Friends with opposing political views - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I have one son who is an ultra liberal Democrat and another who is an ultra conservative young Republican and I respect both of their veiwpoints.
I think that's really cool. You can rest easy knowing you've raised your kids to be open minded and make their own political decisions.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I have one son who is an ultra liberal Democrat and another who is an ultra conservative young Republican and I respect both of their veiwpoints.
BAW.....
Just got off the phone with my son 10 minutes ago who before we hung up, I was pounding the arm of the couch saying he can't think/speak that way.
Even if he is my son. I wasn't quite so accommodating when, as he put it, "Teresa Hines Kerry should shut up and step back where she belongs untill after the election". Yes I want Kerry elected, but I just go off on anyone stating someone should stay in some pre-conceived place.
But then we agreed to meet for lunch tomorrow. So all's well. For the moment.
(just for the record he was a staunch Bush supporter - last year)

Edited to say: Then I mentioned I really like Keith Oberman, who he was also watching on MSNBC at the time, and he said "that's just because you're a democrat?? Lunch will be interesting tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:32 PM
The majority of the loved ones in my life have opposing view than I. I still love them the same. Some I talk politics with, some I don't.

This week I've been out of town at a convention. I was speaking to some collegues of mine and we got into the discussion of politics(which seems impossible not to this close to the election). But I heard the most disturbing thing I've ever heard. There was a group of us talking about the election, people from all over who were in the same industry as I. One girl brings up the fact that she's embarassed by how the president still can't speak proper english. One of the men in the group started to jump all over her and called her ignorant and intolerant. He said "you can't judge him because of that, that's just how Texans speak." He didn't know that my co-worker and I are from Texas. I couldn't believe that people have this stereotype of Texas, especially a conservative. I was dumbfounded and crushed. I've never been more embarassed that W's from Texas than that at that moment.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I have friends from all different walks of life. I can tolerate different viewpoints even though I may not agree. The only thing I cannot tolerate is racism. If that were to happen that person would be crossed out.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:09 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Nothing is worse than going on a huge rant about Bush then having a good friend look at you and say, "I'm a Republican, April."

My mother has done that about a million times. She and I have different personalities, I'm like my dad. She actually thinks it's funny. I don't.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:15 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:32 AM
I could not tollerate one friend after they went left, and kept on driving. Justifying mass murder and saying the world would be better off after a genocide (wiping out Israel) was off-putting. Anyway I have new friends, better friends - apolitical friends.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:59 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I could not tollerate one friend after they went left, and kept on driving. Justifying mass murder and saying the world would be better off after a genocide (wiping out Israel) was off-putting. Anyway I have new friends, better friends - apolitical friends.
Yeah, I avoid hanging out with people that believe that the world would be better off after a genocide too.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 01:32 PM
There's a verse from a Billy Joel song I particularly like:

I believe I've passed the age
of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight
I once believed in causes too
I had my pointless point of view
But life went on no matter who was wrong or right