Frontline - "Bush's War"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
The first half hour has made me sick - thoughts?

Anyone watching it?

It will be on tonight in our Los Angeles market
- on PBS channel 28
tonight 3/24/08 and tomorrow night at 9 p. m.

I will TIVO and try and watch

I may have seen too many documentaries on this subject.

deep said:

I may have seen too many documentaries on this subject.

I have seen pretty much every documentary released on this subject.

I can't even watch this, as I feel it's almost pointless. I just get upset and tomorrow comes with absolutely nothing changing. I hope it's well done, though, for those who are watching.

I've seen this. Frontline is stellar. Some of the best , if not the best investigative journalism still out there.

Speaking of investigative reporting...
Did anybody see Brian Lamb's interview with Phil Donahue on C-span? Mr. Donahue is coming out with a documentary called Body Of War. I missed Brian's interview with him last night, dang it. I also missed Phil on Bill Moyers.

It's excellent, I read a review of it yesterday that made me feel I had to watch it.

I had no idea that Rumsfeld wrote that memo/note on 9/11 about linking it to Saddam Hussein (has that ever come out before?), that was the beginning of the whole debacle. I believe this documentary has plenty of information you have never seen before, no matter how many you've seen already.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's excellent, I read a review of it yesterday that made me feel I had to watch it.

I had no idea that Rumsfeld wrote that memo/note on 9/11 about linking it to Saddam Hussein (has that ever come out before?), that was the beginning of the whole debacle. I believe this documentary has plenty of information you have never seen before, no matter how many you've seen already.

I believe it did come out before. I believe I had the same sick feeling in my stomach.

Before ranting and raving I must stop myself and ask this important question...is what we're seeing in "Bush's War" only scratching the surface? Was the whole thing much more diabolical than what is being presented?? How it all came together...the stolen election, 9/11, Iraq...to me it seems like it was indeed all planned much in advance. Before anyone starts screaming "conspiracy nut" just look at the facts and then combine the facts with coincidences and timing. I can't believe anyone is "shocked" at what Frontline is presenting - have'nt we all known all this for about 3 or 4 years????

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well Rumsfeld and Cheney are even worse than I thought before, and I didn't even think that was possible.

I agree 1000%. The two of them and Paul Wolfowitz should be arrested. One day, I believe that these terrorists will be brought to justice.

Why haven't the neo-cons commented in this thread? Or are they also disgusted by the documentary?

Waiting for them to comment.

:corn:

The thing that had dissapointed me all along (a conservative with a intelligence community background) is time and time again, they would not listen to the commanders on the ground, or the generals. There was no dialog with the people executing the mission, or the intel community.

I watched bits and pieces of it last night. It just rehashed old feelings of anger with this administration and the sheer incompetence, and how Nixonian it is in silencing dissent.

MadelynIris said:
The thing that had dissapointed me all along (a conservative with a intelligence community background) is time and time again, they would not listen to the commanders on the ground, or the generals. There was no dialog with the people executing the mission, or the intel community.

I would be very interested in your take on the One Percent Doctrine.

I had not realized how many books I have read on the topic until I was sitting with my wide saying, I read his book. Again and again throughout the story.

Matt

NY Times

April 7, 2008

A Comprehensive PBS Documentary on the Iraq War Becomes a Big Hit Online
By ELIZABETH JENSEN

Executives at “Frontline” do not yet know how many people watched their recent four-and-a-half hour documentary, “Bush’s War,” because of PBS’s complicated Nielsen ratings.

Online, however, “Bush’s War,” which was produced for the fifth anniversary of the United States’ invasion of Iraq, has set a record, with more than 1.5 million views of all or part of the program, which was streamed in 26 segments.

“Frontline” has streamed most of its documentaries free since 2002 (www.pbs.org/frontline), part of an effort to reach younger audiences than typically tune in to PBS. The online viewing to date of “Bush’s War,” which was broadcast in two parts on March 24 and 25, is an estimated “10 times the traffic of a normal show for us,” said Sam Bailey, the program’s director of new media and technology. Viewers are also sticking around much longer than they usually do on the site, typically for 7 to 10 minutes.

David Fanning, the executive producer of “Frontline,” which has been on the air for 25 years, attributed the Web interest in this particular show to “timing, no question,” noting that PBS had been the only network taking such a comprehensive look back at the Iraq war around the time of the anniversary.

But “Frontline,” which is produced by WGBH in Boston, has also worked to improve the online video experience. With the help of a $5 million MacArthur Foundation grant last year, a new full-screen video player was introduced on the “Frontline” site in time for “Bush’s War.”

Viewers watching the documentary, which drew material from more than 40 past “Frontline” programs, also found an interactive, annotated timeline on terrorism over roughly three decades, including 175 embedded video clips and links to full transcripts of more than 400 “Frontline” interviews. The material remains archived on the site, along with many “Frontline” films.

The program is developing an affiliate video player that will allow “Frontline” video to be used on other media organizations’ Web sites, but still be served by the PBS server, so “our nonprofit, noncommercial-generated content can be out there in the marketplace,” Mr. Fanning said. “That’s the real dream.”

This aired on Australian tv on Tuesday night. Really good. Not anything new, but absolutely the perfect 'summary' for someone.

Earnie Shavers said:
This aired on Australian tv on Tuesday night. Really good. Not anything new, but absolutely the perfect 'summary' for someone.

Really?? I'm glad it aired on Australian tv. I hope it airs all around the world.

Back
Top Bottom