Free Speech = Don't Question the Media - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You can't question the media, unless you for sure know the reason media wants him to do well is because he's black.
How do you get your answer unless you ask the question? You have in effect created a presumption that cannot be challenged.

I find racism is abhorrent.

The itchy trigger finger to label someone a racist is also abhorrent.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:24 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

How do you get your answer unless you ask the question? You have in effect created a presumption that cannot be challenged.

I find racism is abhorrent.

The itchy trigger finger to label someone a racist is also abhorrent.
He didn't ask a question. He stated:
Quote:
"The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well - black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."
I agree that racism is abhorrent.
I agree there are itchy trigger fingers, and they are also abhorrent.

But I also find sitting back and allowing such ignorace to be abhorrent as well.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But I also find sitting back and allowing such ignorace to be abhorrent as well
But no one challenged the statement - whether or not the media was too generous with McNabb because he is an African American. It was far too easy to recklessly toss the racist label.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #19
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
It was far too easy to recklessly toss the racist label.
Exactly. And because the media at large does not like Rush, they were waiting for any crumb to pounce on.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:48 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But no one challenged the statement - whether or not the media was too generous with McNabb because he is an African American. It was far too easy to recklessly toss the racist label.
If Rush wanted to challenge the media he could have done it himself by asking if the praise was indeed warranted. But he didn't he ASSumed, and made an ass out of himself, which is something he does very well.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:53 AM
while the statement was pretty stupid, I don't think that it was something that he should have resigned or got fired over. I think to label someone a racist is a big deal, and one comment that talks about race in sports and media does not automatically brand someone.

And you have to understand. I hate this man. I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. But I think he should have said that it wasn't the smartest thing to say, explained himself and then went on with his job.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:06 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

He wasn't fired. He quit.

Let's not forget that.

Melon
Old 10-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure he finds comfort in that.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I know he resigned, which I said I didn't think he should have. I also don't think he should have gotten fired if anyone thought of doing that. He made it sound like his fellow commentators were uncomfortable with him. Don't know if that's true or not
Old 10-02-2003, 07:30 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Just for the record....even here in FYM the entire quote was not posted:

[Q]"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team." [/Q]

He did not criticize McNabb. He criticized the media, and made the observation that Philadelphia's defence was directly responsible for the teams success. However, since McNabb is and African American the spotlight was on him.

We do not have of speech. We have a bunch of sharks, that will turn a statement on its side to destroy a person.

Its Bullshit.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:38 PM   #26
New Yorker

He's still a racist ass. He even told a caller to "take the bone out of your lip and then call me back". So any remark would be taken as offensive.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:12 AM   #27
The Fly

Bottom line, McNabb is overrated because the media has hyped him up so much. Although McNabb has had a pretty bad year so far (my fantasy football record will attest to that), he is still a stud quarterback...a little hyped-up for sure, but still an exciting-premire quarterback.

As far as Rush's comments...I think this country has become way too sensitive to things. Society has suffered I think as a result of this. We all spend too much time making sure we don't offend anyone with what we say. And then, once someone does have an opinion, whoever disagrees with it will make a mountain out of an ant hill to discredit the remarks or in this case crush someone. Or place a label on that person. Pretty soon, there will be no more free speech in this country.

I can see what Rush means when he said the media wants a black quarterback to succeed. It's the truth. But, just because he is an innacurate passer doesn't mean McNabb's not a good role model or a good person. He is both of those things, actually. It is simply good for the NFL. There are not very many black quarterbacks in the NFL. By the way, why the Hell is Cordell Stewart still playing? He's horrible! It boasts the question "is it because the media wants a black quarterback to succed?" I don't think Rush's comment is racially motivated. Just a stab at the media. Afterall, Rush defended in one of the other pre-game shows there are not enough black coaches in the NFL.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:24 AM   #28
Refugee

As a football fan I can't think of many good "black" QB's. I don't say that as a white-supremisist, but as a fan of the NFL's history. Whether or not that's the NFL's fault, or the owners' faults, or the their college coaches' faults, or whatever, I do not know. For every Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, and uhhh...Rodney Peete, I can name 12 white QBs. On the flip side of the coin, I can't think of more than one or two dominating white running backs. Alscott of Tampa comes to mind, but of recent memory I can't think of any that match the likes of Sanders, Thomas, Dickerson, Payton, Smith, or Dorsett. Perhaps Rush wasn't too wrong about black men in the role of QB. Just for the record, I'm not anymore racist than the average American I simply think that QBs for some reason are mostly white and a black QB is an attention-getter

I agree with Rush to an extent. Last year the media made McNabb out to be the greatest QB of the year. He certainly led his team to the NFC finals, but he was average is his stats and sat out nearly half of the season. There were plenty of other QBs that had much better seasons, but for some reason McNabb was held on a pedistal. This is where I agree with Rush. He didn't deserve the extra attention, and he called the media on it. I applaude him for questioning the decision of the collective media.

I disagree, because McNabb isn't solely getting attention because of his skin color. He's a talent leader, who turned the Philadelphia Eagles into contentors (with the help of his teammates of course). To say that he was ONLY sensationalized because of his skin is touching on the truth of the matter, but disregarding the fact that he was the QB for the one of the hottest teams in the NFL. I never remember hearing Warren Moon's name mention at great length, despite playing for a decent team in Houston. McNabb got the same attention you saw from the likes of Kurt Warner in St. Louis, and Troy Aikman in Dallas. He turned a struggling team into a contender and deserves credit.

Rush spoke out and therefore must die. (LOL)...But isn't it true? I wish we'd all stop letting out of context phrases throw our worlds into a tailspin.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:33 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Let me just go on record saying I never catergorized Rush for being racist based on this comment. But I do however think he should have worded his statement different. I stand by my comment that this was not a "questioning of the media". Yes this society has becom way too PC. But it's become that way for a reason. The PC movement was created because there was just too much judgement and discrimination in this society. It's gone overboard, I understand that. But until everyone learns tolerance and love for their neighbor there will be a certain need for this. We can't have people expressing hate left and right. So where do you draw the line?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:01 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I heard an audio of this.

Based on that and having tuned into his program and heard other remarks- I can say he has a problem with race.