Fuck the FCC - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Even if I don't want this word on primetime, it really comes down to having seen this before. It's the build him up, i.e. the incredible work Bono's doing for Africa, then focus on a negative, so tear him down, for a word he said in a context that means nothing. So it goes, news ratings, jealousy and politics in a way to try to make him look bad so it doesn't look so bad when Bush back's out of a promise or goes back on his word. Expect more because Bush cannot and will not be overshowed by a Rock Star. Why else would Bush insinuate himself into a ceremony he wasn't even invited too. Next thing you know "fucking brilliant" will be a threat to national security.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:42 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Even if I don't want this word on primetime, it really comes down to having seen this before. It's the build him up, i.e. the incredible work Bono's doing for Africa, then focus on a negative, so tear him down, for a word he said in a context that means nothing. So it goes, news ratings, jealousy and politics in a way to try to make him look bad so it doesn't look so bad when Bush back's out of a promise or goes back on his word. Expect more because Bush cannot and will not be overshowed by a Rock Star. Why else would Bush insinuate himself into a ceremony he wasn't even invited too. Next thing you know "fucking brilliant" will be a threat to national security.
I'm not sure how Bush got brought into this but it reminds of the speech where his Dad brought up U2 calling him at the White House.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 06:53 PM
FCC should sue NBC heavy

The FCC should sue NBC heavy for letting NBC air such an offensive word during prime-time programming. NBC knows what the rules are, NBC can easily afford devices or a person to hold their finger on a button during live programming, but they failed to. Bono should not be brought into this story, Bono has every right to stand on a stage and say whatever words he wants, but NBC does not have the right to broadcast those words over the airwaves, and the FCC should send a clear signal to NBC.

The FCC has levied million-dollar fines against Howard Stern for words he has used on radio, and Stern and his bosses have always come up and given money to the FCC to settle these fines.

It's good to see that the FCC is treating all networks the same, and making them all play by the same rules. The FCC has being doing a great job lately, there are now more radio and television stations than ever before. With the advent of satellite television, satellite radio, premium cable TV packages, there are now more entertainment sources than ever before.

The FCC is going in the right direction, they're upholding decency in broadcasting and at the same time they're allowing more radio stations and TV stations on the air, the selection for television and radio choice has never been greater.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

maybe someone from the fcc should read this thread

http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=38351
Old 01-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #20

btw, lipstickboy, are you the same lipstickboy who used to go into u2 chat?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Was he as delightful as he is in here?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:57 PM   #22
The Fly

That's me :-)

That's me :-) from the AOL-U2 chatroom
Old 01-17-2004, 12:35 AM   #23

oh, i never went to the aol u2 chatroom, i mean here at interference?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:57 AM   #24
The Fly

no

no, my mother doesn't let me chat in the interference room
Old 01-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #25
Acrobat

You know personally I find 'goddamn" and "Jesus" used as expletives more offensive than "fuck". "Fuck" is practically a meaningless word these days given all its applications where as "Jesus" means something rather specific. Casue seriously no one would say "Muhammad" or "Vishnu". Now I'm not going to have an anurism if I hear ti but it is fairly annoying (It really got under my skin back when I saw Gladiator in theatres. This woman behind me would yell it out every time something violent happened on screen. Uh might have expected some violence in a movie called Gladiator. And learn another expletive..). The only time "fuck' bothers me is with people who use it every other word and seem to have no other adjectives verbs or adverbs.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

i guess i'll be the lone person who believes that the word Fuck has no business being on television... do i blame bono? not at all... it was a reaction at a live event. you can't blame him... you can blame the dump man who let it through, but ya can't blame the person who said it.

over the holidays, one of my little cousins called his mother "penis breath." the kid's like 4 years old. now should we censor things? absolutely not... it's the responsibility of the parents to not let their young kids say such things. but it's not about censorship to me... it's about respect. keep the curses on the premium cable networks and off of basic cable. who gives a fuck () about the occasional, accidental slip... but in no way should we start opening up the airwaves to whatever they want to put on it.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly, I don't believe the f word belongs on TV either

Last week I was watching The View (yes, I'm ashamed to admit I watched it for about 15 min), and Barbara Walters was discussing a news story about..let's see, how to word this..men getting a certain area waxed for a particular sexual reason.

She was pretty graphic about it. Why is that allowed on daytime? Not to mention soaps..I've heard the word bastard used on those, and other curse words.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I prefer *not* to hear this sort of stuff on TV, but.........I was just watching TV and an unmarried couple was duking it out on some talk show, a paternity dispute, and every other word was bleeped out........disgusting.....generally TV programming is low quality stuff that needs "shock value" to hang in there, or so the big shots think. Any attempt to assign blame in any one place isn't right. While I'm not fond of this trend it makes me mad as hell that they are picking on Bono. If they'd listen to a few of the other things he says the world would be a better place.
Idiots. TV programming is the problem.