French scientist calls Gore a 'crook' and... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Why won't Al Gore Debate?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59470

Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Why don't you debate the points DrTeeth brought up after you said earlier that you are waiting for such rebuttals?

Is waiting cheaper? http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/r...daClimate.html

Can we risk it, or afford it, to play this lame "Let's look who is right!" game?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #33
She's the One

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Can I ask my question again, the one that no one here will answer?

Question: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?

Maybe this is the thread where I get an answer!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Here's one: Remember the depiction of Florida drowning, beginning to be covered by the ocean? Well apparently, that picture was- get this- "based on a water level rise that is 5 times higher than the high end of the worst-case scenario given by scientists who thought the UN report was too conservative."
An exageration...
Quote:

One more interesting thing, taken directly from Beck's book that I found funny: "You seem to be criticized only if you say there will be less devastation. When Gore says there will be more, he's not only embraced, he wins Oscars."

But, if it doesn't bother you guys....

This doesn't contradict anything, it just says it won't be as severe and quick...

Hey, but keep pretending we can ignore the issue.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

OK. So, let me get this straight. Because Al Gore has made incorrect statements, global warming must be made up?

Bullshit logic.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Why won't Al Gore Debate?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59470
Why would Gore debate scientists? Let scientists debate scientists.

Why don't you debate?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Why don't you debate?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Can I ask my question again, the one that no one here will answer?

Question: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?

Maybe this is the thread where I get an answer!
My guess is that you'll get something that goes like this: it is negatively impacting the economy to have to bring the industrial sector up to standards that may be unnecessary. And it's also bad for the government to intrude into the business of private corporations (individual people's bedrooms and vaginas are totally different).

But I'd love a less predictable, more out-there answer.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #39
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

But I'd love a less predictable, more out-there answer.
Hell, I'd love an answer.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
OK. So, let me get this straight. Because Al Gore has made incorrect statements, global warming must be made up?

Bullshit logic.
Huh? When did I ever say it was made up? And when did I ever say we should ignore the issue, BVS? Sheesh, talk about exaggerations...

The condition that we leave this planet in is important, sure. I'm all for not polluting or littering and all that good stuff. But the alarmism out there, mixed with the lies and exaggerations of AlGore's followers really make it hard for me to put global warming high on my list of important issues. What, all of a sudden, is so bad about there being skeptics who have facts to back them up and happen to point out some lies that everyone seems to not care about? Considering we've gone from worrying about global cooling to global warming back to cooling and now back to warming again, it's hard to take seriously and believe what is out there and presented to us. Is this not the same group of people in this forum who once told me to "challenge and question everything?"

And if you want to talk about bullshit logic, philly, how about martha's statement: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?"

Fair question, but that's like me saying, "Alright, I want all of you here to give me $1000. Now, I want you to pick a number 1-10. If you happen to pick the same number I was thinking of, I'll give you your money back. Assuming you don't pick the right number, I'll donate it all to charity."

Would you give me $1000? I don't think you would. And it's not because you don't like charity (just like how I'm not against helping the planet). What if the amount changed to $1 instead of $1000? I'd probably get a few more people willing to play along. The problem is the extremity of it, you see. I'm happy to not litter and to turn off lights when I leave a room. But telling me what cars to buy? Telling my what light bulbs I can and can't have? Telling me that global warming is as great a threat to me as radical Islamists? Telling me that Florida is going to be underwater WAY, WAY sooner than it actually ever would be? Sorry, those lies and irresponsible presentations just turns me off entirely.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Anyone who makes a comparison between those concerned about humans' effect on global warming and Hitler is an idiot.
Yup. And if that is not enough, Beck also compared terrorists to child rapists.

Basically he was arguing against the fact that U.S. foreign policy towards Muslim countries combined with rising racism against Muslims is causing more Muslims to radicalize and become terrorists. It makes sense to me, not that terrorism is justified.

