Fun with Santorum: My Weather Service Is Better than Yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the one hand, the Republican senator from Pennsylvania says that the free market system is godly: It "not only produces wealth but also virtuous people whose worldly enterprise complements the work of the Creator." Big government, I need hardly add, is an unholy lumbering giant that's "overly intrusive and burdensome."

sorry, i couldn't make it past the second paragraph. :yikes:

Pax, is man is insane and scarey. Bob Casey just has to defeat this man in the 2006 election. Trust me I will be helping out with getting him elelcted with the State and my local Democratic party.

I hope santorum tanks. We're having a big senate race here in VA (especially if warner runs) so i'll be working on that here...otherwise I'd help out with the PA race.

"On the one hand, the Republican senator from Pennsylvania says that the free market system is godly: It "not only produces wealth but also virtuous people whose worldly enterprise complements the work of the Creator." Big government, I need hardly add, is an unholy lumbering giant that's "overly intrusive and burdensome."

Se7en said:

sorry, i couldn't make it past the second paragraph. :yikes:

What's wrong with that? Many wealthy people do use their money to help mankind.

80sU2isBest said:
"On the one hand, the Republican senator from Pennsylvania says that the free market system is godly: It "not only produces wealth but also virtuous people whose worldly enterprise complements the work of the Creator." Big government, I need hardly add, is an unholy lumbering giant that's "overly intrusive and burdensome."

What's wrong with it is that he implies that a free-market economy is in some way endorsed by God. I've heard many people say they can't understand how Christianity, a religion which advocates caring for the poor and vulnerable, can be used to justify an economic system which actively disadvantages the most vulnerable people in the world.

Even without getting into a debate about the merits of free-market economics, the way that Santorum implies that his views on economics are "godly" is offensive.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Even without getting into a debate about the merits of free-market economics, the way that Santorum implies that his views on economics are "godly" is offensive.

How are his views on economics "offensive"? He is simply matching his economic views to his religious beliefs.

nbcrusader said:

How are his views on economics "offensive"? He is simply matching his economic views to his religious beliefs.

He stated that he believes his particular brand of free-market economics to be "godly" thus implying that those who support other economic policies are in some way "ungodly." That's what I find offensive.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

He stated that he believes his particular brand of free-market economics to be "godly" thus implying that those who support other economic policies are in some way "ungodly." That's what I find offensive.

If we treat every statement lik e"X is Good" to imply that "not-X is not Good", we could be offended any time someone makes a statement.

I just don't see the implication there.

80sU2isBest said:

honestly, i'm not even going to get started on this topic. if you know me or my posts at all you know exactly where i stand on economic issues. what he said is an absolute joke. an economic system that leaves over half of the world's population starving and impoverished...while the vast minority soaks up the vast majority of wealth...real fuckin' godly.

maybe he forgot the part about the camel and the needle.
maybe he forgot the part about ridding yourself of all of your possessions and "following me."
maybe he forgot the part about loving your neighbor as yourself.

Actually, I was a little bewildered by the assertion in the quotes provided that the free system creates virtuous people. No doubt the system includes virtuous people, but I can't quite see how it would create virtuous people.

It reminds me of the 700 club (PTL club, I'm not sure which program) that used to state that God wants us to be rich, giving the impression that rich people have all been blessed by God because of their virtue. Wealth is morally neutral. How it is obtained and used can be virtuous or not.

BonosSaint said:
Actually, I was a little bewildered by the assertion in the quotes provided that the free system creates virtuous people. No doubt the system includes virtuous people, but I can't quite see how it would create virtuous people.

It reminds me of the 700 club (PTL club, I'm not sure which program) that used to state that God wants us to be rich, giving the impression that rich people have all been blessed by God because of their virtue. Wealth is morally neutral. How it is obtained and used can be virtuous or not.

The Puritans and other early Protestants quite literally believed that the virtuous were blessed with wealth. So this way of thinking is deeply ingrained in our heritage. I'm not saying I agree with it, in fact, I don't. But it's where alot of our ideas come from.

Wow. I guess all of us hardworking poor (relatively) folk are moral slackards. Hmmm. The good Senator has made me see the light.

nbcrusader said:

If we treat every statement lik e"X is Good" to imply that "not-X is not Good", we could be offended any time someone makes a statement.

I just don't see the implication there.

There's a huge difference between saying "I believe a free-market economy is good" and saying "a free-market economy is godly." The first is a statement of personal belief, the second implies that the person making the statement is claiming their views are the ones endorsed by God.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

There's a huge difference between saying "I believe a free-market economy is good" and saying "a free-market economy is godly." The first is a statement of personal belief, the second implies that the person making the statement is claiming their views are the ones endorsed by God.

Endorsed? Both are a personal belief. One involves their religious beliefs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom