Former Lt. Gov. of Texas helped Bush avoid Vietnam combat (aka Leave Kerry Alone) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Former Lt. Gov. of Texas helped Bush avoid Vietnam combat (aka Leave Kerry Alone)

Considering all the bad-mouthing against John Kerry's wartime record, I thought this might be of interest to those potential voters...
Dumya apparently forgot to bury all of his skeletons. It seems that the former Lt. Governor of Texas Ben Barnes confessed to a few people that he helped our "Chickenhawk-in-Chief" leader into the National Guard to avoid service in Viet Nam Meanwhile Dumya's henchmen still were arguing whether John Kerry bled enough to get a purple heart.

Guess What? It got caught on tape. Ahhhh, confession is good for the soul. Your turn George.

Does anyone have access to this video, so we can place a link on this forum? I'm not sure how to go about it.

Anyway, I just watched the video and it's real. Too bad for HIMMMMMM

Old 09-01-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Video here:

http://69.59.167.160/

Salon is reporting that he'll be on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-01-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bush's supporters will make some excuse about this, and contiinue to attack Kerry.
Is it me, or is this the most vindictive and
nasty campaign in memory?
I'm getting really tired of these attacks
on Kerry's Vietnam record. And I know full well it's GOP stragedy.
Uh oh...Bush's non-record of Nam service against Kerry is a problem.
I know! Let's attack Kerry and get the
pressure off.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Can anyone from either side please tell me, preferably in as few words as possible, why it matters & what either W's or Kerry's service history has to do with being a President in 2005?

Lets not get too pious here guys. This bullshit is being spouted from each side.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:54 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
While Kerry earned a Silver Star and a Bronze Star after saving a crewmate's life under fire on the Mekong River in Vietnam, by contrast, the Georgie that Allison knew was a young man whose parents did not allow him to live with the consequences of his own mistakes. His powerful father -- whom the son seemed to both idolize and resent -- was a lifeline for Bush out of predicaments. After Bush graduated from Yale in 1968, his slot in the Texas Air National Guard allowed him to avoid active duty service in Vietnam. The former speaker of the Texas state House, Democrat Ben Barnes, now admits he pulled strings to get Bush his coveted guard slot, and says he's "ashamed" of the deed. "60 Minutes" will air an interview with Barnes next Wednesday, but George H.W. Bush denounced Barnes' claims in an interview aired on CBS. "They keep saying that and it's a lie, a total lie. Nobody's come up with any evidence, and yet it's repeated all the time," the former president said, in what could just as well describe the playbook for the Swift Boat Veterans ads.

Yet, after receiving unusual permission to transfer to the Alabama Guard from Texas, Bush has produced no evidence he showed up for service for anything other than a dental exam. Later, Bush would trade on his father's connections to enter the oil business, and when his ventures failed, trade on more connections to find investors to bail him out. Linda Allison's story fills in the details about a missing chapter in the story of how George Bush Sr.'s friends helped his wastrel son. The Bush campaign, decamped to New York for the convention, did not return a phone call by late Wednesday.
From: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/09/02/allison/

Salon.com attempts to reconstruct W's missing year in Alabama.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

If John Kerry wants to make his war record a huge part of his campaign, then he automaticly opens it up to debate. many vietnam vets put kerry in the same category as jane fonda... they feel betrayed by his comments after he returned to the states. and while i do not support any ads that are flat out lies, like the first swift boat ad... the newest ad, that features kerry's own voice slamming those still in vietnam, i can't really complain about these people anymore.

if kerry didn't want his vietnam record up for debate, he wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. maybe if he spent some more time telling the american people exactly what in the friggin hell he stands for NOW, this whole vietnam issue wouldn't even exist.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:21 AM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Completely off topic, but I dig the sig, Headache.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Although I'm happy that the guy is going public, I wish more people would listen to Ange--I'm more interested in what they're thinking and doing here and now than what they did in the 70s.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think it all started with Republicans claiming you shouldn't change an experieced Commander-in-Cheif at this point in the war. Bush has and is still very foolishly questioning Kerry's ability to be Commander-in-Chief, so that's when Kerry started to display his military history. It's gone way overboard, an informed person would have made their mind up already if they thought either one was able. I think now they are campaigning to those who aren't informed and can easily be influenced. Unfortunately, I think this election will come down to them. May the best propaganda win.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Millitary History does not equal good presidential skills by default. Many a poor president fought bravely for their country and many a great president never fought at all. The president has to lead the nation, make the tough decisions and look out for the national interest all the while being a skileld politician, millitary service is not a prerequisite - something that the Democrats stood by during the Clinton years when Clinton defeated two genuine war hero's. I am getting pretty sick of people touting Kerrys 4 months in Vietnam as proof positive he is a great CiC, as if he is Eisenhower, The Iron Duke and Alexander the Great all rolled into one because he served 4 months in a conflict many of his supporters (and Kerry himself) protested against by attacking the veterans - but people ignore the little anti-war bit because its fun to play nice. Kerry made Vietnam a pillar of his campaign, his actions in relation to the war are totally up for scrutiny as they represent a pattern of his political career, not backing millitary spending, voting against the Gulf War etc. This is politics people, its dirty and decisive - get used to it.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yes we've heard it all before, but take a look at both canidates before they were president and please tell me how in the hell Bush would make a greater Commander in Chief? There's nothing...
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Angela, I agree with you. This has nothing to do with the substantive issues of the day like Iraq, the economy and health care. But, this is a heated, crazy presidential election and people are coming out of the woodworks all over with dirt on the candidates. I think this campaign will go down in history as "the Dirty Laundry Campaign From Hell". I've been through alot of campaigns, and there have been ridiculous, nasty things in all of them. I'm not unhappy that this guy is coming out with this stuff, but this whole campaign has been defined, in my opinion, as *the* post-9/11 campaign and this benefited Kerry in the primaries because he looked good on national security to Democratic voters.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Kerry has made is military career an issue in the campaign. It appears that at some level, Kerry may be misrepresenting his military career.

No one on the right is claiming Bush had a better military record than Kerry. The issue is Kerry's veracity in retelling his record.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
Refugee

Yes, yes...we all know that character SHOULDN'T determine who's president, but it DOES! That's the main reason Bush got election in the first place (albeit by screwing methods in the Supreme Court and the Florida Election Board).

The history of Kerry in Vietnam and the gut he had to stand up for what was right, while Bush was playing in the southern parts of Dixie, means that Kerry is lightyears ahead of Bush in intellect, experience, and wisdom. Remember all those Oliver Stone movies about Vietnam; Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Heaven and Earth; and The Deer Hunter, COming Home, Full Metal Jacket..etc...remember how popular those movies are and how hated the Vietnam War was and IS? Why is Kerry being attacked for supporting the views that are synonimous with those films?

Why are we beginning to change history, by stating that Vietnam was a noble fight?

Yes, character shouldn't determine the president, but it does and always will. And Ralph Nader has the best character...that's why I'd vote for him...if I could...because I live in a backward state (Oklahoma)...where I can't vote for anyone but Bush/Kerry/or the Libertarian. Yeah...this sucks.