Glenn Beck said that terrorists are terrorists definitely not for this reason but just because they are crazy people and they want to kill us for no reason at all. This is one of many things that I hate so much about neo-conservatives. All they say is that terrorists attack us because they are crazy or they hate that we are free or rich. Which of course is not the real reason.

Anyway, Beck was saying that if someone becomes prejudice against child rapists, that is not going to compell them to go out and rape more children and will not compell more adults to be rapists. So if people are prejudice against Muslims, why would that want to make them terrorize more? This argument made me want to break a hole in my T.V., seriously. Child rapists are not a group of people. They are not a team. So if i'm prejudice against a child rapist, why would that want to make another adult a child rapist. Whereas if I were prejudice against Muslims, that would want to make other Muslims get angry at me, or hurt me, or kill me.

I agree, he is a bit of an idiot.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Huh? When did I ever say it was made up? And when did I ever say we should ignore the issue, BVS? Sheesh, talk about exaggerations...
Well Beck is your hero and he's a denier, I figured you'd follow suit.
Quote:

The condition that we leave this planet in is important, sure. I'm all for not polluting or littering and all that good stuff. But the alarmism out there, mixed with the lies and exaggerations of AlGore's followers really make it hard for me to put global warming high on my list of important issues. What, all of a sudden, is so bad about there being skeptics who have facts to back them up and happen to point out some lies that everyone seems to not care about? Considering we've gone from worrying about global cooling to global warming back to cooling and now back to warming again, it's hard to take seriously and believe what is out there and presented to us. Is this not the same group of people in this forum who once told me to "challenge and question everything?"
Yeah, I must have slept through the whole global cooling scare.

Quote:

And if you want to talk about bullshit logic, philly, how about martha's statement: If the global warming people are wrong, what has been lost in getting people to conserve and be more mindful of their impact on the environment? If the global warming people are right, what has been lost ignoring their warnings?"

Fair question, but that's like me saying, "Alright, I want all of you here to give me $1000. Now, I want you to pick a number 1-10. If you happen to pick the same number I was thinking of, I'll give you your money back. Assuming you don't pick the right number, I'll donate it all to charity."
How is this a comparible analogy in anyone's land of logic?

Quote:

The problem is the extremity of it, you see. I'm happy to not litter and to turn off lights when I leave a room. But telling me what cars to buy? Telling my what light bulbs I can and can't have? Telling me that global warming is as great a threat to me as radical Islamists? Telling me that Florida is going to be underwater WAY, WAY sooner than it actually ever would be? Sorry, those lies and irresponsible presentations just turns me off entirely.
See, your thinking is far too narrow right here. Not littering and turning off lights is nice, but it won't change shit.

People see someone say it's as great a threat to me as radical Islam, and they get so up in arms, because right now you have been given an enemy to rally under. But if someone told you it would have been a great threat 2 decades ago, you would have laughed because you'd still be worried about the communists, so you wouldn't have done anything about terrorism. The right often lacks the ability to look forward. I find it funny that you get up in arms about this comparison, but are fine with comparing Gore to Hitler, very telling.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

He probably confused the Gulf Stream theory with global cooling, which is that global warming causes the north American ice to melt and streaming through the Saint Lawrence stream into the Atlantic, where the masses of sweat water would stop the Gulf stream from carrying warm water to the north which then would cause the temperatures to go down again in the north, causing a cooling in the northern hemisphere.
But more recent findings have concluded that this might well remain just theory and the Gulf stream wouldn't break down due to the meltdown.

It's interesting that everything that requires more action than reducing littering and turing off lights is just exaggeration and lies.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #44
She's the One

My question was quoted, but not answered.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What has been lost then you could read in the IPCC report, or in the paper I linked to about the costs Florida might be facing if it ignores the threats of climate change.

Since scientists are no fortunetellers and no one has yet developed a time machine, of course all this is based on models and theories and not bulletproof fact, but nevertheless, if dozens of models are predicting almost the same and most of what the theories predict can already be seen in may parts of the world is it really reasonable to say that this is all crap and never going to happen?