France, Germany react to overthrow of Saddam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm so tired of the French bashing, and any other country for that matter. So they didn't support the war. Many people throughout the world didn't support this war. He 'rejoices' in the fall of Saddam. All of us are. Just because he/we/ whoever didn't support the same means doesn't mean we can't be glad for the Iraqi people. Bush said himself he wanted the UN to take a larger role in the rebuilding. Some people can take that as being hypicritical. Just quit making this into a 'yeah America' thing you French suck. This should be a 'yeah Iraq' thing, they are on the brink of being liberated. Isn't that what this was about? (After the whole WMD thing). Think beyond your longitude and latitude.
:up: Well-said. It's like France, Germany and Russia have just been named the new Axis of Evil. Whatever Chirac, Schr?der or Putin had said in reaction to the fall of Saddam's regime, it would have been mocked anyway.

Electric Blue said:

:up: Well-said. It's like France, Germany and Russia have just been named the new Axis of Evil. Whatever Chirac, Schr?der or Putin had said in reaction to the fall of Saddam's regime, it would have been mocked anyway.

Yes. Would you believe the right-wingers are even boycotting a local French restaurant run by a French immigrant? A bunch of us are going to check that place out.

verte76 said:

Yes. Would you believe the right-wingers are even boycotting a local French restaurant run by a French immigrant? A bunch of us are going to check that place out.

How ridiculous! Do they honestly think that's a reasonable way of expressing their political opinions? They disagree with the decision of the French government so they're going to try to put a French restaurant out of business? Crazy, crazy people. :(

My PC's been down for a week. I come back and a lot has happened. Here's my 2 cents worth...

Coalition blood was spilled to liberate the people of Iraq. No way in HELL should France, Gemany, and Russia recieve bidding rights for any rebuilding contracts.

I also believe that the UN's only role in rebuilding Iraq should be in distributing humantiarian aid, if they want. They refused to put their necks out on the line and help the coalition.

USA, Britian, Spain, Australia and the Czech Republic sent troops. They should get the bidding rights.

80sU2isBest said:
My PC's been down for a week. I come back and a lot has happened. Here's my 2 cents worth...

Coalition blood was spilled to liberate the people of Iraq. No way in HELL should France, Gemany, and Russia recieve bidding rights for any rebuilding contracts.

I also believe that the UN's only role in rebuilding Iraq should be in distributing humantiarian aid, if they want. They refused to put their necks out on the line and help the coalition.

USA, Britian, Spain, Australia and the Czech Republic sent troops. They should get the bidding rights.

Yep, divide the warbooty. This must be written down in the bibble somewhere.

And why should Germany can get any of that blood money ? Without the use of de Armybases ( Rammstein ) , it would be a lot more diificult to get troops into Iraq. And do not forget the infra red guiding systems for bombs on Helicopters and airplanes. This is all german build.

80sU2isBest said:

So the war was only about "liberating" the Iraqi people, right? It was absolutely not about economic interests, right? Because that statement sounds an awful lot like looking after economic interests and not a lot like helping the people of Iraq.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Because that statement sounds an awful lot like looking after economic interests and not a lot like helping the people of Iraq.

Only to people who want to twist words.

It wasn't about economic interests, but as a result of the war there are economic decisions to be made and contracts to be had, and now that BLOOD HAS BEEN SPILLED, why should those governments that opposed the war and didn't lift a finger to help be given any consideration at all? Lost lives is a big price to pay for a nation's freedom. The coalition paid that price. The UN did not. Simple as that.

80sU2isBest said:

Only to people who want to twist words.

It wasn't about economic interests, but as a result of the war there are economic decisions to be made and contracts to be had, and now that BLOOD HAS BEEN SPILLED, why should those governments that opposed the war and didn't lift a finger to help be given any consideration at all? Lost lives is a big price to pay for a nation's freedom. The coalition paid that price. The UN did not. Simple as that.

I wasn't twisting your words, 80s, I was just inquiring about what you meant. Sorry if it seemed I was trying to twist your words.

You say "lost lives is a big price to pay for a nation's freedom" - I agree with that. And yet economic decisions aren't decisions about Iraq's freedom, they're decisions about which country should benefit financially from the war.

In any case, I think this whole thread is based on a hypothetical situation. It's not been suggested that France, Russia, Germany, or any other country which spoke out in opposition to the war is trying to establish contracts to 're-build' Iraq. So all of this is just plain speculation.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know, how about the people of Iraq deciding whom they want to do business with? Let them choose which companies they want to work and establish ties with.

The USA, UK, Germany, France, Russia, shame on all of you - you sound like vultures circling a carcass. The stench of corporate greed is overpowering.

After all that has been said and done the servicemen and woman as well as the people of Iraq should be the main concern. Who cares what France and whoever else has to say right now. Lets finish this and once things have settle in Iraq let some type of democracy begin for the Iraqi's!

I agree we (Russia) should get nothing in the rebuilding. We don't even want to be involved in the mess. But I thought it would be up to the Iraqis to choose a company for rebuilding...be it French, US or Thai:) Though Im sure they will make the "right choice".

anitram said:
Oh, I don't know, how about the people of Iraq deciding whom they want to do business with? Let them choose which companies they want to work and establish ties with.

The USA, UK, Germany, France, Russia, shame on all of you - you sound like vultures circling a carcass. The stench of corporate greed is overpowering.

I agree. This stinks.
*disgusting odors galore*
*holds nose*
:mad: :censored:

anitram said:

Russia is not among the vultures:wave: I have not heard a single statement by a Russian statesman that we want to get a rebuilding contract in Iraq. If you do have such info please enlighten me. I heard our politicians talk ONLY about UN getting a greater role in the rebuilding and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom