraud, the vulnerable.

This is not intended as a thread to critique or criticise mainline denominations within Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc (not that I am opposed to critiquing any of those denominations but there are plenty of other threads for that).

Case study nr 1:

Christine Gallagher and the 'House of Prayer' :-

Allegedly urged its followers to sell their houses and hand over the proceeds:

http://www.esatclear.ie/~dialogueireland/a2z/privaterev/House of Prayer 2 SW.pdf

One of Christina Gallagher’s former devout followers told the
Sunday World: “People who worked there voluntarily were told that if they owned their own house they should sell it and give the money to the House of Prayer to help Christina Gallagher’s work. “Others were asked to will their homes, money and land to the cause while she herself seems to have the best of everything. “I don’t know how many people did but it could have been hundreds.” He told how he himself persuaded two wealthy Catholics to donate between €50,000 and €100,000 to the House of Prayer which he now deeply regretted. Most of our sources did not want to be named for fear of being abused for crossing the visionary. The House of Prayer has expanded rapidly in recent years and now has sister homes in Texas, Ohio, Florida, Minnesota, Kansas and Mexico City. The Sunday World has a copy of an astonishing letter from an American priest fundraiser telling US supporters that Christina Gallagher wantedthem to send cash only, “NOT a cheque”.

The founder allegedly lives in a €4m mansion and claims to receive messages direct from the Virgin Mary:-

http://www.esatclear.ie/~dialogueireland/a2z/privaterev/House of Prayer1 JAN 20.pdf

Catholic Church has firmly distanced itself from the organisation:-

House of Prayer has no Church approval whatsoever

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. I'm all for exposing cults.

I live and work just on the Kansas side of Kansas City, so I'm about 30 minutes away from this place. So this is a Catholic deal? I've heard of IHOP (International House of Prayer, which is in KC and considered somewhat suspect), but not this place.

KCMO has a decent amount of cults for people to get trapped in. Unity Village in Lee's Summit, Mo., is a big one. And heck, let's not forget Joseph Smith of Mormonism fame said the Garden of Eden is in Independence, Mo. He made the false prophecy that the Mormon temple would be built there during his lifetime. Instead, they were driven out of Missouri. Joseph Smith False Prophecies

Anywho, there's a lot of dangerous cults that use lies, twist the Bible and use secrecy and guilt and or force to gain followers and spread their agenda.

Here’s a weird one next to my sister’s church in the Nashville, Tenn. area. They don’t let their members get above a certain Body Mass Index! Check it out: Remnant Fellowship Church - Remnant Fellowship - Remnant Fellowship International

VERY creepy. And yes, the pastor, Gwen Shamblin, has millions of dollars.

Here’s a weird one next to my sister’s church in the Nashville, Tenn. area. They don’t let their members get above a certain Body Mass Index! Check it out: Remnant Fellowship Church - Remnant Fellowship - Remnant Fellowship International

VERY creepy. And yes, the pastor, Gwen Shamblin, has millions of dollars.

There are a lot of creepy religions out there

What "Conventional" 'Mainstream Religion" does not have millions (or many multiples of) millions of dollars and assets?

as for this BMI church?
this sounds like one decent, legitimate church
members actually get useful information, that will transform their well being

most religions promise eternal life

at least this one is starting by providing a longer earthly life. :up:

There are a lot of creepy religions out there

What "Conventional" 'Mainstream Religion" does not have millions (or many multiples of) millions of dollars and assets?

as for this BMI church?
this sounds like one decent, legitimate church
members actually get useful information, that will transform their well being

most religions promise eternal life

at least this one is starting by providing a longer earthly life. :up:

We're not talking about "conventional" or "mainstream religions" though. We're talking about one individual who's leading a cult. That person has millions and is getting it through brainwashing people.

And yeah, losing weight is a good thing. Tying it to one's salvation and self worth, isn't. Plus, she has a whole host of cultic beliefs, much of which mirrors those of Jehovah's Witness.

DS570 - equip.org

Back
Top Bottom