France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:29 AM
France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Chirac 'rejoices' as Saddam falls

LONDON, England (CNN) --French President Jacques Chirac says his country is "rejoicing" in the apparent collapse of the Iraqi dictatorship.

Chirac strongly opposed a U.S-led military attack on Iraq, preferring to work through the U.N. Security Council in supporting longer weapons inspections.

But he said in a statement released by the Elysee Palace Thursday: "France, like every democracy, is rejoicing over the collapse of Saddam Hussein's dictatorship, and hopes for a quick and effective end to the battle."

His foreign minister, Dominique de Villepin, added: "With the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime, a dark page has been turned."

The French daily newspaper La Liberation focused on the causes of the war, saying: "The successful military campaign in Iraq can only reassure the powerful U.S. that its vision of the world must be the right one.

"But its pretext for invading Iraq is... being proved wrong. For where are the weapons of mass destruction?"

Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, who committed his country's troops to war, was quoted as being "delighted" at pictures showing the toppling of President Saddam Hussein's symbols of power.

"People have seen today the scales of fear falling from the people of Iraq," a Downing Street spokesman added.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who opposed the war, was reported as saying he welcomed the sights from Baghdad as it was a sign that the conflict would be over soon.

CNN's Stephanie Halasz in Berlin said: "The overwhelming feeling among Germans was one of skepticism.

"How is the future of Iraq going to square up? Are the Iraqis capable of forming a democracy? And there is concern about those Iraqis who have died or who are injured."

Russian newspapers talked about Baghdad having been "taken and plundered," while there was disbelief that the Iraqi troops and regime could have dissolved so quickly.

Chirac, Schroeder and Russia's President Vladimir Putin are to meet this weekend to discuss a post-war Iraq, with the likely emphasis on pushing for an increased U.N. role.

Italy's La Repubblica criticized the anti-war grouping, saying in an editorial: "The battle lines are drawn and this time the countries that opposed the coalition war are ready to muscle in and demand a piece of the Iraqi pie."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ion/index.html

Old 04-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I'm sorry, but the only role chirac can play in post-war iraq is wiping the ass of the u.s. servicemen and women after they take a dump.
what an absolute joke....after all of their opposition they think they're reap any benefits from american and british blood spilled in the dessert? not in a million years buddy....makes me sick.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
I'm sorry, but the only role chirac can play in post-war iraq is wiping the ass of the u.s. servicemen and women after they take a dump.
what an absolute joke....after all of their opposition they think they're reap any benefits from american and british blood spilled in the dessert? not in a million years buddy....makes me sick.
I don't want to put words into your mouth, but by saying that France shouldn't get any benefits from Iraq because it was America and Britain who attacked Iraq, does that imply that you think it's acceptable for America and Britain to benefit from Iraq?

IMO the only consideration in this situation should be what's best for the Iraqi people and if that means that France (or any other country) will be involved in a post-war Iraq then that's entirely acceptable.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

that's absolutely true: the main concern IS the iraqi people.

so maybe if one of them needs THEIR ass wiped, france will do the right thing and step in to help.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
My question to moderators: is it ok to use that kind of language in the forum? I would like to practise my profane English here...
Old 04-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

i would like to recommend use of the smiley when using profanity, so as to protect those of us of a sensitive disposition.

(NB: i'm kidding. )
Old 04-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
War Child

Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Chirac 'rejoices' as Saddam falls

LONDON, England (CNN) --French President Jacques Chirac says his country is "rejoicing" in the apparent collapse of the Iraqi dictatorship.

Chirac strongly opposed a U.S-led military attack on Iraq, preferring to work through the U.N. Security Council in supporting longer weapons inspections.

His foreign minister, Dominique de Villepin, added: "With the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime, a dark page has been turned."

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who opposed the war, was reported as saying he welcomed the sights from Baghdad as it was a sign that the conflict would be over soon.

Can you say loss management?

Chirac, Schroeder and Russia's President Vladimir Putin are to meet this weekend to discuss a post-war Iraq, with the likely emphasis on pushing for an increased U.N. role.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that one... That meeting ought to be a real barn burner....

"increased UN role"- my ass..

Possible minutes from forthcoming meeting:

1. What the fuck do we do now?

2. List of 101 ways to kiss Iraqi ass and make it look like we actually wanted Saddam removed.

3. What the fuck do we do now?

I was wondering when these three cocksuckers were going to change stripes...

Typical Russian bullshit, just like the end of WWII. They wanted control of half of Japan even though they had nothing to do with the Pacific Theatre of Operations.

In closing, I'd just like to wish the three stooges luck in normalizing relations with the new gov't of a people they tried so desperately to screw over the past several weeks
Old 04-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Ok guys, I realize this is a very touchy subject, and, yes, there are a lot of high strung feelings right now.

But it doesn't excuse the language being used in this thread. There's a difference between "crap" and several words Mr. Griswald posted. And speaking of...."Typical Russian bullshit" doesn't belong here either.

Let's try to pick our language a bit better in the future.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Re: Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr
three cocksuckers
Was that really necessary?

Stupid pussy lickers...

Melon
Old 04-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Re: Re: Re: France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Was that really necessary?

Stupid pussy lickers...

Melon
This reminds me about the song Kitty from the Presidents of the United states of America.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Old 04-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Old 04-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm so tired of the French bashing, and any other country for that matter. So they didn't support the war. Many people throughout the world didn't support this war. He 'rejoices' in the fall of Saddam. All of us are. Just because he/we/ whoever didn't support the same means doesn't mean we can't be glad for the Iraqi people. Bush said himself he wanted the UN to take a larger role in the rebuilding. Some people can take that as being hypicritical. Just quit making this into a 'yeah America' thing you French suck. This should be a 'yeah Iraq' thing, they are on the brink of being liberated. Isn't that what this was about? (After the whole WMD thing). Think beyond your longitude and latitude.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

melon - the point was made

If this thread is deterred again, it's going to be closed.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #15
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Yeah, what she said.

Join Amnesty.