from the people who brought you another 4 years of GWB ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
"In your re-election, God has graciously granted America—though she doesn't deserve it—a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. We the people expect your voice to be like the clear and certain sound of a trumpet. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly. Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you. Had your opponent won, I would have still given thanks, because the Bible says I must (I Thessalonians 5:18). It would have been hard, but because the Lord lifts up whom He will and pulls down whom He will, I would have done it. It is easy to rejoice today, because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term. Undoubtedly, you will have opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech, and limited government. You have four years—a brief time only—to leave an imprint for righteousness upon this nation that brings with it the blessings of Almighty God." - Bob Jones III, of Bob Jones University.

yes, i know not everyone who voted for Bush would give Bob Jones the time of day, but the fact remains that the mobilization of the Religious Right helped win this election for Bush. is this the beginning of the "healing" that we were promised in GWB's acceptance speech?

thoughts?

I read that today Irvine..so I guess I'm a "pagan" :shrug:

I just can't get worked up over someone like Bob Jones. Of course it's extremely offensive, and I certainly hope the President repudiates it. I think that would be a good way to begin healing.

That's right, it's not GWB's fault that some wacko gave this speech. Bob Jones is notoriously anti-Catholic. They think we are some Satanic cult or some such total garbage. I don't for a minute think that GWB is anti-Catholic. Some members of his own family have been baptised Catholic, his brother is married to a Catholic and they are raising the kids Catholic. I'm not worried about this.

nbcrusader said:
Well, if we are going to project the words of every wacko on GWB, then we will have lots to say and little to accomplish.

so you are not aware of W's relationship and connection to bob jones?

deep said:

so you are not aware of W's relationship and connection to bob jones?

He did use them in the South Carolina primary in 2000 after McCain won the New Hampshire primary. It was politics as usual, to say the least. I'm not aware of a big-time connection--am I missing out on some important info perhaps?

Bob Jones played no significant role in the 2004 elections.

Like Falwell, quotes from Bob Jones only appear in the media in an effort to portray conservative Christians in a negative light.

nbcrusader said:
Like Falwell, quotes from Bob Jones only appear in the media in an effort to portray conservative Christians in a negative light. [/B]

Then why don't you see conservative Christians speaking out en masse and denouncing this idiocy? Does Bush, as a conservative Christian speak out against Bob Jones on CNN? Does his administration? Do the conservative Church leaders get on TV or write articles in major papers and call this lunatic a lunatic?

They crow loudly at moderate Muslims not denouncing fundamentalist clerics, yet I don't see conservative Christians standing up to people like Falwell and Bob Jones openly, in the mass media, and completely marginalizing them. It's a sort of hypocrisy that leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

I would not mind seeing this stuff denounced, but it probably won't happen. If they want the Muslims to denounce their fundamentalist nutjob branch, they really should denounce their own.

Last edited:
anitram said:
Then why don't you see conservative Christians speaking out en masse and denouncing this idiocy? Does Bush, as a conservative Christian speak out against Bob Jones on CNN? Does his administration? Do the conservative Church leaders get on TV or write articles in major papers and call this lunatic a lunatic?

That has already happened. You seem to forget the power of the so called "Moral Majority" is essentially gone, largely because of criticism or rejection within the church bodies.

anitram said:

They crow loudly at moderate Muslims not denouncing fundamentalist clerics, yet I don't see conservative Christians standing up to people like Falwell and Bob Jones openly, in the mass media, and completely marginalizing them. It's a sort of hypocrisy that leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

Reasonable, level-headed Muslims and Christians tend not to receive a lot of attention from the media. Imagine that.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Reasonable, level-headed Muslims and Christians tend not to receive a lot of attention from the media. Imagine that.

:yes: ....and as a reasonable, level-headed Christian, I have better things to do and more important causes to speak out about than to go around calling people "lunatics". Maybe he is a lunatic, but I can sleep at night without going on some rant on national TV. I'd rather be defined by speaking out for what I AM and not what I'm not.

verte76 said:
I would not mind seeing this stuff denounced, but it probably won't happen. If they want the Muslims to denounce their fundamentalist nutjob branch, they really should denounce their own.

Who is "they"?

Bob Jones gets press because someone looks for his quotes.

Fanatical muslims get press because they blow up something.

Oh, hell, another silly post. I was referring to the Bush Administration distancing itself from Bob Jones, but really, they've already done that. If Bush shared any of the anti-Catholic venom that is part of the philosophy of Bob Jones I think we'd know it. He sure as hell wouldn't have Catholics in his cabinet, and he does.
Damn. I'm embarrassed. :reject:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
... and conservative Christians don't get press b/c they live happy, fulfilling lives. :wink:

I've said this before, but Will Durant once wrote that "virtue makes no news". He was right, don't you think?

verte76 said:

I've said this before, but Will Durant once wrote that "virtue makes no news". He was right, don't you think?

Yep! Now that I think about it, the only time I've ever been published was when I went on a pissy rant and sent it in as an editorial.

speedracer said:

This is most certainly true. I believe there are moral muslims out there, but the ones who make the news are far from it. Same thing with most of these "Christians" or "Catholics" who are on a campaign to harass. I think could be the media's agenda to bring down people who practice their faith with enough decency not to intrude those who choose not to.

nbcrusader said:

Like Falwell, quotes from Bob Jones only appear in the media in an effort to portray conservative Christians in a negative light.

It also serves to render the liberal Christians invisible. :down:

sd

anitram said:

You're putting a misguided man who believes God has anointed GWB for Christianity on the same level as Muslim clerics who believe in the mass murder of those who will not follow their religion?? That's the kind of hypocrisy that makes me sick. :|

Sherry Darling said:

It also serves to render the liberal Christians invisible. :down:

sd

Originally posted by verte76
That's the absolute maddening truth. So many people don't even know we're out here.
Both of you speak the truth. I always thought of liberal Christians being non-white, gay, or "Jenna Jameson types of Christians" until I met some of you guys.

Macfistowannabe said:

Both of you speak the truth. I always thought of liberal Christians being non-white, gay, or "Jenna Jameson types of Christians" until I met some of you guys.

Wow! I'm glad you're here then. Maybe we can Free Your Mind a little.

Jesus was one of the greatest liberals to walk the planet.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow! I'm glad you're here then. Maybe we can Free Your Mind a little.

Jesus was one of the greatest liberals to walk the planet.

Absolutely. Every single encounter he had with the political and *relilgious* establishments of His day demonstrate this. "The first shall be last and the last first". There's never been a stronger challenge to the status quo. :)

Peace,
SD

Back
Top Bottom