fox news and clear channel in bed together? never would've thunk it... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Krusty for Kongres

In all seriousness political contributions from Fox employees was significantly more for the DNC than GOP. All this whining about it being the most slanted station in the history of mankind, that it is controlled by the Republicans etc. is most likely attributed to the fact that it not the same as all the other major stations and it is actually growing. What other station would run a program like Eurabia? It fills a niche and I think that that can only be a good thing, having a media that is for all intensive purposes monolithic is a very bad thing.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Krusty for Kongres

In all seriousness political contributions from Fox employees was significantly more for the DNC than GOP.
Do we have anything to back this up? And I'm not even sure if this would really mean anything, where are the CEOs leanings would really be the question to ask.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Krusty for Kongres

In all seriousness political contributions from Fox employees was significantly more for the DNC than GOP.
Oh please. Where did you hear this? Probably on Fox, right? *LOL* This is exactly the problem with Fox. They constantly spew embarrassingly misleading, dubious and sometimes even manipulative information. So when you hear this statistic again, please do me a favor and ask what constitutes "Fox employee"? Is it just those employed at the Fox News Channel in New York? Or is it Fox Broadcasting Company, which has about 200 affiliates across the globe. Does it include all the employees at 20th Century Fox in Hollywood and Fox Searchlight Pictures, the New York Post and about 200 other print publications around the globe which are owned by Fox? And then, does it include just the employees who influence policy? Or does it mean the janitors, the researchers, the copy editors, the production artists, the web developers, the drivers, the best boys, gaffers and key grips?

All I care about is who Roger Ailes supports. And we all know the answer to that.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

It was on a third party site extrapolating from that database that showed political contributions from - to be more specific - fox news employees. In any case the network does have a particular slant in its reporting but considering the spectacular failures of some of the established media organisations recently accusations against Fox and only against Fox of bias and sloppy journalism seem a little bit myopic.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:35 AM
NY Times is blatantly left-leaning, but they don't get half the flack that Fox gets for being more favorable to the right than other establishments, or as they say, "The mouthpiece for the White House....."

Does Fox lean somewhat right in a lot of their OP-ED PIECES? Sure....but they always present an opposing view. However, I dont' believe they have a right-wing view on their news reporting, I think it's accurate. Even Jon Stewart said so, and he's not exactly a staunch conservative, is he?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:35 AM
whoop

CCC having a 69er with Fox.. interesting.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:38 AM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 07:35 AM
I also bring up another point that Jon Stewart made on Crossfire. Just because you present both partisan sides of an issue doesn't make your news coverage impartial. It just means you spin it both ways.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dano
I also bring up another point that Jon Stewart made on Crossfire. Just because you present both partisan sides of an issue doesn't make your news coverage impartial. It just means you spin it both ways.
In effect, you're presenting two opinions and not just one.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Okay, maybe not "far left" but left leaning would be a more fair way to put it.
I agree with your first point more. The NYT is a far left newspaper; and pretty much every media research report I've read supports this.

Funny how liberals hate Fox News because it openly leans right, while close their eyes to liberal leaning stations (CNN, MSNBC) and the vast majority of the print media. I guess whatever suits the cause.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The Disciple
NY Times is blatantly left-leaning, but they don't get half the flack that Fox gets for being more favorable to the right than other establishments, or as they say, "The mouthpiece for the White House....."

Does Fox lean somewhat right in a lot of their OP-ED PIECES? Sure....but they always present an opposing view. However, I dont' believe they have a right-wing view on their news reporting, I think it's accurate. Even Jon Stewart said so, and he's not exactly a staunch conservative, is he?
Exactly. Fox actually lets both sides speak, which is what I want. On the other hand, the New York Times for example is pretty much silent on giving both sides of the arguements.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

I agree with your first point more. The NYT is a far left newspaper; and pretty much every media research report I've read supports this.
I find it very humerous that the NYT is considered "far left". I don't think you've really seen far left yet. I've seen far left, and that isn't it.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Funny how liberals hate Fox News because it openly leans right, while close their eyes to liberal leaning stations (CNN, MSNBC) and the vast majority of the print media. I guess whatever suits the cause.

the "liberal" media is a myth. it was concocted in the late 80's/early 90's by right wing think tanks, and even the architects of the plan, Bill Kristol editor of the Weekly Standard and a neocon, has stated that it was simply an element of the right doing what they could to "work the refs."

seriously.

and let's not even mention the right-wing echo chamber of Drudge-Fox-Talk Radio that gave legitamacy (!!!) to the fully erroneous claims of the Swift Boat Veterans that.

no one works the media better than the right, and hats off to them -- they do it superbly.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:35 AM
You don't think the New York Times is even a little left of center?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Shhh... the neocons keep the big lie going and if you question it you will be liquidated.

Whats really dumb is that Fox is the evil conservative monolithic thing controlled by conservative Rupert Murdoch and yet they will air the gay church welcome advertisment that CBS refuses to.

And there is no massive liberal media, but there certainly is a slant among some circles of journalists that can be reflected in articles; case in point when terrorists are called millitants and activists, the Bush administration is called the Bush regime (SBS World News), the fake memo's and subsequent refusal to acknoledge that for a week, and yes the SBV who were all labelled as discredit and liars by the media without even after some of their claims were substantiated by the Kerry camp.

There are definitely right wing influences in media, talk radio works very well for the right but it would be very dumb to suppose that the left are victims of some vast right wing conspiracy and that they have little or no influence.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
You don't think the New York Times is even a little left of center?
Read my post again...I said far left. BIG difference.