Freedom IS Free - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

If you mean the REAL freedom of walking the streets at 3 a.m. without having fear to get mugged or raped, without needing a weapon to defend yourself, free (or comparatively cheap) healthcare and universities, yeah.

We might also have a tiny little place left for you, iron horse.
I saw the movie "Crash" recently. Any desire to ever visit the US kinda vanished after that.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:54 AM
wow. you DO realize that that document hasnt always existed.....and that a lot of blood was shed to make it possible for us to have such freedom and democracy?

Old 09-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
wow. you DO realize that that document hasnt always existed.....and that a lot of blood was shed to make it possible for us to have such freedom and democracy?
Depends who you ask, i guess in some countries is freedom * to take what you can if you are the strongest and the richest*

and in my opnion is a two party system not democrazy,........

Old 09-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
If you mean the REAL freedom of walking the streets at 3 a.m. without having fear to get mugged or raped, without needing a weapon to defend yourself, free (or comparatively cheap) healthcare and universities, yeah.

To be fair here, there are plenty of areas in plenty of European cities that I wouldn't walk the streets at 3 a.m. Belfast, Belgrade, London, Dublin, Paris, etc, all have their dodgy areas.

Most German and Austrian cities seem pretty safe though.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:01 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
People are very welcome here.
I am not singling out Vienna (I love the city) but let us not pretend that there are not racist attitudes among some of its inhabitants. Again, just in the interests of fairness.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

To be fair here, there are plenty of areas in plenty of European cities that I wouldn't walk the streets at 3 a.m.
And to be fair, that isn't unique to Europe or America or anywhere. There's probably more unsafe areas in Australia than there are safe. We're by no means a dangerous country and crime is at a normal rate, but shady is shady and it's everywhere. I think our stats are something like a car is stolen every 3 minutes and someone is mugged every 11 minutes. It's not good.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
There's probably more unsafe areas in Australia than there are safe. We're by no means a dangerous country and crime is at a normal rate, but shady is shady and it's everywhere. I think our stats are something like a car is stolen every 3 minutes and someone is mugged every 11 minutes. It's not good.

Really? I'm going there in a week......glad you warned me. I'd always assumed Australia was very safe for some reason.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #23
Jesus Online

Well, define safe, I spose is the point. I'd never recommend you walk around the city on your own after dark, and to definitely be careful in certain areas. Sydney is sprawled out, and the suburbs can vary immensely in just a few kms.

But we're nice people!

Where you going, exactly?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Sydney and Melbourne.......possibly more.......will probably stick to the central areas.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
Jesus Online

Good choices. Have a great trip!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I will try not to drink too much........
Old 09-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Re: Re: Re: Freedom IS Free

Quote:

Is that so. Do gays and poor people just feel oppressed then? They aren't really?
Your country is one of the most warped in this so called free world. Hate to say it. You all deserve better, but dont seem to want it. Very strange.

OmG gays and pOor pPl are OppREsSed!11 [/bitch,whine, moan]

They are not oppressed. The gay population in the US is very free compared to a lot of other places. They may not be allowed to marry in every state, but that's because every state hasn't lost it's morals.

The poor in this country are not oppressed. Yes, they may be in a harder situation than those of wealthier backgrounds, but there is nothing that is keeping them from achieving a better life. You want oppressed poor? Go to India.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: Re: Freedom IS Free

Quote:

Is that so. Do gays and poor people just feel oppressed then? They aren't really?
Your country is one of the most warped in this so called free world. Hate to say it. You all deserve better, but dont seem to want it. Very strange.

Damn, I didn't know poverty and homophobia were limited to the US. Well, now I know!

Have fun on your trip financeguy, my aunt had her honeymoon in Sydney last year and absolutely loved it.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Freedom IS Free

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonoftelepunk

They may not be allowed to marry in every state, but that's because every state hasn't lost it's morals.
I generally agree with your other points, but this is just bigotry. The state is not the moral authority, thank you very much. Your religion may not recognize gay marriage, but other people shouldn't be subject to that.

(haha, this thread is turning into a gay marriage thead )
Old 09-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Freedom IS Free

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonoftelepunk
They may not be allowed to marry in every state, but that's because every state hasn't lost it's morals.
Not intending on turning this into yet another homosexuality debate, but I just wanted to comment on this...so, having morals means that you can deny people the chance to do something that straight people get to do every day (also, never mind the fact that the divorce rate among heterosexuals is quite high)?

Anywho, back to the topic at hand, personally, my view is that there's good and bad things about all countries. No one country is perfect or downright horrible.

Also, financeguy, yeah, do have fun on your trip . Australia, eh? I'm jealous. I want to visit that area of the world. Perhaps one day...

Angela