Fox News -It's Only "Bad Language", Not Sexual Harassment - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Fox News -It's Only "Bad Language", Not Sexual Harassment

Sounds like harassment to me..so it's OK to use so called "bad language" as long as you don't touch or make sexual advances?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...&referral=SUPP

The complaint contains a list of statements alleged to have been made by network vice president Joe Chillemi to employees in the 20-person department, roughly one-half of whom are women.

According to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court in New York:

--Chillemi routinely used gross obscenities and vulgarities when describing women or their body parts (referring, for example, to women’s breasts as “tits” and declaring that something was “as useless as tits on a bull”).

--He routinely used obscenities and vulgarities with women employees that he did not use with male employees (such as telling women that they had put his “d--k” “on the chopping block”).

--Chillemi routinely cursed at and otherwise denigrated women employees and treated them in a demeaning way (including telling women not to be a “p--sy” but to “be a man”, and referring to women as being a “bitch”).

--He made a number of derogatory comments about pregnant women (such as regularly stating that a pregnant woman had “tits” that were “f---ing huge” and like “cannons” or “melons” and the on-air talent’s breasts needed to be “covered” or not shown when the pregnant woman was being filmed).

--In addition, at a department discussion about a segment on sexism in the workplace, Chillemi said that in choosing who to hire “if it came down between a man or a woman, of course I’d pick the man. The woman would most likely get pregnant and leave.”

--Women in the Fox Advertising and Promotions departments supervised by Chillemi were also referred to in a derogatory way by a supervisor as his “Promo Girls.”

The suit more broadly charges that Fox has discriminated against Weiler and an other female promotions employees by assigning women primarily to freelance positions with less benefits, less advancement potential and less job security and not appropriately assigning women to full staff positions.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:21 AM

Classy guy, sounds like a real professional.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Its not only bad language, its bad language.

bad languages are pretty bad - he is a foul mouthed person
Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Poor choice of wording - at times - but sexual harrassment? Questionable... Does having a foul mouth necessarily equate sexual harrassment?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Fox News -It's Only "Bad Language", Not Sexual Harassment

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
--In addition, at a department discussion about a segment on sexism in the workplace, Chillemi said that in choosing who to hire “if it came down between a man or a woman, of course I’d pick the man. The woman would most likely get pregnant and leave.”
How is this not sexism? Harrassment I don't know, but illegal I would hope so. Don't we have laws in place regarding hiring? Seems like a pretty straightforward thing to me.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
In addition, at a department discussion about a segment on sexism in the workplace, Chillemi said that in choosing who to hire “if it came down between a man or a woman, of course I’d pick the man. The woman would most likely get pregnant and leave.”
This, and this alone, is precisely what you want to eliminate with employment laws. Fox should fire him on this statement alone.

As for the rest of his poor management style and foul language, I'd hate such a lawsuit to suggest that men can tolerate hearing foul language, but women cannot.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

My Advertising and PR course prof used to be in sales for AT&T/Lucent and when she was pregnant the first time, one of her male co-workers walked right up to her and said "wow Pam, you're sure getting fat!" Too bad that guy was the department loser and my prof. was one of the best sales people, with children or otherwise.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
I can't imagine a work enviroment like that one
Old 11-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
As for the rest of his poor management style and foul language, I'd hate such a lawsuit to suggest that men can tolerate hearing foul language, but women cannot.
So would I, and we've certainly seen plenty of lawsuits that suggest that, but I'm not sure that applies here. It sounds like this complaint specifically locates much of that "foul language" in the context of unequal treatment of male and female employees--i.e., the female employees are being singled out as an audience for the airing of their VP's hostile (to women) views.
Quote:
--He routinely used obscenities and vulgarities with women employees that he did not use with male employees (such as telling women that they had put his “d--k” “on the chopping block”).

--Chillemi routinely cursed at and otherwise denigrated women employees and treated them in a demeaning way (including telling women not to be a “p--sy” but to “be a man”, and referring to women as being a “bitch”).
Do you take issue a priori with the concept of a hostile workplace environment?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

There's foul language,and there's foul language that's sexist and demeaning and constitutes a hostile work environment.

What is the need to use language like that in a work environment? It's unnecessary and crude, not to mention completely unprofessional. I would consider language like that to be harassing. Especially in the context of unequal treatment.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Do you take issue a priori with the concept of a hostile workplace environment?
The concept of a hostile workplace is imperfectly defined. Not all bad acts are punished and those with legitimate claims of being targeted may not be able to establish a claim because of their gender. I would prefer a system that targeted bad acts consistently.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
Refugee

Sounds like a dick to me.

Sexual harrassment? No.

Either way, I wouldn't want him as my boss.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If my boss called me a bitch and commented on the size of my breasts, I would definitely consider it harrassment.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
T harassing.
harassing , yes... but sexual harassment ..no

but in my books no sexual harassment if the boss doesnt hint ( repeatedly or non-repeatedly) at wanting sex or sexual favors or direct or indirect threat of consequences or consequences if you refuse anything relating not to work.

guy is a jerk
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
Refugee

that is so unbelievable
especially when it seems like that issue had come so far

so intolerable