French PM is sent 'terror letter'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3517894.stm

French PM is sent 'terror letter'
--------------------------------------

Mr Raffarin reportedly received the threats via Le Parisien newspaper French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin has received a letter from an unknown Muslim group that threatened to attack France, French officials say. A group calling itself Servants of Allah, the Powerful and Wise One sent the message via Le Parisien newspaper.

Anti-terrorism police have taken on the official inquiry into the threats against France and French interests abroad, the justice ministry stated.

The threats came five days after train bombs in Madrid killed 201 people.

"It is obviously not yet possible to assess the worth of this message," said the justice ministry in a statement.

Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy told Agence France Presse news agency that experts were analysing the threats.

Mixed stories

The two-page letter was delivered to the newspaper's offices early on Tuesday, sources close to the investigation told AFP.

Both Le Parisien and Le Monde said the letter was signed "Mosvar Barayev commando".

The signature was similar to Movsar Barayev, the leader of a Chechen group that took hundreds hostage in a Moscow theatre in October 2002 - and died during the siege.

Le Parisien's news director Christian de Villeneuve told AFP that the letter "threatens France with reprisal attacks" following the adoption earlier this month of the law banning the wearing of headscarves in state schools.

This is horrible. I hope nothing happens to any French officials. I don't approve of the headscarf ban but this isn't going to solve any problems, to say the least.

What's up with this? France wasn't even apart of the "Coalition of the Willing." And if this is over the dress code issue, in French publlic schools. I mean just how crazy is that?

This probably is nothing more than some radicals trying to take momentum created by the bombing in Madrid. I don't think there's much to worry about, I bet these people don't even know how to make a bomb.

Inis said:
What's up with this? France wasn't even apart of the "Coalition of the Willing." And if this is over the dress code issue, in French publlic schools. I mean just how crazy is that?

It worked in Spain. Maybe it will work with just a letter in France.

Back
Top Bottom