French shrinks in NYC after 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm not trying to be an :censored:hole about this, but I just remembered something. Some mental health workers came to New York City right after 9/11 to work with people who had emotional problems after the attack. Some of these people were French. Some were financed by the French-based NGO Doctors Without Borders. Some Americans are irked at the French government, but gosh, don't take it out on every French man, woman, and child if you are pissed off at Chirac. That's not fair. After the current controversies and disputes are history, we'll still be friends. I can get a little sensitive about mental health workers for obvious reasons--OK, if you don't know, I'm autistic. Anyway, these guys sound cool. :yes: :yes:

Last edited:
French people trying to do therapy in New York? That IS strange! Freud was German or Dutch, wasn't he, and the FRENCH think they can help trauma victims? (wtf!) that is, "french" for "i don't understand that"...verte, did they actually *help* anyone?

(enquiring minds want to know) LOL!

What do the french know about trauma?

WWII, the guillatines during the revolution of '87, meeting English passengers from the channel tunnel and having to carry heavy luggage, there is very little that does relate to tall buildings being crashed and toppled...the whole thing just seems "caviar" like, but what would you expect?

Here in the Bay Area, the french had to come in to build our rapid transit train cars, after we laid the tracks for express service for commuters and shoppers, moving in and out of San Francisco, isn't that a kick? so, i say, perhaps we NEED THE FRENCH! WE NEED THE FRENCH! WE....oh fudge, that is just naive. (evian spelled backwards) LOL!

Plus, there would be the language barrier...too many ways the whole "session" would be mostly a waste of time, for anyone involved :sad:

Did anyone here get to talk to these foreign psychologists? I am sure they were trying their hardest to understand our pain and suffering, as we do their french menu's...at least there are delis in NY that carry some varieties of wine and cheese, so they will not feel too uncomfortable while they stay in our fair land:)! Bon Jour, our french helpers, please enjoy the "residances" of this grande citee, we luv you dears, we wish you all the best, and many cures for mental illness, too! (Anything is better than two aspirin and a dull phone conversation, imo:eeklaugh: )

ok, i'll defer to other more sane responses now, adieu!

I don't understand :confused:

Verte are you saying that people are not getting the psychological help they need because the doctor happens to be French? Unfortunately people are that ignorant....Look at the comics and talk shows that make jokes about the French, it's suddenly alright to perpetuate stereotypes. I guess ethnic sensitivity only extends to those agree with Dubya. :shrug:

Debbie, I'm pretty sure that the French Pscychologists can speak english fluently enough to take care of American patients.

DebbieSG: Freud was Austrian (his mothertoungue was german)

daisybean: I guess you're right, everyone from M?decins Sans Fronti?res who's on a mission on a country where they have to speak English can speak english.
But it's not surprising they start to bash ngo's like M?decins Sans Fronti?res - they also reported about the consequences of dirty amunition of the last Iraq war. So no wonder that there are people interested to discredit this great organisation.

Klaus

I'm sorry, that post was about as clear as mud. :eek: :eek: What happened was that there was a shortage of mental health professionals in NYC after 9/11. So many people needed therapy after such a horrible trauma. So Doctors Without Borders sent in some therapists. Some of them were French. I guess my point is that plenty of French are willing to help Americans if we need it and they agree with the objectives. They were as horrified at 9/11 as anyone else, and came to help Americans who needed help badly. Gosh, I'll try not to post any more 2 AM Nonsense Notes From Hell.

gabrielvox said:
Debbie do you ever have anything half intelligible to say?
if you have a problem with another forum member contact one of the mods

if you chose to insult other forum member you won't even have contact one of the mods, they will contact you

Klaus said:
DebbieSG: Freud was Austrian (his mothertoungue was german)

daisybean: I guess you're right, everyone from M?decins Sans Fronti?res who's on a mission on a country where they have to speak English can speak english.
But it's not surprising they start to bash ngo's like M?decins Sans Fronti?res - they also reported about the consequences of dirty amunition of the last Iraq war. So no wonder that there are people interested to discredit this great organisation.

Klaus

Yeah, they've got "dirt", shall we say, on quite a few governments. I wasn't talking about language stuff. But I'm really concerned with all of the French-bashing that's going on in the States these days. You'd think they'd bombed six countries and committed all sorts of war crimes or whatever when they merely won't kiss anyone's :censored:. They are talking about the UN vote on the news.

Salome said:
if you have a problem with another forum member contact one of the mods

if you chose to insult other forum member you won't even have contact one of the mods, they will contact you

Yeah, it was gettin kinda lonely, not being called for being offensive...:D

Guess its perfectly alright to make derogatory comments about French people right about now.

Who's next, the Chinese?

gabrielvox said:
Guess its perfectly alright to make derogatory comments about French people right about now.
as soon as I get complaints by french forum members the right steps will be taken

my ppl tell me there is a movement in America.
In this movement we will no longer go to McDonald's and order "French-Fries"
If my ppl get their way..we will all be going to McDonald's and ordering..
"Freedom
Fries":angry: from here on out:angry:

true story:yes:

thank u-

DB9:censored:

Last edited:
verte76 said:

So Doctors Without Borders sent in some therapists. Some of them were French. I guess my point is that plenty of French are willing to help Americans if we need it and they agree with the objectives.

Lafayette helped the rebelling colonies during the American Revolution.

Want more information about that? I'm not totally clear how it came about, so don't come to me...

I do know that he acted alone.

Liberty! and freedom for all...even those Frenchmen and Frenchwomen who stayed in France and built us a great statue!
:) I try to be intelligent, the details do trip me up, sorry!

Unfortunetaly I tend to agree with gabrielvox. I?ve seen lots of posts bashing and mocking French people here lately. I don?t like that either. I think it?s prejudiced and immature. And I?m not French.

Ok, ok, the French bashing is contrary to what this thread is about. Isn't anyone apart from Verte76 willing to say they appreciate what France DO do for America?
You're grateful when the chips are down, its nice to say it every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom