Former President Clinton Speaks Some Truth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ever heard of the expression "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" ?

Well, today I was watching a political convention and a funeral broke out.

Very few true voices (on civil righst/equality of all) have been heard since the
death of Martin Luther KIng Jr.

He was not a racisist.

*we seem to be still fighting over the crayons*

Bluer White said:
Ever heard of the expression "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" ?

Well, today I was watching a political convention and a funeral broke out.

:up:

the iron horse said:
Very few true voices (on civil righst/equality of all) have been heard since the
death of Martin Luther KIng Jr.

He was not a racisist.

*we seem to be still fighting over the crayons*

When Mrs. King said that her husband would not have stood for all this anti-gay fervor in America today, people refused to listen to her--despite the fact that one of MLK, Jr.'s closest advisors, Bayard Ruskin, was openly gay.

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions." - Coretta Scott King, 1998

When you say there's been a void in civil rights since the death of MLK, Jr., I couldn't agree more.

Melon

While I think it's good to see the President get a roasting to his face, which is something that US politics just don't have a forum for (check out British or Australian parliament, or the distinct difference in the way the media in those countries treats their Prime Ministers - daily), I agree that a funeral is certainly not the place to do it. Some well placed remarks about the state of affairs today and how they relate to that legacy, of course, but not a direct assault like that. It's just not cool at all.

I dunno,based on what we have heard about Coretta King, I suspect she may have loved the fact that they gave it to Bush when he had no place to run, indirectly because of Mrs. King.

trevster2k said:
I dunno,based on what we have heard about Coretta King, I suspect she may have loved the fact that they gave it to Bush when he had no place to run, indirectly because of Mrs. King.

I'm sure her wishes were respected.

Well it does seem a bit "unseemly" but if Dr. King and Mrs. King has waited for the "appropriate" times to speak their minds and to call for action, where would we be today?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well it does seem a bit "unseemly" but if Dr. King and Mrs. King has waited for the "appropriate" times to speak their minds and to call for action, where would we be today?

Dr. and Mrs. King's lives were political (and spiritual); I don't think it's that inappropriate that Mrs. King's death/funeral was as well. It just goes to show how desperate people are getting to get GWB to listen. He doesn't seem listen to anything but the voices in his head so this is what it's come to.

MrsSpringsteen said:

great point.

i'm pretty certain CSK *loved* it.

joyfulgirl said:
He doesn't seem listen to anything but the voices in his head so this is what it's come to.

:lol:

people can bash GWB all they want at my funeral :wink: not that anyone would come to mine, but yeah. I invite all FYM Bush bashers :D

joyfulgirl said:
He doesn't seem listen to anything but the voices in his head so this is what it's come to.

if by voices you mean, "the Lord Jesus whispering into his left ear" ...

MrsSpringsteen said:

Perhaps further along?

I know partisian interjection gives joy for some. But it is not always the most productive choice of action.

But wisdom teaches you to pick your battles. Come out swinging at every turn and you won't get far.

nbcrusader said:

Come out swinging at every turn and you won't get far.

It was not merely partisan, one for thing. Whether you agree with the susbtance of his statement or not, it addressed an issue much larger than a political party.

Second, CSK's funeral is an incredibly powerful symbolic opportunity to reflect on her values and her challenges to our society (which like MKL went far beyond racial civil rights to include war and poverty), and the fact that we are still failing to meet them. Hence it was a completely appropratiate and effective opportunity to point that continued failure out.

I think the funeral of a civil rights hero in a time of war and uncertainty is the MOST appropriate time to pass the torch for a call to action.

But if the overall tone of events was just to be critical to Bush, then I would agree that's not going to be productive.

That article is isolating a select few critical comments for people to continue wagging fingers in the other direction.

nbcrusader said:

Well I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

I wasn't sure if you were speaking politically or in terms of manners.

I thought you were speaking in terms of manners at first but then you said this:

"I know partisian interjection gives joy for some. But it is not always the most productive choice of action.

But wisdom teaches you to pick your battles. Come out swinging at every turn and you won't get far."

And I thought otherwise.

If MLK didn't interject or come out swinging every turn, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere. If he only waited for those times when people wanted to listen to him, we'd still be there.

OK--this will piss most of you off: Bishop Long, of the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, made a television appearance today and spoke of his disappointment of the political jabs inserted into what should have been words of praise and remembrance for Mrs. King.
Also, a member of the family on Coretta's side made a statement to the Neal Boortz Show (based in the ATL), this morning, announcing that the family was "quite upset" about the politicking shown at their mother's funeral.

CBS) Former President George H.W. Bush has expressed dismay and anger at attacks on his son, President Bush, at the funeral for Coretta Scott King.

"In terms of the political shots at the president who was sitting there with his wife, I didn't like it and I thought it was kind of ugly frankly," the former president said in an exclusive radio interview with CBS News White House correspondent Peter Maer.

"Anybody that shoots at the president of the United States at a funeral, I just didn't appreciate that," Mr. Bush added.

Former President Bush also had praise for his friend, Bill Clinton: "I thought President Clinton was maybe the best. It was his crowd. They talk about Bill Clinton being 'the first black president,' well when you walk into that church with 12,000 or whatever it was, I mean it was very clear who that crowd loved and respected."

"As for what exactly a bad day for Bush might look like, oh, how about being a captive audience member at the funeral of a civil rights pioneer in front of thousands of people, none of whom voted for you except the woman sitting right next to you and possibly your dad."

'Daily Show' host JON STEWART

Back
Top Bottom