Fred Phelps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[color=royal blue]I'm wondering what people know or think about Fred Phelps, who basically promotes homophobia / hate, etc.

godhatesfags.com

He and his ppl are coming to my campus tonite to protest the fact that Freshman and other students have been required to read
The Laramie Project, and that the play is being shown on campus too. (About Matthew Shepherd)

Dunno if there's already been discussion about this topic before. But one of my friends on my floor, Matt, is basically organizing the counter protest that a lot of us are going to be attending. Some will be dressed as angels, which was also done at either Matthew's funeral or some memorial service.... like a human chain to keep him away from the respectful people.

Anyway. My friend Matt is gay and apparently Phelps is well known in the gay community. Matt's done a lot of work with the gay community on campus as well as following national events.... Our whole floor is going out to support Matt's counter protest. My uber best friend Matthew is also really upset about Phelps coming, he's big into politics and philosophy and stuff. (I know, confusing, a lot of Matthews.....)

Anyway. Just wondering what everyone thinks and why. Touchy subject around here recently, so I thought I'd bring it up to another world of people.
[/color]

:wave:

Last edited:
i'll tell you what i think of fred phelps...

I think he is an absolute repugnant waste of "humanity," and I think he deserves to be plunged into the furthest depths of hell.

:combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust:

Melon

I hope the protest against this homophobic creep is absolutely massive. The views of him and those like him are disgusting, they're cruel, they're violent, they're sick. And what's more, they represent a tiny minority of people.

That's why you need a huge demonstration against them, to show that the people on your campus REJECT their homophobic filth.
Show them that they're NOT welcome in your university, people there welcome diversity and won't tolerate the sort of prejudiced hatred this man is trying to spread.

Try and get your university newspaper or radio station to cover your protest too - send out a really clear message that homophobia isn't welcome on campus.

Good luck with the protest and let us know how it goes!

ABC has been here :tongue:

People know.

Oh.

People know.

The campus is big on it too......green ribbons against hate ...buttons saying HATE IS NOT A UMD VALUE.... we had T-shirt and poster making sessions last nite in our building's basement. I mean normally I would care a little about something like this. But it's like.... it's something that affects one of my friends. That doesn't make it worse, but that makes me more aware of what's going on. I've been reading about Phelps for a couple days now.

People know.

Last edited:
This man is evil and his ugly, hateful words make me want to cry.

You're doing a very good thing Mona...you should be proud of yourself.

OH THIS MAKES ME SO MAD I COULD SCREAM!

This man is the devil himself.

He claims to be a christian yet he has nothing but hate in his heart.

MONA YOU TELL MR. PHELPS THAT FISHY SAID FUCK YOU!

Sorry...it's just that this hits very close to home for me. My best friend Jeramee is gay and his dad is a Baptist preacher so you can guess how they reacted...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GO MONA GO if I had known I would so be there with you!

To quote Bono from the DC night 2...

"Not ONCE did Jesus mention whether someone was gay or straight"

It is not for us to judge.

My God.

That's all I can say.

I looked at that website--I had never seen it, though I had heard of it from John Aravosis' mailing list. It made me want to cry. I hope that Matthew Shepard's or Diane Whipple's families have never seen it.

Go, Mona. I think Jesus is on your side, and I'll be praying that your protests are peaceful but firm in their message. :)

Very sad......

You all said it .... nothing to add to it.

Peace (To ALL)

Re: i'll tell you what i think of fred phelps...

melon said:
I think he is an absolute repugnant waste of "humanity," and I think he deserves to be plunged into the furthest depths of hell.

Surely you are not recommending the death penalty, followed by his unforgiven condemnation to hell?

Seriously though, Phelps is so much in the minority with his extreme hatred, that when he came to conservative Christian Alabama, the buckle of the Bible Belt, he was shunned byt the local fundamentalists, who, believe it or not, believe that God LOVES homosexual people.

~U2Alabama

Fred Phelps is an ignorant asshat. I will celebrate his death.

Some people like to pledge money for however long he protests. The longer he stays, the more money is collected. Then the money goes to GLAAD or AIDS research or something.

I can't believe this man...I can't believe they let little children picket...these kids have NO IDEA what the signs mean that they are holding.

This man is a disgrace to Christians and the God he claims to represent.

Good for you Mona!! I'm so proud of you.

That's so sick and revolting :barf:

Of course people like that in no way represent all Christians-and how dare they call themselves Christians :mad:

I've never heard of this guy before, and I refuse to even click on his website b/c I know it will raise my blood pressure to unimaginable heights.

:down: :mad: :down:

What Melon and BAW and everyone else said. Christian?? :laugh: :down: That's an insult and a disgrace. :down:

Let us know how your protest works, i'm going to check out the school's website.

Back
Top Bottom