Former U.S. President Carter Condemns Abortion Culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think denying teenagers accurate, scientifically and medically sound information about the use of contraception for the sake of bolstering theocratic notions of the necessity of virginity is the best way to promote a culture in which abortion -- which almost always occurs as a result of an unplanned pregnancy -- is necessary.

Carter: Americans were misled on war

Former president says Bush policy is a 'radical departure'

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Former President Jimmy Carter said Friday that there isn't "any doubt" the American people were misled about the war in Iraq and that President George Bush's policy on the war is a "radical departure from the policies of any president."

In an interview with CNN, Carter addressed some of the comments made in his new book, "Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis." In the book he says the Bush administration was determined to attack Iraq using "false and distorted claims after 9/11."

Carter said the Bush administration spoke of mushroom clouds, weapons of mass destruction and the threat of thousands of Americans dying to garner support for the war. No weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq.

He was careful to say he didn't know whether intelligence was misinterpreted or purposely twisted, and Carter praised the attempts by his fellow Democrats in Congress to press efforts to look into the matter. (Watch how the Senate went into secret session over the intelligence used to back the war -- 3:05)

"If the investigation would go ahead and proceed, as Democrats have been trying to in the Senate now for more than 18 months, then we will know the circumstances under which the American people -- and I think an entire world -- was misled about what was going on in Iraq," he said.

Carter added that he had seen no evidence the White House was involved in the CIA leak investigation that ensnared Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, last week.

Libby is accused of lying to investigators and a grand jury probing the disclosure of the identity of a CIA officer whose husband had challenged administration claims that then-Iraqi President Saddam Hussein had been trying to restart his nuclear weapons program.

Carter also said that the administration's pre-emptive strike doctrine directed against the possible future use of weapons of mass destruction is a spurious basis for a war when there is no immediate threat to America's security.

"We'll bomb, strafe and send missiles against their people even though our security's not directly threatened," he said. "This is contrary to international law. It's also contrary to what every president has done in this country for more than 100 years, Democrat or Republican."

deep said:
Carter also said that the administration's pre-emptive strike doctrine directed against the possible future use of weapons of mass destruction is a spurious basis for a war when there is no immediate threat to America's security.

"We'll bomb, strafe and send missiles against their people even though our security's not directly threatened," he said. "This is contrary to international law. It's also contrary to what every president has done in this country for more than 100 years, Democrat or Republican."

Hey, Carter and me actually agree! Even Carter says that Bush broke international law! A little late after two full years... but better late than never.

Now I´m just waiting for STING2 to refute this ridiculous leftist Carter and quote resolution 1441.

I agree with Carter.

A conservative constitutionalist is nominated for the Supreme Court, and you have all the psycho-libs in the senate screaming about abortion. I feel sorry for any liberal who is more passionate about all the other issues that the modern Democratic Party is putting little to no effort into promoting. It seems more and more that other than the Iraqi war, the Democrats are becoming a one-issue party.

Mr. Carter said. "I think our party's leaders -- some of them -- are overemphasizing the abortion issue. Afterall, no one ever got pregnant from one lusting in their heart."

Well, not everything that comes out of his mouth, of course. :wink:

Irvine511 said:
i think denying teenagers accurate, scientifically and medically sound information about the use of contraception for the sake of bolstering theocratic notions of the necessity of virginity is the best way to promote a culture in which abortion -- which almost always occurs as a result of an unplanned pregnancy -- is necessary.
I think much of the problem is beared by the Center for Disease Control. For some reason, they find it absolutely necessary to educate kids as young as five years old about masturbation and sexual intercourse.

Macfistowannabe said:
I think much of the problem is beared by the Center for Disease Control. For some reason, they find it absolutely necessary to educate kids as young as five years old about masturbation and sexual intercourse.

Alright...where's your proof? I don't buy this remark.

Melon

melon said:

Alright...where's your proof? I don't buy this remark.

Melon
http://www.siecus.org/pubs/fact/fact0003.html

Level 1: Middle Childhood, ages five through eight; early elementary school.

Level 2: Preadolescence, ages nine through 12; upper elementary school.

Level 3: Early Adolescence, ages 12 through 15; middle school/junior high school.

Level 4: Adolescence, ages 15 through 18; high school.

Information
To provide accurate information about human sexuality, including growth and development, human reproduction, anatomy, physiology, masturbation, family life, pregnancy, childbirth, parenthood, sexual response, sexual orientation, contraception, abortion, sexual abuse, HIV/AIDS, and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Just like I thought. You have no proof.

That link does not say that they're teaching "masturbation and sexual intercourse" to five year olds. In fact, short of saying that they've created different "levels," they don't even describe what they would teach to those different levels.

Secondly, that's not even the CDC. It's a private PAC that advocates policy on sexual education, but, clearly, the government does not have to listen to them.

Melon

Macfistowannabe said:
http://www.siecus.org/pubs/fact/fact0003.html

that group was formed in 1990- 91

and I don't see a connection with Carter or the Dem. Party.

It does seem to have some good information, though.

Just a question, Macfistowannabe ?

do you disagree with these "stated values."?

ARE THE GUIDELINES BASED ON VALUES?

The Guidelines are based on specific values related to human sexuality and are consistent with values that reflect the beliefs of most communities in a pluralistic society. Each community will need to review these values to make certain the program is consistent with community norms and diversity. Values inherent in the Guidelines include:

Sexuality is a natural and healthy part of living.

All persons are sexual.

Sexuality includes physical, ethical, social, spiritual, psychological, and emotional dimensions.

