Freedom Tower - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
The Fly
 
misiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 61
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Freedom Tower

Most of the Freedom Tower designs (including this one) have been unimaginative and uninspiring and I continue to question the logic of such a visible target and the question of what incentives (economic?) tenants would have to occupy Freedom Tower. Who would want to house their headquarters there? The United Nations should agree to lease the top floors Perhaps then they'll begin to understand Bush's logic of taking the fight to the terrorists.
__________________

__________________
misiek is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 09:49 AM
clean up - aisle 4.
__________________

__________________
Se7en is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 09:49 AM
I really hate that 9/11 has turned America into a nation of suspected cowards.

The higher the better. If they gave me space at the top of that building, I'd move right in. Building (as some suggested) a couple of smaller buildings on the site would feel to me like admitting a defeat; a loss of spirit, courage and pride. It'd be like letting them tell us "No, you can't aspire. You can't reach. You have to be afraid for the rest of your lives." THAT would be a victory to the terrorists, to have so radically changed the nature of the American spirit from one of daring and pride to one of municipal fear.

Do you think it would be a good idea to outlaw the building of any new skyscrapers because they are "visible targets"? If so, why not just demolish all the ones we already have...for the sake of low visibility. Why don't we just crawl into our cellars and set up housekeeping while we're at it? Do you really want America to succumb to this threat in that fashion? Do you really want us to be that afraid? "Oh, no, we can't build any more high buildings--it's too scary. We have to cower before the threats of our enemies..."

My Daddy is an American. He taught me that if someone knocks you down, you stand right back up and spit in their eye.

"It's nothing against you to fall down flat,
But to lie there, that's disgrace."
--Edmund Vance Cook
__________________
echo0001 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001
I really hate that 9/11 has turned America into a nation of suspected cowards.

The higher the better. If they gave me space at the top of that building, I'd move right in. Building (as some suggested) a couple of smaller buildings on the site would feel to me like admitting a defeat; a loss of spirit, courage and pride. It'd be like letting them tell us "No, you can't aspire. You can't reach. You have to be afraid for the rest of your lives." THAT would be a victory to the terrorists, to have so radically changed the nature of the American spirit from one of daring and pride to one of municipal fear.

Do you think it would be a good idea to outlaw the building of any new skyscrapers because they are "visible targets"? If so, why not just demolish all the ones we already have...for the sake of low visibility. Why don't we just crawl into our cellars and set up housekeeping while we're at it? Do you really want America to succumb to this threat in that fashion? Do you really want us to be that afraid? "Oh, no, we can't build any more high buildings--it's too scary. We have to cower before the threats of our enemies..."

My Daddy is an American. He taught me that if someone knocks you down, you stand right back up and spit in their eye.

"It's nothing against you to fall down flat,
But to lie there, that's disgrace."
--Edmund Vance Cook
"Suspected" cowards? Huh?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


"Suspected" cowards? Huh?
A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that nobody will want to use\be in the space at the top of another tall building at that site. This is not yet proven...so, 'suspected'.
__________________
echo0001 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
War Child
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 613
Local Time: 02:49 PM
I hate that it's called the "Freedom Tower". Couldn't they have come up with something a little more imaginitive than that. Jeez.

The word Freedom has lost its validity due to Bush's over-use of it. It's been used more than a Tijuanan whore.
__________________
tackleberry is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
The word Freedom has lost its validity due to Bush's over-use of it. It's been used more than a Tijuanan whore.
Kind of like that saying?

But, I agree in sentiment. "The Freedom Tower" is kind of a lame name. I mean, you'd think they could come up with something a little better than that.

Though, I guess when you think about it, "The Statue of Liberty" really isn't that inventive of a name, either.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001


A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that nobody will want to use\be in the space at the top of another tall building at that site. This is not yet proven...so, 'suspected'.
I understand now, thanks.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


I understand now, thanks.
Cool.
__________________
echo0001 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 02:49 PM
"Freedom Tower" does sound rather hackneyed. But I guess they don't care about that, considering what happened at the site the name makes sense.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Let's call it the "Reagan Tower" if you have "freedom fatigue".
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Let's call it the "Reagan Tower" if you have "freedom fatigue".
The World Trade Center seems logical enough. I imagine that's going to be its formal name anyway.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:49 PM
"Cheney Tower"

If Dickie croaks it before the completion.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 02:49 PM
I wouldn't want them to use the name of any politician, no matter how popular. I'd rather they used "Freedom Tower" than "Reagan Tower". But then I don't really object to "Freedom Tower" even if it is a bit cheesy.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Nice edit financeguy - a more reasonable suggestion.
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com