FOX News Refuses To Run "Rescue The Constitution" Ad - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:42 PM

Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 PM
If you want real news, watch BBC World.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Yeah, my order would be Sky (Australian), BBC World, then CNN if I want something US-centric.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
A TV station will not air something that is likely to offend its target audience. It was, most likely--and unsurprisingly, a business decision.
It isn't noted in the original post, but are we to assume that this ad IS running or will be run on CNN and MSNBC? Only FNC said no?

Also, no mention of this story at ccrjustice.org.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
It isn't noted in the original post, but are we to assume that this ad IS running or will be run on CNN and MSNBC? Only FNC said no?
I don't know, but it's possible. Most TV networks/stations run any ad attached to a check, so I wouldn't take it as a tacit endorsement. Again, it's business. FOX News, in a cost-benefit analysis, decided that the cost of running the ad outweighed the benefit of the ad revenue, likely due to considerations about its right-wing branding and target audience.

Economics, at the heart of the matter, is amoral.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #36
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:42 AM
According to the Chicago Tribune, yes, it's scheduled to run on MSNBC and CNN.

And ccrjustice.org's page for the ad in question boasts "This ad was rejected by Fox News. Find out Why" which I guess qualifies as a 'mention.'

However, while I generally agree with Earnie's characterization of Fox News' penchant for histrionic pandering (as well as the depressing signs of its spread to other networks), I think melon's right about the actual thread topic--there's no story here really.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I don't know, but it's possible. Most TV networks/stations run any ad attached to a check, so I wouldn't take it as a tacit endorsement. Again, it's business. FOX News, in a cost-benefit analysis, decided that the cost of running the ad outweighed the benefit of the ad revenue, likely due to considerations about its right-wing branding and target audience.

Economics, at the heart of the matter, is amoral.
Or...using your "target audience" theory, maybe the CCR felt running an ad accusing President Bush of "destroying the Constitution" on CNN or MSNBC would be an exercise in redundancy.
Or...maybe it's simply that the Center for Constitutional Rights choose Fox News because they wanted their ad to, you know, actually be seen.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Or...using your "target audience" theory, maybe the CCR felt running an ad accusing President Bush of "destroying the Constitution" on CNN or MSNBC would be an exercise in redundancy.
The Chicago Tribute, above, answers this point.

Quote:
Or...maybe it's simply that the Center for Constitutional Rights choose Fox News because they wanted their ad to, you know, actually be seen.
If that was the case, then they'd be better off advertising on the national broadcast networks. Cable television is so fragmented that no single station generally achieves more than a 3 rating, on average. That's on par with PBS.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
According to the Chicago Tribune, yes, it's scheduled to run on MSNBC and CNN.

And ccrjustice.org's page for the ad in question boasts "This ad was rejected by Fox News. Find out Why" which I guess qualifies as a 'mention.'

However, while I generally agree with Earnie's characterization of Fox News' penchant for histrionic pandering (as well as the depressing signs of its spread to other networks), I think melon's right about the actual thread topic--there's no story here really.
Did you have to "search" the site? http://ccrjustice.org doesn't list it under "latest news", or "press releases." Anyway, thanks for answering my question and providing the link.
I'm just in shock that the Chicago Trib would actually, and rightly, label Media Matters "a liberal advocacy group."

Surely they must know that will only cause people to question the newspaper's validity (or lack thereof).
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Would this be the same Danny Glover that has nothing but praise and admiration for Communist dictators like Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez? If so, are we really supposed to take seriously anything this man says about human rights, democracy, constitutional protections or freedom of the press?
So he's narrating it. Does that automatically make the argument of the ad any less valid? I didn't even know, until you brought it up, what Danny Glover's political views were, and I don't know how many others out there are aware of that. I highly doubt most viewers are going to be that concerned about Glover's personal views. I'd think they'd be more interested in the ad's topic.

Quote:
Viva Fox News Channel.
Ergh. If you like the channel, fine, and while I fully agree news stations should try and remain as neutral and calm as possible, if Fox News wants a more conservative leaning, just like some other media outlets have a bit more of a liberal leaning, that's fine-keep the balance and all that good stuff.

But the fact that Fox tries to insist it's "fair and balanced" is laughable. And, as pointed out, they're just as prone to hysteria as any other news channel is. The few times I've come across that channel all I see is a bunch of people yelling over each other, and it's obnoxious to listen to. I fully agree, the other news outlets should not dumb themselves down to that level, it's sad some are.

Anywho, regarding the actual topic at hand...meh. It's their channel, they don't have to run the ad if they wish not to, but it's a shame they aren't. I think that'd be one worth showing.

Angela
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I didn't say Viva CCR.
But I will!

It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no fortunate sonnnnn
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Earnie Shavers and Melon. You both nailed it.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
A TV station will not air something that is likely to offend its target audience. It was, most likely--and unsurprisingly, a business decision.
Thanks for your posts Melon. You state the obvious instead of the typical FYM liberal/conservative knee jerk rhetoric.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Thanks for your posts Melon. You state the obvious instead of the typical FYM liberal/conservative knee jerk rhetoric.

I'm glad you've noticed that. I'm trying very hard to go beyond mere ideology, and try to get to what I'd like to consider to be "common sense." Hopefully, that will allow us to progress and move forward in society, rather than to continue with the same-old partisan bickering. I think that it's the best hope for our future.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Fox News is too easy a target to take pot shots at, and it's already been taken care of in this thread.

The ad, however, is a pretty shit on production values for something going on national cable networks. How hard is it to put a camera on a freakin' dolley and to stick another light in front of Danny Glover so he looks like less of a raving lunatic?