Every person has dignity and self-worth.

Young people should view themselves as unique and worthwhile individuals within the context of their cultural heritage.

Individuals express their sexuality in varied ways.

Parents should be the primary sexuality educators of their children.

Families provide their children's first education about sexuality.

Families share their values about sexuality with their children.

In a pluralistic society, people should respect and accept the diversity of values and beliefs about sexuality that exist in a community.

Sexual relationships should never be coercive or exploitative.

All children should be loved and cared for.

All sexual decisions have effects or consequences.

All persons have the right and the obligation to make responsible sexual choices.

Individuals, families, and society benefit when children are able to discuss sexuality with their parents and/or other trusted adults.

Young people develop their values about sexuality as part of becoming adults.

Young people explore their sexuality as a natural process of achieving sexual maturity.

Premature involvement in sexual behaviors poses risks.

Abstaining from sexual intercourse is the most effective method of preventing pregnancy and STD/HIV.

Young people who are involved in sexual relationships need access to information about health-care services.

Abortion and contraceptives of any kind should be banned. They don't solve any problems, they just create them, by giving people the false illusion of consequence-free sex. Who cares if I have sex, I'll just wear a condom! And if I get my girlfriend pregnant by accident (which can't happen because condoms are infallible [/sarcasm]), then she can just get an abortion! How wonderful! so now we have teens with HIV/AIDS who thought that the condom would protect them against anything, and it didn't. Abstinence is the only 100% protection against pregnancy and STDs. Abortion is just a false illusion of security.

show_don't_tell said:
Abortion and contraceptives of any kind should be banned. They don't solve any problems, they just create them, by giving people the false illusion of consequence-free sex. Who cares if I have sex, I'll just wear a condom! And if I get my girlfriend pregnant by accident (which can't happen because condoms are infallible [/sarcasm]), then she can just get an abortion! How wonderful! so now we have teens with HIV/AIDS who thought that the condom would protect them against anything, and it didn't. Abstinence is the only 100% protection against pregnancy and STDs. Abortion is just a false illusion of security.

You don't seriously believe all contraception should be banned, do you? I mean even the most right-wing, abstinence-only types generally recognise that contraception should be available even if they do put some weird conditions on its availability, for example believing it should only be used by married couples since they're the only people who should be allowed to have sex. If you really believe all contraception should be banned then what you're actually saying is that the only legitimate reason for two people to decide to have sex is to conceive a child. Is that what you're saying?

Edited to add: Your acknowledgement that condoms aren't 100% effective is actually a good reason for abortion to be available to women as it proves that no matter how responsible a couple are with regard to contraception, it's still possible for the woman to become pregnant.

show_don't_tell said:

are you serious:eyebrow:

There are a ton of people who don't think like that. Anyone who has a false illusion of them needs to be properly educated.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

You don't seriously believe all contraception should be banned, do you? I mean even the most right-wing, abstinence-only types generally recognise that contraception should be available even if they do put some weird conditions on its availability, for example believing it should only be used by married couples since they're the only people who should be allowed to have sex. If you really believe all contraception should be banned then what you're actually saying is that the only legitimate reason for two people to decide to have sex is to conceive a child. Is that what you're saying?

Edited to add: Your acknowledgement that condoms aren't 100% effective is actually a good reason for abortion to be available to women as it proves that no matter how responsible a couple are with regard to contraception, it's still possible for the woman to become pregnant.

Yes, I do think that it should be just for concieving children. That was the original purpose. Fine then, contracceptives shouldn't be banned, but they should be restricted. Teens should not have access to them.

It isn't possible for the woman to get pregnant if she doesn't have sex.

show_don't_tell said:
Yes, I do think that it should be just for concieving children. That was the original purpose.

According to whom?

5 bucks says you're a guy.

show_don't_tell said:
Yes, I do think that it should be just for concieving children. That was the original purpose. Fine then, contracceptives shouldn't be banned, but they should be restricted. Teens should not have access to them.

What original purpose? As defined by who?

And it's strange that you're so passionately anti-choice yet you support denying women the resources which would prevent them being in the situation in which they would consider having an abortion. Surely if you're opposed to abortion then you should support any measures which make it less likely that a woman will be in a position to consider abortion.

But who are you to make that decision for her? It isn't up to you to tell a couple what they can do in private. I don't think it's unrealistic to say the majority of couples have sex for reasons other than to get pregant, who are you to deny them that? Who are you to tell people they're only allowed to have sex for the purposes of procreation and to deny them the contraception which would enable them to have sex with a dramatically reduced risk of pregnancy?

show_don't_tell said:

The original purpose if you subscribe to the whole religious/Christian side of things, which a few odd billion on this planet do not.

Quite simply, whatever your views are need respecting. That is a right everyone should be afforded. As this world is not run nor dictated by the doctrines of any one particular church, then those who do not see sex as a means only for creating babies need to be respected and we need to agree to find a working arrangement for those who are outside that religious loop to spare teens and young people from unwanted pregnancies - in ways which are NOT based on a bible or set of tennets that do not shape their lives in any way.

It's insanely simple, really.

show_don't_tell said:

Yes, I do think that it should be just for concieving children. That was the original purpose.

You can't be serious:|

If sex was just for procreation, it wouldn't be so pleasurable.

If you are coming from a religious means then you have absolutely no evidence of this ridiculous statement.

Read Song of Solomon. They aren't talking about procreation.

Macfistowannabe said:

:rolleyes: Complete bullshit, no where in that link does it say anything of the sort.

Welcome to FYM

Now speak in facts.

Back
Top Bottom