FYM BIG issues - your stance? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Iraq War- I was for it. Now I am in the middle. I support the troops 100000000000%

Religion- I am Catholic (but a wavy one.) I now believe religion should not exist and to be closer to god you must act like him and be kind to one, help each other, go meditate some where. His church is in all of us.

Abortion- I am 99% against it. I will support it if it's incest,rape or deformaty. There are other options. A) adoption. B) Maybe the father wants the child and he can take full responsability for the child. C) Maybe a family member would like to have the child, due to infertility? And for you anti-DP advocates. The baby has not killed and there for is innocent and thats why abortion is wrong and executing a inmate for the murders is sometimes justifiable.

Stem Cell- For it if it saves lives.

Gay Marriage- Was against it. I don't really care now. I go on with my life.

Death Penalty- For it. Death knows no race. They killed a human and there for should face the same.

Gun Controll- People have a right to bear arms for protection of one self or family.

Political Views- Democrat Conservative.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:33 AM
Iraq War - Wrong war for wrong reasons, it had nothing to do with saving the Iraqis from a despot or democracy, all about oil reserves and securing resources

Religion - Non-theist humanist, religion is a structure designed by humans to cope with a world they don't understand

Abortion - Pro-choice, not pro-abortion

Stem Cell Research - Support embryonic stem cell research and federal funding

Gay Marriage - Support the right to same sex marriage. Although, just because people are gay, doesn't mean they have to get marriage. Marriage is a joke these days with a few exceptions

Death Penalty - Against it. It is an immoral and inhuman form of punishment.The system of finding guilt is biased and flawed leading to false convictions. Until they solve these inadequacies, the death penalty is ineffective.

Israel Conflict - " Israel has the right to defend itself and does not intentionally target civilians" is the new mantra replacing " because of 9/11" Terrorist acts do not give governments the rights to behave as terrorists and kill innocent people. So long as Israel reponds with disproportionate force, it just increases the long-term risk to the region. I don't see an end to this.

Gun Control - Support it. Hunting rifles are acceptable, handguns and the AK-47s,etc should be banned. The whole argument of protecting oneself is bullshit. If NRA people think having a gun makes one safe, they are sorely mistaken. The right to bear arms amendment is an archaic document written during frontier times when life was totally different.

Terrorism - Terrorists are winning the so-called " war on terror" Governments have changed their behaviour to deal with terrorism despite the bravado of how we won't let them take away our freedoms or lifestyles. Statistically, terrorism is a minor annoyance yet huge resources are used to deal with it. Terrorism has been empowered by the response to these groups.

Political Views - Liberal, generally. Some things conservative but not Republican conservative,. Generally, I am for giving people choices and not about legislating rules which prevent choices. Total separation of church and state and totally against legislation regarding personal lifestyles.

Edited cause someone's feelings got hurt.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Republican conservative, those people are wacko.
I thought this thread was for posting our political stances, and was supposed to be argument-free. I don't believe it was intended to be a place where you could feel free to take potshots at people without fear of them fighting you on it.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

does everything have to be a battle?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

does everything have to be a battle?
I'm not battling anyone, Irvine. I'm just asking for equal treatment. If you and I gave respectful answers, why isn't everyone expected to do the same?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I thought this thread was for posting our political stances, and was supposed to be argument-free. I don't believe it was intended to be a place where you could feel free to take potshots at people without fear of them fighting you on it.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone just had to sneak in a little retort. The way it stays argument free is in choosing not argue the points here. I've read a lot of stuff I disagree with hetr, but if we're going to argue about, for example whether "Republicans are wacko" that should happen on another thread. I agree, it's not fair for someone to use this thread to "take potshots" but in order for the thread to serve what I understant to be it's intended purpose, we have to grit our teeth and ignore the occasional cheap shot.

IMHO. I'm not a mod or anything.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I was wondering how long it would be before someone just had to sneak in a little retort.
I wasn't "sneaking in" anything. The "wacko" statement was a sneak-in. I was openly stating that this was not the place for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
I've read a lot of stuff I disagree with hetr, but if we're going to argue about, for example whether "Republicans are wacko" that should happen on another thread.
IMHO. I'm not a mod or anything.
I'm not arguing about whether Republicans are "wacko". I'm pointing out that this thread is not the place for it.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh well, now I'm arguing. Sorry, Dazzling Amy. I just didn't like the fact that someone took a potshot.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Um, 80's I think maycocksean was agreeing with you...
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:33 AM
OMG!! Get over it!! Start a thread proclaiming Republicans aren't wackos. Get Yolland to ban me, whatever. Referencing my personal opinion to show what extremes I consider to be acceptable is not a cheap shot but it shows my perspective as to use of conservative. Some people here consider Liberal to be an offensive term.

Quote:
I'm not ashamed of my views, and I do feel very strongly about them (as im sure everyone does) but I also like to see other peoples opinions and their reasons why they believe what they do!

I changed it, and for someone in FYM to be whining, yes, whining now, about the possibility of a thread derailment is ridiculous. I could have said much more worse things. Sheesh!!

Wow, I must be having a crappy day, normally, I don't let this kind of thing annoy me. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
OMG!! Get over it!! Start a thread proclaiming Republicans aren't wackos. Get Yolland to ban me, whatever. Referencing my personal opinion to show what extremes I consider to be acceptable is not a cheap shot but it shows my perspective as to use of conservative. Some people here consider Liberal to be an offensive term.

I changed it, and for someone in FYM to be whining, yes, whining now, about the possiblity of a thread derailment is ridiculous. I could have said much more worse things. Sheesh!!

Wow, I must be having a crappy day, normally, I don't let this kind of thing annoy me. That's all I have to say about that.
Call me a whiner - whatever you want. If I'm expected to play by the rules, you should be also.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Can we get back on topic.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Iraq War - completely against.

Religion - Lapsed Catholic...strong spiritual connection to Christianity, low tolerance for the constructs and dogma of the church and communities. Bit of a rock and a hard place at times.

Abortion - pro-choice and pro-life. I support a comprehensive, preventative approach to unwanted pregnancy and better social support (healthcare, education, employment, childcare) to make parenthood a viable option for women with limited support and means.

Stem Cell Research - full support since the real choice is medical waste versus new life through new treatments and cures. Seems like a pro-life choice to me.

Gay Marriage - full support. It will be interesting when the day comes that Church and State meet in court to determine whether churches refusing to perform ceremonies are subject to human rights violation laws.

Death Penalty - completely immoral in theory and ridiculously ineffective and wasteful in practice.

Israel Conflict - the idea that Israel is just defending itself is laughable. Israel isn't any more independent of the USA than Hezbollah is from Syria/Iran.

Gun Control - if someone wants to own an assault weapon, they will, it's as simple as that. I'm not sure gun control measures have proven any level of effectiveness in preventing gun crime...maybe they have...I'm just not that familiar with the issue.

Terrorism - apparently has become an effective tool in driving public policy. So far everything is on schedule for Al Quaida's long-term plans. Keep it up.

Political Views - Fiscally conservative, socially liberal for the most part.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Fiscally conservative, socially liberal
I like that description. I think I will adopt it.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

(post deleted by Bono's shades)