Fox News *is* biased, so says FN London Bureau Chief - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Well think about what a left wing equivalent would be. It's not CNN and it's certainly not the BBC. It would just be people like Michael Moore screaming "It's all about oil!!!" and other ridiculous things. The key word is: Dumb. You can watch Fox News for all the entertainment and hysteria you can handle, but you won't actually learn a thing. That's not saying that you can't learn anything from the conservative/right wing view point, because you most definitely can (there are plenty of great right wing writers, eg Mark Steyn), it's just saying that that particular outlet isn't that - it's the right wing equivalent of a Michael Moore movie, except it's on 24/7 and even Michael Moore readily admits that there is a very definite goal with his films, while Fox News hides behind "Fair & Balanced" etc.

And yeah, I know that Murdoch is right wing by nature, but I don't believe that a) he would have put Fox News on the market if he didn't think it would boom or b) he wouldn't ignore his own political leanings and put a left wing channel out there if he thought it would line his pockets. Here in Australia he owns, like everywhere, a truckload of newspapers in all capital cities, as well as Australias only national paper (USA Today equivalent). Some lean right, some lean left and it depends on what else is on the market in each city.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Everything Earnie said.

.although it still sometimes gets to me, even when I know it shouldn't. like when I was eating dinner at a friends house whose parents are uber-conservatives (in the way of having pictures of the Bushes around their house) and we were watching Fox. And I realized they've dubbed the nuclear option the "constitutional option."

Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Fuck em, read the weblogs and you will find a diverse range of opinions and detailed analysis of issues even if it is broadly in line with your own points of view.
Yeah, love the blogs.

I also try to read the ones in direct opposition to my opinions tho'--know thy enemy and all that rot.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Saying Fox News and Michael Moore are essentially the same thing is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

Fox News reports the news with a conservative bias. Oh well, there is plenty of left-leaning media out there.

Michael Moore...ugh.......I was going to write a bunch of stuff here, but if you can't tell the difference between Michael Moore and Fox News then you're beyond help.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:51 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Michael Moore...ugh.......I was going to write a bunch of stuff here, but if you can't tell the difference between Michael Moore and Fox News then you're beyond help.
Yeah, you're right.

Michael Moore occasionally says worthwhile and interesting things.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Saying Fox News and Michael Moore are essentially the same thing is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

Fox News reports the news with a conservative bias. Oh well, there is plenty of left-leaning media out there.

Well you're right because MM doesn't hide his bias.

They both try, they both have bias, and they both screw up.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #52
War Child

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax

Maybe that stuff flies on other politics forums, but not in FYM.

And yes, I would say the same thing if a lefty posted that Republicans should die.

not trying to cause shit, but someone did and they were not repremanded, considering my bud spencr00 was banned, whats up with that. lets be fair now(and balanced )
Old 06-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, Fox report with a conservative bias, just as a lot of other media report with a left leaning bias. I have no problem with that, none at all. I wish all media were straight down the middle, but it's never been that way and it never will.

It's not the bias.

And yes, I think Michael Moore himself is the perfect equivalent of most of the personalities I've seen on Fox News, and his style and purpose are very, very similar to those used on Fox News.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

this is precisely the misconception that's out there that the quote that kicked off this thread should put to rest.

yes, the media is filled with bias, though for the life of me i cannot find much left wing bias (i can find lots of ad sales drive bias), however FoxNews has a specific *agenda* that it seeks to drive home with each and every broadcast, piece of reporting, and certainly with each and every single personality driven "talk" (more like "scream") show it has on in prime time.

there is *no* liberal equivalent to FoxNews on TV. none. Fox stands alone in pushing propaganda as news.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Exactly. There are of course agendas from individual journalists on both sides, but Fox News are the only ones who do it at an institutionalised level throughout the whole organisation, as strategy, without any thought whatsoever for the truth, let alone 'fair and balanced'. Not only that, but similar to Michael Moore they drag it down to the dumbest of dumb levels and, again similar to Michael Moore they present it wrapped in all the B.S, bravado and sensationalism of your average propaganda film.

I watch Fahrenheit 9/11 and it pisses me off. I am left leaning, I disagree with most of the Bush Admins moves and motives post 9/11. But that bullshit film is the most high profile face of, apparently, my beliefs? That film set the cause of left leaning people with half a brain back a decade. If I was conservative I'd be pissed at Fox News too, for the exact same reasons. No wonder people think you're all war mad, homophobic, narrow minded, religious nutcases who want the Western world to return to 1950 and the rest of the world to be bombed back to 1650.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #56
War Child

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is precisely the misconception that's out there that the quote that kicked off this thread should put to rest.

yes, the media is filled with bias, though for the life of me i cannot find much left wing bias (i can find lots of ad sales drive bias), however FoxNews has a specific *agenda* that it seeks to drive home with each and every broadcast, piece of reporting, and certainly with each and every single personality driven "talk" (more like "scream") show it has on in prime time.

there is *no* liberal equivalent to FoxNews on TV. none. Fox stands alone in pushing propaganda as news.
i'd have to agree
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I find that bias in fox news is not found so much in the news portion, the reporting of events, rather the analysis of those events by panels of talking heads. Either way the internet is a much better place to get information and get informed.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #58
The Fly

Local Time: 05:16 PM
The myth of the liberal media lives on.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Yeah, Fox report with a conservative bias, just as a lot of other media report with a left leaning bias. I have no problem with that, none at all. I wish all media were straight down the middle, but it's never been that way and it never will.

It's not the bias.

And yes, I think Michael Moore himself is the perfect equivalent of most of the personalities I've seen on Fox News, and his style and purpose are very, very similar to those used on Fox News.
I agree. Fox is biased. Only an idiot would claim that MM isn't biased. There's no such a thing as a lack of bias in the media.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeking Adam
The myth of the liberal media lives on.
One of the liberal media's favorite topics!