Fun with Santorum: My Weather Service Is Better than Yours - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Actually, I was a little bewildered by the assertion in the quotes provided that the free system creates virtuous people. No doubt the system includes virtuous people, but I can't quite see how it would create virtuous people.

It reminds me of the 700 club (PTL club, I'm not sure which program) that used to state that God wants us to be rich, giving the impression that rich people have all been blessed by God because of their virtue. Wealth is morally neutral. How it is obtained and used can be virtuous or not.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Actually, I was a little bewildered by the assertion in the quotes provided that the free system creates virtuous people. No doubt the system includes virtuous people, but I can't quite see how it would create virtuous people.

It reminds me of the 700 club (PTL club, I'm not sure which program) that used to state that God wants us to be rich, giving the impression that rich people have all been blessed by God because of their virtue. Wealth is morally neutral. How it is obtained and used can be virtuous or not.
The Puritans and other early Protestants quite literally believed that the virtuous were blessed with wealth. So this way of thinking is deeply ingrained in our heritage. I'm not saying I agree with it, in fact, I don't. But it's where alot of our ideas come from.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Wow. I guess all of us hardworking poor (relatively) folk are moral slackards. Hmmm. The good Senator has made me see the light.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If we treat every statement lik e"X is Good" to imply that "not-X is not Good", we could be offended any time someone makes a statement.

I just don't see the implication there.
There's a huge difference between saying "I believe a free-market economy is good" and saying "a free-market economy is godly." The first is a statement of personal belief, the second implies that the person making the statement is claiming their views are the ones endorsed by God.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

There's a huge difference between saying "I believe a free-market economy is good" and saying "a free-market economy is godly." The first is a statement of personal belief, the second implies that the person making the statement is claiming their views are the ones endorsed by God.
Endorsed? Both are a personal belief. One involves their religious beliefs.